Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-05-23, 05:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Harvard has been Anti-Meat for 30 years

Harvard Has Been Anti-Meat for 30+ Years—Why?

From Nina Teicholz's public SubStack, free to share. Thorough, detailed article, often focused on Walter Willet' career in supporting the anti-red meat stance.

https://open.substack.com/pub/unset...tm_medium=email

Quote:
Red meat is bad for health. We hear this from virtually all our nutrition authorities, and so, it must be true. Far less well known is the fact that this fear of eating red meat can mainly be traced back to a single person, Harvard’s Walter C. Willett, the first and most prominent anti-meat champion in academia. Indeed, in 1990, the year before he started his 25-year reign (1991-2017) as head of the highly influential Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health (HSPH), Willett said it’s “quite possible” that “no red meat” was the optimal amount to eat.1 His more recent work has involved leading an international effort for a near-meatless diet for all people, globally. Yet this passion has never had a foundation in solid evidence. Rather, it has been based in a mixture of personal ambition, bad science, financial interests and bias.

Willett’s unswerving advocacy for vegetarianism helps provide some context for his latest paper (paywalled), claiming that red and processed meat are “strongly associated” with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes. As the accompanying Harvard press release explained, “participants who ate the most red meat had a 62% higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes compared to those who ate the least.” The findings spurred at least a hundred headlines worldwide, including this one in The NY Times and another in the Washington Post (syndicated from Bloomberg): “Drop that Hot Dog if You Value Your Health.”

Scary news indeed for the more than half of American adults estimated to have pre-diabetes or diabetes in 2012 (today’s number is no doubt higher), and this news will surely give many people pause about choosing steak instead of something from “plant protein sources,” which the Harvard researchers say are not only healthier but also better for the planet. “Swapping red meat for healthy plant protein sources would help reduce greenhouse gas emissions and climate change, and provide other environmental benefits,” they assert. The climate change implications are serious, and we should not dismiss them, yet we’re concerned here about human health—and so will stick to that. …Continues at link
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-05-23, 08:20

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I just read this. It's utter nonsense. 'Nuff said.

My husband just recently got his blood sugar to go from 160 - 170 down to 105 - 115 by ditching most carbs. And trust, me, I eat a TON of red meat (no diabetes or high blood glucose here), so HE also eats a ton of red meat. His health and my health are improving day by day.

The media does not help, to say the least.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-05-23, 08:53

Nina did a thorough take-down of the anti-red meat studies, influence of donations from vegetarian supporters, etc.
She must be exhausted from repeating this information ever since her book was published in 2015.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-23, 08:45

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

This line made me almost laugh - if I wasn't so appalled by how stupid it makes the writer sound:

Quote:
“Drop that Hot Dog if You Value Your Health.”

Hot dogs come in all kinds of meat - pork, chicken, turkey, beef, or a combination of two or more meats. It's increasingly difficult to find all beef hot dogs, which is the only legitimately RED meat in that list. Most hot dogs are made from some combination of meats (with fats), plus salts, usually with some sugars added, and sometimes a grain binder component.

Then there's the issue of the nitrites/nitrates used to preserve them, except the "no nitrates" ones that have celery derivative in them that is a natural nitrate.

But the thing that really made me laugh at how incredibly stupid it sounds is that hot dogs are a very poor source of protein. At most, the standard hot dog will have the equivalent of one ounce of protein in it. Hardly the same as a 4 oz hamburger, which has... Surprise - 4 oz of protein, approximately the same as a 4 oz chicken breast, or 4 oz pork chop.

I could give up the hot dogs easily - I rarely eat them anyway (but always bunless), because they're just not satiating, unless you eat enough of them to get a decent amount of protein.

But how many people eat more than one hot dog in order to get enough protein? A lot of people rely on the bun and some relish/slaw/sauerkraut/condiments to help fill the stomach, because one hot dog all by itself certainly isn't going to fill the stomach.

And how many carbs is that big fluffy hot dog bun providing? 15? 20? 30? More? The bigger the bun (to provide a little more filling of the stomach - and hold more of those toppings), the more carbs.

And yet it's that tiny little bit of red meat protein in your 1 oz hot dog that's the problem. (assuming your hot dog has any red meat in it at all)

The leaps of logic go beyond all sense of reason.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-23, 04:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Then there's the issue of the nitrites/nitrates used to preserve them, except the "no nitrates" ones that have celery derivative in them that is a natural nitrate.

