Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-23, 03:23

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
On top of being poor, they've often got to work extra hours or jobs and that leaves little to no time for meal prep. Pile kids into that and it becomes an impossible seeming task.

It's so much easier to eat badly when we are poor. The endless stretcher carbs with the can of tuna, eating lots of toast with the stale bread on sale, and now I understand Wal-Mart has a discount pastry rack where someone can get a dozen day-old donuts for a dollar.

There's nothing for a dollar in the meat section.

I think the "fear of meat and dairy" only accelerates this process. I made lots of Hamburger Helper and mixed the nonfat milk powder with whole milk, when it was four of us and single mom.

But we got milk and butter and hamburger. Now, who does?

I have been SHAMED for eating only the insides of sandwiches. "Wasting" bread! Which is essentially vitamin-enriched wallpaper paste, fluffed up like ice cream.

We've always eaten bread, people tell me. No, no. Read Wheatbelly, and the British struggles to bring back the real bread of the 19th century. New rising methods lack the nutrition that gets made into Vegemite. (As I understand it.) Sounds like a vegan Frankenfood to me

But today's vegans don't even get that. They completely ignore protein. And I'm likely on the high end (5'7", size nine shoe, if I go below a size 8 I'm underweight) so I'm not a petite person. And I need 120 grams a day.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-23, 06:11

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

This is the website for a newish restaurant in my small town. When I moved here this place was a diner type restaurant. Then it became a Mexican restaurant and was quite successful but closed after the pandemic. Now it is this vegan abomination, spreading the gospel according to veganism, the new religion. It also seems to be quite popular.

https://www.veganaf-vt.com/

Here’s how they describe themselves:

"Sustainable cuisine with
an edge
Vegan A.F. was born to bring vegan food to a higher level. Normalize it. Help mainstream it. We are the future of real food. We are committed to creating a space that is socially responsible through ethical eating.”

This is also on their website:

"LEAVE YOUR MEAT
AT THE DOOR"

This assumption that vegan food is ethically responsible as well as the most healthy way to eat seems to be becoming mainstream. Science be damned!

So I guess whether you are rich enough to eat in restaurants that aren’t just fast food or too poor to afford expensive animal proteins you are doomed to eating an unhealthy diet, unless of course you start educating yourself and figure out something that works for you and doesn’t put you in the poor house or puff up your ego about how socially conscious you are. Dementia may be on the rise but even without being demented one can act in ways that are counter to reality, like eating vegan and thinkng you are doing yourself and the planet the gretest good.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-23, 06:44

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
This is the website for a newish restaurant in my small town. When I moved here this place was a diner type restaurant. Then it became a Mexican restaurant and was quite successful but closed after the pandemic. Now it is this vegan abomination, spreading the gospel according to veganism, the new religion. It also seems to be quite popular.

https://www.veganaf-vt.com/
They seem to serve vegan hamburgers and vegan tacos. I guess that's so the vegans can pretend to be eating meat.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-23, 07:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
They seem to serve vegan hamburgers and vegan tacos. I guess that's so the vegans can pretend to be eating meat.

I've had a decent black bean burger. But unlike a regular burger, these processed foods are LOADED with oxalate. Which is a nerve toxin. On top of ZERO B-12.

It's got to affect their brains.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-23, 21:17

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
But unlike a regular burger, these processed foods are LOADED with oxalate. Which is a nerve toxin. On top of ZERO B-12.

It's got to affect their brains.

I’d venture that it already has . . . Virtue signaling is a fascinating dynamic that miraculously makes people feel so much better about themselves simply by feeling superior to others they don’t know and never will. Still trying to figure out that rationale or lack of . . .
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-23, 21:03

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
<...snip...>
Con Artist Paradise. That's what has been created. I hope we get regulations enforced. For a change.

As long as corporations are allowed to contribute unlimited funds to the campaigns of candidates, don't hold your breath. If elected, who are they going to represent.

So we have to stay on our toes and do our homework, there will be no regulation, so we have to work hard to protect ourselves.