Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 08:04
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%
Default Your Body Fat Is Talking To Your Brain. Here’s What It’s Saying.

Your Body Fat Is Talking To Your Brain. Here’s What It’s Saying.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/your-b...5463564887.html

Quote:
The conversations are about your metabolism and your stress levels, so listen up!

The concept of stress eating is nothing new: When you’re frazzled, you’re more likely to reach for a pint of ice cream over an apple.

But scientists have discovered that there’s more at play than just nerves. New research published in the journal Psychoneuroendocrinology found that your body fat sends signals to your brain that affect the way it deals with metabolism and stress — and it may even impact how much stress eating you do.

For the study researchers found that a glucocorticoid receptor (which regulates genes controlling your body’s stress response, among other things) in fat tissue directs the brain to regulate its energy balance, helping to cope with stress.

So essentially, your body fat is talking to your brain about how stressed you are. That could have a big impact on your body.

Here’s why: Those signals regulate the part of your neuroendocrine system that controls your reactions to stress, as well as many of your body’s functions like digestion, mood, sexuality, energy storage, and your immune system. As a result, your body fat can directly impact many important functions of your body, including your stress response.

Study co-author James Herman, PhD, a professor of psychiatry and behavioral neuroscience at the University of Cincinnati, tells Yahoo Health that it’s possible that excess body fat can mess with that stress signaling, causing you to eat more.

It can be a vicious cycle, too. Herman notes that weight gain can give people a negative body image, which is a psychological stressor. And when extra body fat and stress is combined, it can cause your body to feel even more stressed out…and then turn to stress eating.

Herman says more research is needed before scientists know exactly how this signaling process works, but he points out that the new research shows that stress isn’t just in our heads: “These findings tell us that stress is a whole-body problem.”

Unfortunately, researchers aren’t sure if losing weight can break the cycle. “Fat cells expand and shrink, and stress hormones are part of the ‘expansion’ process,” Herman explains. However they don’t know yet whether those hormones actually reduce as fat cells shrink with weight loss.

While stress eating can lead to weight gain and obesity, it has a role — at least, historically speaking. “From the evolutionary perspective, the stress response is designed to increase energetic resources to meet or anticipate a physiological challenge,” says Herman.

When our brains get the message that we’re stressed, it views it as an emergency and signals to the body that we need more food for energy to cope with the stress.

But since most of our modern-day stressors are more in the realm of work deadlines and less hunting wooly mammoths for food, we’re often not actually using that extra food from stress eating. As a result, we just end up gaining weight and feeling even more stressed out.

Herman acknowledges that stress eating is an issue for a lot of people, and says awareness of this fat-brain communication can help. But he says the key to beating stress eating (and subsequent weight gain) is just to reduce your overall stress levels.

Did you hear that, fat cells?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 09:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/205/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 60%

Thanks for the good article, Judy.

It actually confirms what I had suspected about how my body reacts to stress,nerves and traveling.

When I'm home working, I weigh A LOT so I am very tuned in to the ups and downs of the scale!!

For me, this is what happens - If I have several huge presentations, perhaps on the road a good bit, even if I don't feel particularly stressed or nervous, I will see some up ticks in the scale despite following an IF protocol and not eating that much. Once I'm settled down (sometimes will take a day or two) those ticks come off....unless it is several days of lots going on...the scale will stay up again, until I'm done and relaxed (ie Sundays ).

Interesting stuff - at least to me. I've been following these ticks, my attitude and stress for a while and scale's reaction. I do realize that sometimes it could be other factors, but it does at least loosely correlate.

Glad to know it's not all in my head!!
Deanna
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 10:57
Attitude is a Choice

Its not all in your head, Deanna! No pun intended.

I think that I posted this as much for myself as anyone else.
I'm finding that in my long term maintenance, my focus has slipped away from my eating/food/weight and focuses now on things that really do cause me great stress and I do find myself overeating....and gaining!!

I clearly recall when I started this back in 2004, my focus was totally 100% on getting this right. Time goes on and things change, attitudes shift. I'm no longer a person who needs to lose over 100 lbs and my motivation is very different. I find myself struggling.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 11:02

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks, Judy. Good stuff. I wonder if this stress mechanism can be controlled by making sure when the stress-induced hunger message strikes, one only consumes wholesome fats and protein rather than grabbing that bear claw.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 13:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
So essentially, your body fat is talking to your brain about how stressed you are.

I suspect this is really true. I can say that many of my weight fluctuations have been when I was stressed. I know I gained my first 50 pounds after college when I was super stressed and on a veggie diet. Food was a way to cope.

lovinlita (sp?) did a great job on a LC diet but at least gave up on this site if not the WOE after developing adrenal fatigue. I miss her.

People come on here asking about exercise advice. My thought is do whatever makes for the least amount of stress, i.e. if it feels good, do it. If not? Don't.

Keep calm and keto on.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 13:21
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
it’s possible that excess body fat can mess with that stress signaling, causing you to eat more.

That's it? They didn't offer even the slightest data to suggest there is any reason whatever to suspect that the "signaling" (and only 'excess' not 'all' fat signals??) would say 'eat more.' In fact, in would seem reasonable that someone 20# overweight would in fact get LESS stress because the body is under less survival threat and has backup storage so to speak.

