Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 13:58

Plan: none
Stats: 150/150/150
BF:
Progress:
Default Meat-eater going vegitarian

I eat meat and I can see that at my age (20) it would be a good time to start eating right. I'm not shure whether I will feel better with a vegitarian diet or not. That is why I am going to try it. After every week I will post how much better I feel if I even feel better or healthier . I usually eat about three hamburgers a week. I have a lot of will power so I will keep the diet for al least a month. You can comment on my notes if you want.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 14:15
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Good luck going vegetarian! I have been one for 7 years now and cannot imagine going back.

You can still have your hamburgers, just try some of the soy based burgers. You can find them in the breakfast section of the frozen foods of the grocery store.

Can't wait to read your posts!

Paleo
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 23:45

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

You may want to check out going vegetarian VS your blood type. Check out 'Eat Right For Your Type' by Dr. D'Adamo. If you are a blood type O or B you may want to rethink going vegetarian. Since you are eating meat now may I ask why you are considering going vegetarian? And what type of vegetarian? From you post it 'suggests' you think eating meat isn't 'right'. Does that mean you think it isn't healthy or isn't fair to eat an animal? (In which case you may want to read "The Covenant of the Animals". I'm not *really* trying to discourage you from going vegetarian, but it is very difficult going low-carb and vegetarian, especially if you are blood type O or B. I ate an ovo-lacto, but high complex-carb form of vegetarianism for 14 months--I became diabetic. Diabetes does NOT run in my family at all. I do now eat animal protein, but I also eat a lot of eggs, cheeses, and soy products. I also eat a lot of fat and have found the fat stabilizes my blood sugar and my cholesteral has actually come down quite a bit eating all this fat--which fairly flys in the face of the AMA dietary recommendations.
As to bean, the only beans that aren't high carb are 'black' soy beans (they have about 1/4 the carbs of other types of beans) and they are just fine in chili! They are hard to find, but well worth it.
Post back and let us know, we'll help you find the 'right' way for you to eat
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 13:51

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for replying
I not doing this because I think it's wrong to kill animals for food.
I'm just trying to eat better. I am worried about getting protein because I haven't stopped growing. People have said you can eat peanut butter for protein but peanut butter is just a piece to the protein puzzle. You would need to eat other thing with it to get your protein. I have considered what you said about the blood time and I don't know what blood type I am but I will continue being a vegitarian. So far I feel good but it is a change in my eating habits and I do feel a little light-headed. I feel like my body is starting to cleanse it's self. I have a little bit more energy. I have a feeling I will be able to keep it up for a long time. But I'll have to see. I am 155 pounds and my height is 5'10.
I'm a little bit over weight, I think. I exercise ocasionally but spend most of my time in front of the TV. I don't drink milk or eat any dairy products. I'm not shure about whether I will be getting to much carbohydates. I would like to know a little about that.
Thanks
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 15:02
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just curious saverain, you said that you are still growing so I'm wondering how old you are?

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 15:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I eat meat and I can see that at my age (20) it would be a good time to start eating right.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 22:42

BF:
Progress:

Not to be rude or anything but I allready posted my age(20).
Studies show that your bones don't stop growing untill the age of
25 and that is why I am concerned about getting protein because I haven't stopped growing!

If you like to help me I would be greatful but I don't like it when people try to under-mind me and are not trying to help me.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 01:53
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Hey saverain-

Actually, at 20, it is not so much that you are still growing it is that your bones don't completely fuse until 23-25. The last bone to fuse is the clavicle (collar bone). If you are male, you might grow another 1/2 inch or inch but there won't be another major growth spurt or anything.

As far as your protein concerns-there are short chain proteins and long chain proteins in foods. We all need long chain proteins for both muscle growth along with cell growth, etc. Animal protein is long chain and many veggies are short chain. If you eat enough short chain protein veggies, they will combine to form long chain proteins. You mentioned that you don't drink milk or eat dairy. You might want to consider adding some cheese to your diet for two reasons. One, it is an easy way to get long chain proteins in your diet (as well as fat and calories) and two, there is a certain vitamin that ONLY comes from animal foods (one of the B vitamins). It cannot be synthesized from vegetable matter like other vitamins can be. A really good multivitamin can take care of this, but please be aware that it is still coming from animal products.

Just FYI-Gelatin comes from cow hooves. Many people who are out of induction use sugar free jello as a treat. I don't eat it due to the fact that it contains animal hooves. Hunt's snack packs don't have gelatin in them, but I have not found a sugar free version.

I personally love being a vegetarian and have not found it that hard to go lc while maintaing my vegetarianism. Going out to eat is the only really hard part. They don't have a lot of lc dishes that are vegetarian in restaurants. I just get lots of salads.

Paleo