Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 08:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Leaky gut: Like a sieve

Yikes! I had another Enterolab test done where they check for antigens to a whole bunch of foods like various meats, tuna, soy, all grains, nuts. I came back intolerant to every single thing.

I suspect it is because I've been taking daily NSAIDs for my arthritis. It has given me major leaky gut. I'm on the road to more autoimmune diseases if I don't fix this.

Anyone know anything about leaky gut syndrome or how to fix it? I'm googling... probiotics, avoid NSAIDs (I think I can do that now), etc.

I think I need to find someone who can test this so I can see if I'm making progress.

ACK!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Mar-28-16 at 09:03.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 08:59

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Nancy - I did the Enterolab testing about 4 years ago and I tested positive for everything as well. I know that not everybody does. At the time I was pretty much housebound due to intestinal issues. I went on a very restrictive diet, cutting out all the offending foods (many of them I had cut out already). Things really turned around for me including the arthritis in my fingers. I still eat a very restrictive diet but I know longer have to be careful about fiber which would also set me off. So many health issues have gone away due to eating this way that I intend to stick with these restrictions for life. If there's any way I can help let me know. Nsaids are on my list of never take drugs.

Jean
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 09:04
Experimenter

BF:

What on earth are you eating? I seem intolerant of every source of protein, all nuts, dairy, eggs... everything I eat! I was looking for someone else's post on their results, was it yours? Anyway, couldn't find it!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 09:14

BF:

I did talk about it once but I don't think I posted my results but I did test positive for everything. For a long time I lived on ground lamb and homemade kale chips. I also eat venison and turkey and have been able to add back pork. I tested positive for pork but at the lowest level and I seem ok with it. I do very occasionally eat beef now, but not often. I will avoid chicken for life because even before I did the testing I knew it was a problem. So turkey lamb venison are my primary sources of protein and now pork. My diet is still mostly meat, veggies and lots of healthy fats (live oil, coconut oil and ghee). Mostly I avoid nuts but lately I have been eating brazil nuts for the selenium and I occasionally eat macadamia nuts but they are much to expensive for me to make into a regular thing. I don't eat dairy or eggs, no chicken. Like eating low carb, I got used to the restrictions and it's not hard for me to stick with this way of eating. I really like being able to leave the house.

Jean
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 09:16

BF:

Just to add, it's easy to be ovewhemed by these results, but I was so sick at the time that they were actually a relief for me. At least there seemed to be something I could do and then when it worked I was sold.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 09:23
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Jean,
You can eat turkey, but not chicken? How about duck? I'm also trying to figure this out, although I've taken no tests. I'm also having gut problems. Can you eat any fish?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 09:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Jean,
You can eat turkey, but not chicken? How about duck? I'm also trying to figure this out, although I've taken no tests. I'm also having gut problems. Can you eat any fish?

Yes turkey but not chicken. I can eat duck. It's just too expensive. I forgot to include fish. I can eat salmon (wild caught because I don't trust the farmed stuff), cod and haddock. Lately I've been eating canned wild caught salmon. For a while I couldn't eat it because of the high histamine content of canned fish but that problem seems to have resolved itself so canned salmon is back on the menu, which is good because wild caught salmon fresh or frozen is very expensive too. To understand what I was dealing with at the time here is my bit of TMI. I had severe diarrhea, up to 20-30 times a day. Quite literally everything I ate ran right through me. The only way I could stop it was by taking 6 immodium at one time and as soon as I tried to eat again it would come back. This was all day and all night. I was ready to try anything.

Jean
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 09:35
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Yes turkey but not chicken. I can eat duck. It's just too expensive. I forgot to include fish. I can eat salmon (wild caught because I don't trust the farmed stuff), cod and haddock. Lately I've been eating canned wild caught salmon. For a while I couldn't eat it because of the high histamine content of canned fish but that problem seems to have resolved itself so canned salmon is back on the menu, which is good because wild caught salmon fresh or frozen is very expensive too. To understand what I was dealing with at the time here is my bit of TMI. I had severe diarrhea, up to 20-30 times a day. Quite literally everything I ate ran right through me. The only way I could stop it was by taking 6 immodium at one time and as soon as I tried to eat again it would come back. This was all day and all night. I was ready to try anything.

Jean
Thanks for this information. I was thinking of going to eating only one type of protein and building from there. Nancy, what are you going to try?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 09:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Thanks for this information. I was thinking of going to eating only one type of protein and building from there. Nancy, what are you going to try?

That's what I did, one type of protein only. My choice was lamb because it seems to be less likely to bother people. Same with venison. The fewer foods you eat the easier it is to figure out if they are bothering you.

Jean
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 09:18

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Aw Nancy, I'm sorry you have that to deal with also. I'm sure you've done all your own research but I found this online:
http://draxe.com/4-steps-to-heal-le...immune-disease/
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 09:50
Experimenter

BF:

I don't think I'm super sick, but I can tell lately I'm acting older than I should be. Part of it is lack of exercise, so I've gotten back into gardening.

Looking at my results, I tend to think I'm reacting to the things I've eaten most just before I sent in the test. I haven't had pork much in a long time, so my results in pork were lower than the other meats.

I think I should probably address the leakiness before adding new things to my diet that might just get added to my list of autoimmune stuff.

I just read that L-glutamine might help.

I actually eat a lot of turkey already. They didn't test for it, I don't think. I have to assume everything I'm already eating is an issue.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 09:59

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

I have heard that [homemade] bone broth will heal (or help heal) leaky gut.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 10:04

BF:

Healing leaky gut is a two step process, remove the things causing the inflammation and add things that aid healing.

Jean
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 10:14

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Nancy, I have just finished reading "The Paleo Approach" by Sarah Ballantyne - an interesting read on autoimmune disease, and ways to heal through diet. Lots of science in it, but not too difficult to read. She has a blog site as well. I got the book on my kindle. You might find it interesting.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-16, 12:40
Experimenter

BF:

LG is something I've read about a lot over the years. Is there more to be done than stopping the NSAIDs, eating paleo, organic as much as feasible, taking probiotics and fermenting stuff? Oh yes, taking L-glutamine?

Actually, this looks very helpful: http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/04/...-leaky-gut.html

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Mar-28-16 at 12:47.