Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 01:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/179/135
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Headaches

Just started induction last Saturday and have had terrible headaches and fatigue for the last few days. In addition, just the thought of eating more meat makes me feel sick to stomach.

Is any of this normal?? The first couple of days were heaven with the bacon and eggs, roast beef and shrimp scampii, but now I feel like crud.

I feel like throwing in the towel and making some toast, help please.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 05:07
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi kikid, welcome to our forum

Headaches, fatigue and lethargy are classic symptoms of low potassium. You can take it as a supplement in pill form, or the least expensive way is to use a salt-substitute, such as NoSalt, Half Salt or Morton's Lite Salt. These contain potassium chloride, and you just use as you would regular salt ... and it works just fine in recipes too. 1/8 tsp of the No Salt, which is all-potassium by the way (the others are mixed with regular salt) provides approx. 300 mg ... or the amount in a large banana .. minus all the carbs

Headaches and feeling cruddy are also sometimes a part of the carb-detox. Your body goes through a bit of a withdrawal as it rids itself of the carb wastes and by-products, and switches over to using ketones for fuel. Drink lots and lots of water to keep your kidneys flushed!

On the subject of menu boredom, check out Karen's "Jazz Up Your Induction" ... click on Tips on the red menu bar above, then scroll down. Meat tastes a lot better when there's some vegetables and salad to go with it. You are eating your daily portions of lowcarb veggies, right??

Keep us posted. And don't forget to say Hello in the Introductions forum, so more folks can meet you ..

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 08:12

Stats: 185/179/135
BF:
Progress:
Default thanks

Thank you, I will definately stop by the grocery this morning and get some.

I have been eating my salad, and veggie. I have been drinking much more water than I normally would too, and seem to go to the bathroom much more frequently.

Thanks again for the answer, and the support!

Kikid
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-01, 20:17

Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Thanks!

Sorry to hear you felt so bad... but it helped me alot! I have the same situation. My head hurts and I am nauseated. Want to eat some nice warm bread and get high! (wierd--how we find ways to do things) In any case, I am not going to do that. BUt I am going to take more cal/mag, make sure I have ton's of water and eat smaller meals...also adding a digestive enzyme for all the protein....

Ramona