Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-14, 11:04

Plan: Atkins-ish :)
Stats: 365/243/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Diindolylmethane (DIM)

Has anyone ever taken this? It is supposed to help reduce androgen levels in women. I am attempting to treat PCOS symptoms naturally. I have had great success through diet alone - my once MIA cycles have come back and remain fairly regular as long as I keep my carbs low. However, the hirsutism isn't letting up AT ALL. I do not want to take prescription anti-androgens so I am looking into supplements that might help along side my low carb lifestyle.

Anyone have any experience in this department at all? I am completely new to supplementing beyond a multi and fish oil.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-14, 11:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yes, I took it for awhile. I didn't have PCOS, but was taking hormones and my ND thought it would help guard against cancer.

So, for me I had no noticiable effects whatsoever. Doesn't hurt to try it. The rather formidable sounding ingredient is one that comes from veggies.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-14, 11:41

Plan: Atkins-ish :)
Stats: 365/243/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I was able to find a bit more information about it by harnessing the power of google

I now understand why it was recommended to you Nancy! I think you are right, it certainly couldn't hurt to give it a try. I don't suppose you can overdose on crucifers I DO eat quite a bit of them regularly in my diet.

*Well, I have discovered that MANY vitamin brands of DIM contain soy which I am so upset about! I am searching for a brand that is soy free.

Last edited by Namaste! : Fri, Jan-24-14 at 11:52.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-14, 19:10

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Just FYI, I tried Sarsaparilla for skin issues I suspected were hormone imbalance related. Seemed to help.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-14, 16:24

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Funny you should ask, I just ordered some a couple days ago. I'm already using spearmint tea a couple times a day which helps some. They are supposed to work better together.

From the reading I've done, the follicles of fine hairs change under the influence of excess androgen so that they begin producing coarse hairs. Once that change has begun, there's no switching back -- for as long as that hair is growing. Follicles have a 6-month period of growing, then they go dormant for a while before they begin to produce another hair. So, you have to try out any regimen for at least 6 months to see if it will work.

I've found useful and hopeful information on Chris Kresser's website. What have you found? This whole topic is pretty emotionally charged for me and I get depressed thinking about it.