Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 13:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/167/140
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Depo Provera?

Hi,

I'm on the birth control shot Depo Provera, could that be the reason it's been a little difficult for me to lose weight? If so, does anybody have any good ideas for other brands of BC? Thanks!
AmyEllly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 13:41

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

I use Alesse 21 tablets. Its called the mini-pill. I asked my doctor to prescribe a pill that wouldn't cause weight gain, and this is the one she recommended. You should talk to your doctor about the shots, or any suggestions he/she may have.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 13:57

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Depo has gotten a pretty bad rap, I know a lot of women who have been really messed up by it. A moderator here, by the name (and screenname) of Kristine actually went on LC to improve symptoms caused by Depo, among other things. You may want to check out her story.

In general, chemical contraceptives can stall weight loss in some people. The only way to know for sure is switch brands, I think. Are you experiencing other unwanted side effects?

Hope you figure it out.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 15:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/220/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:too much
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb

I recently got my tubes tied. I was on depo, HATED IT.

We are done having kids anyway.

Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 16:39

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Never heard anything good about it, that's for sure.

The Orgasmic Diet: how's that for a head turner?
http://www.orgasmicdiet.com/step1.htm
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 16:50
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 158.5/124.4/112 Female 60 in.
BF:33%/26%/???
Progress: 73%

I was on Depo several years ago & gained about 20 lbs on it. I just couldn't control my appetite. It seemed I was ALWAYS hungry! I'm on the pill now (Ortho Tri-Cyclen) and it hasn't really had any impact on my weight (loss or gain). But, some people gain weight on the pill. Our bodies are just all different...

Paty
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 22:36

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Im on Depo as well.. Since I started on it when I was 17 I pretty much have been consistently gaining weight..

I was off of it for a period of two years, and the end of that two years I decided to exercise my ass off and i lost a bunch of weight.. then of course I met my current boyfriend (of 3 years now) and well, I went back on it because of the convenience..

I dont get my period, which is just amazing, especially since they used to last 9 days or so...
and I HATED taking the pill.. either I Would forget, or if I didnt forget, taking the pill after awhile would just make me gag.. it would feel like it got stuck in my throat and i would just about gag all damn day.... so.. Id love an alternative to Depo, but there arent any others out there that are such low maintenance.. I can handle the slow weight loss that Im experiencing now with LCing, as long as Im losing weight... so.. yeah, Depo definitely slows weight loss and increases chances of weight gain for a lot of people... let me know if you find any alternatives that arent pills!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 23:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

There's another current thread going on this topic here:

Birth control and low-carb: best options??

Karen