The rest of the article seems reasonable enough. That particular point though seems like the crux of it and yet, seems to be based on literally nothing.

PJ
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 15:17

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

It's ambiguous whether they established causality. If I understand correctly, epinephrine and the other stress hormones cause fuel to be released, not stored. I.e. glycogenolysis and lipolysis. If this is true, how can stress cause fat tissue growth? Makes no sense to me. The only way I can see that there's the appearance of causality is if the stress response is compensating for some other agent that makes us fatter like chronic hyperinsulinemia for example, there's correlation thus appearance of causality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_%28biology%29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight-or-flight_response
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epine...anism_of_action
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corti...abolic_response

Most pertinent here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight...sponse#Reaction
Quote:
Inhibition of stomach and upper-intestinal action to the point where digestion slows down or stops

How can the above and below both be true? (below, from the article)
Quote:
When our brains get the message that we’re stressed, it views it as an emergency and signals to the body that we need more food for energy to cope with the stress.

You see? Based on everything we know about stress, how can it cause fat tissue growth? It can't. But it can certainly compensate for another agent that does cause fat tissue growth. So remove the obesogenic agent, stress returns to normal.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 15:23

BF:

It just occurs to me that shutting down digestion makes a whole lotta sense. You need 100% energy for fight-or-flight, the gut needs tons of energy, shut it down, problem solved. This could also explain lots of digestive disorders especially constipation for example where it's reasonable to assume the gut is somewhat lazy, therefore the stress hormones must be involved, therefore there must be some primary agent that needs compensating for by those stress hormones.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 15:24

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

In rodents, stress reduces appetite--unless they're offered something like oreos. Maybe interest in food gets turned down--partly due to the increased availability of energy that Martin mentioned--so only really garish foods can catch our attention.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 15:28
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I wonder if this stress mechanism can be controlled by making sure when the stress-induced hunger message strikes, one only consumes wholesome fats and protein rather than grabbing that bear claw.

Its very easy to overeat low carb foods too. Ask me, I know!

I'm a stress eater. My stresses are way out of my control so I tend to overeat.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 15:39

BF:

I feel like I'm gonna be harping again but I also feel like it's pertinent here. Let's say the only thing that makes us fatter is carbs. Let's say that we're also a bit stressed all the time and in this context, the little bit of extra stress makes sense. Now we go low-carb, fix the only cause, 100% of the extra stress should be fixed too. Now let's say we go low-carb, we're still a bit stressed, this means carbs ain't the only cause, there must be something else going on. Fix that too, stress should go down some more, rinse repeat till all causes of stress are found and fixed. Just saying stress is a response, an effect, a symptom, not a cause.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 15:43

BF:

Personally, when I first went low-carb, stress went to zero. I was no longer edgy, twitchy, jumpy, all those words we use to describe stress. At some point, LC stopped working in several ways, one of which was that I started to get edgy, twitchy, and jumpy again. Oh yeah and most pertinent here is that I lost my appetite.

Last edited by M Levac : Fri, Jul-31-15 at 15:49.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 16:13
Attitude is a Choice

Some people, like myself, do not respond to stress by losing my appetite. Mine increases. Its not always about carbs, Martin.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 17:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Some people, like myself, do not respond to stress by losing my appetite. Mine increases. Its not always about carbs, Martin.

We think of it like this: "respond to stress". That's the problem right there. If we think we respond to stress, then we also believe something else comes after this stress. We believe there's a sequence of events linked causally with each event causing the next. Try something else. Stress is an effect, cravings/hunger is also an effect. What if both are effects of the same cause? There's no sequence. It's a parallel system. But what if any number of effects can occur at different times? So for example, stress comes first because it's the quickest. Then there's hunger and cravings later on. Since hunger/cravings come after stress, we see a sequence and infer causality between the two effects separated by time. In this case, since stress shuts down digestion, it can't be the cause of hunger/cravings, but since the two effects are separated by time, and since they're both effects of the same cause, we can then reasonably assume whatever causes both must have a much stronger effect on hunger/cravings, strong enough to override digestion shut down, which otherwise would certainly also inhibit hunger/cravings. If this is what happens, then we should also see bloating/feeling stuffed/constipation which indicates both shut down of digestion (nothing coming out, going through) and eating (something coming in). On the other hand if there's no stress, we should see bowel movement since digestion proceeds normally. All the while check fat tissue size. The whole idea is about fat tissue size, not merely eating, overeating, digestion speed, edginess, etc. This too is just another parallel effect of whatever causes the stress to begin with. Now since they're all parallel effects of a common cause, and since like you say it's not always about carbs, it's reasonable to assume the different causes will have a different set of effects so that maybe some will make us more hungry, others won't.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-31-15, 17:11

BF:

What if we're already pre-stressed by some unknown agent like an infection or deficiency? Any external stressor will be that much stronger. Just a tiny benign event like a door closing normally or a regular voice in the corridor will push us over the edge. If that unknown stressor acts on hunger/cravings constantly, then that little nudge will make us dig in that ice cream tub.