And how many carbs is that big fluffy hot dog bun providing? 15? 20? 30? More? The bigger the bun (to provide a little more filling of the stomach - and hold more of those toppings), the more carbs.

And yet it's that tiny little bit of red meat protein in your 1 oz hot dog that's the problem. (assuming your hot dog has any red meat in it at all)

The leaps of logic go beyond all sense of reason.

And these are essentially lies, because we can't draw any conclusions from "Remember what you ate this last year" questionnaires
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-23, 11:59

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
And these are essentially lies, because we can't draw any conclusions from "Remember what you ate this last year" questionnaires

I just finished being a subject in a supplement study (NIH-funded). Twice I was asked to provide a detailed list of what I ate the previous day. I found it much harder than I expected.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-23, 20:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I just finished being a subject in a supplement study (NIH-funded). Twice I was asked to provide a detailed list of what I ate the previous day. I found it much harder than I expected.

Exactly - unless you keep a constant food diary of every single thing you eat, or eat the exact same thing on the same day of the week every single week, it's hard to recall what you ate the day before, much less a month's or a year's worth of food.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-23, 04:28

BF:

"Red meat" is from ruminants. Eating grass eaters is how I get a full spectrum of amino acids and a surprising amount of nutrition that gets along with my digestive system.

It's possible that autoimmune patients (since I agree with Dr Terry Wahls that it's all one disease, presenting in different ways) have a special affinity for red meat. So many of them, like me, see an inflammatory flare squenched in record time. By eating only red meat, salt, and water for a period of time.

For instance, it's a great source of postassium, a nutrient people are chronically short of. They aren't eating ENOUGH red meat, and they need it without the batter/bread wrapper.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-23, 04:30

BF:

I also appreciated Nina's pointing out there is nothing but his own belief system and financial rewards distorting the data.

IF we actually look at the science, as science writers do, we know there's nothing there.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-23, 04:46

But now, Willett has his name on a new paper questioning the US Dietary guidelines re starchy carbs. Tip-toing to a reversal on % of carbs??

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=485680
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-23, 14:08

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

This is a great interview with Dr Zoë Harcombe:

Quote:
In October 2023, a study came out of Harvard claiming that eating red meat can put you at an increased risk of type 2 diabetes. Hang on a minute? What??

It’s well known that eating excessive carbohydrates and sugary treats can lead to this diagnosis, but meat?

Red meat contains no glucose or carbs

This study made no sense to me at all, so I contacted author and researcher, Dr Zoë Harcombe, who has a PHD in public health and nutrition. She examines new research papers every week and had a swift response to this study.

I interview her in the video below and what she reveals about this study is quite shocking. Wait until you hear what they count as red meat!

In the interview Zoë mentions an article, by investigative journalist Nina Teicholz, on the author of the Harvard study. I have added the link below in case you’d like to take a look:

Harvard has been anti-meat for 30+ years – why?

Click here to watch the video

#12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-23, 21:59

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thank for the links, Demi. It was a good interview. Walt Willett strikes again. He must be getting ready to have a new book published. I would expect to see it in the fiction or fantasy category.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-23, 04:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
But now, Willett has his name on a new paper questioning the US Dietary guidelines re starchy carbs. Tip-toing to a reversal on % of carbs??

They do have to tiptoe with the changes because then they don't have to admit they were wrong all along.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-23, 12:09

BF:

Quote:
Wait until you hear what they count as red meat!

We've pretty much known for years that when they do these food studies, they blame red meat/eggs/bacon/etc for every ill.

But when Zoe questioned him about why everything was listed on the food questionnaire EXCEPT starches/grains and sugars...

When anyone who is even thinking with a half a dim lightbulb knows that starch and sugar are the primary components of the SAD diet....

Especially in conjunction with the "unprocessed red meat" called hamburgers...

And his brilliant answer was "we didn't have room for that on the questionnaire"

Another 2-3 food items: Starches/grains and sugar.

But THEY DIDN'T HAVE ROOM for any more items on the list!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-23, 14:17

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Richard Feinman in his book "The World Turned Upside Down” called nutritional science an oxymoron. Zoe Harcombe demonstrates how true this is.