Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 11:47
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 145/140/? Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Default Paleo exercise

I just wanted to know what everyone here does for exercise. When planning your exercise, do you take into consideration what types of exercise Paleo people would have done?

Because I have a warped sense of logic, I always do the opposite of what I'm "supposed" to do. So I don't make "exercise plans" because I break them almost on purpose because I hate the commitment!

Anyhow my main strategy is to not use my car very often. I walk to work every day which combines commuting time with exercise and saves me gas money. I do this rain/shine/snow/ice. When there's snow, it's an even better workout. This gives me much needed sunlight and over an hour of exercise each day. When I have errands like grocery shopping I walk to the grocery store and carry the groceries home. (Of course this means I have to go shopping often, but that's OK). I also like thinking that Paleo people probably would have exercised like this. Walking, lifting things, carrying things. All the other exercise I get involves fun. I go dancing on the weekends, hiking, snowboarding, skating, whatever. None of this feels like pain, it's all pleasure, even the walk to work.

What do you guys do?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 12:02

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

From what I read, our cave ancestors did as little as possible if they could help it. They walked, gathered and expended lots of energy when they actually hunted. They only hunted when required because there were no refrigerators available to store things ahead of time. Stefansson also wrote that the Inuit, who followed their traditional diet, spent most of the winter inside doing nothing and yet remained lean and fit.

As for me, I have asthma and arthritis, and initially I did no exercise at all. I now walk at great deal and I don't avoid going up and down stairs like I used to. This seems to be enough for now. Once I lose more weight, I'll see.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 12:09

Plan: Neanderthin/Protein Power
Stats: 160/155/138 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

I think planned workouts are a drag,
I hate aerobics, I don't like exercising
just for the sake of exercising.

BUT! what I did do was take a job that
gets me outside regularly lifting, carrying,
cutting brush (I work on a survey crew).
The only organized regular exercise I have
ever been able to stay with is Tae Kwon Do.
Exercise, and I get to learn to kick butt! woo hoo!
Gotta love it. I have a brown belt, been at it for years and years.

Plus, on the weekends, for the last year,
and probably the next couple of years,
we have been building our house. Lots and lots of lifting and carrying.
When I get the time, I am looking forward to putting in a garden,
and working in that.

I probably need to do more cardio, though.
If I don't drop some pounds when we start the next
building project, I might consider taking a walk with
the dogs every once in a while.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 13:53

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 270/210/150 Female 65 inches
BF:50?/VERY/22
Progress: 50%

I am interested to hear about what other people do b/c I have recently started going to the gym, and don't quite know what I should be doing. I am recovering from a back injury, and walking on the treadmill has helped alot (it is more even than pavement) with spasms, etc... I do a few weight lifting excersises, but I would like to hear from other's experience before doing anything to severe. I am considering the program from the neanderthing book, but I worry about some of the exhaustive weightlifting and my back. I am really focused on strengthening my back more than anything, although getting toned is a very close second! Thanks in advance.
btw, I am following my chiropractor's advice in my current regime (walk at least 20-30 minutes daily) I just feel like I could be doing more!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 18:19

Plan: Neanderthin/Protein Power
Stats: 160/155/138 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Bekkers, for my $.02 worth, find a really good massage therapist. It is so worth it. Both my husband and I had serious, lingering problems from old injuries, and now we are fine. We got through the entire house build with no injuries. I directly attribute it to our massage therapist. It's great! It will really speed up your recovery.

Plus, if you have never had a massage, it is GREAT!
Hope you get better quickly.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 22:42

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 270/210/150 Female 65 inches
BF:50?/VERY/22
Progress: 50%

batgirl, thanks for the tip! I have been thinking lately that a really good massage therapist would probably have been such a great help, I wish I had looked into that sooner, but I am keeping an ear out for somewhere to go now!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 06:37
Registered Member

Plan: neanderthin
Stats: 183/137/115 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

My excercise program is walking around feeding and tending the animals, gardening and walking with the dogs and the kids.

Ren