Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-03-20, 12:40

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%
Default Researchers Have Found That Plants Know They Are Being Eaten

Quote:
Vegetarians and vegans pay heed: New research shows plants know when they're being eaten. And they don't like it. That plants possess an intelligence is not new knowledge, but according to Modern Farmer, a new study from the University of Missouri shows plants can sense when they are being eaten and send out defense mechanisms to try to stop it from happening.

The rest of the article is here

https://www.businessinsider.com/pla...g-eaten-2014-10

It's light reading.

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-03-20, 13:35

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Ha ha. I remember a documentary about 30 years ago where Prince Charles said he could hear plants screaming.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-03-20, 15:25

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

lol.

Yup, I say my thank yous to the veggies, too. Afterall, they give their lives for us to eat. It took raising our own roasters to realize both meat and veg die for us to eat.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Mon, May-04-20 at 10:19.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 06:44

BF:

Life lives on life

Anything that lives needs to eat something that lives (or lived).
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 07:28

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Researchers Have Found That Plants Know They Are Being Eaten

I have almost completely eliminated vegetables from my diet and eat 99% fruit. Strictly because of toxins!

Though we might start an ethical movement My health IS an ethical issue, no?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 08:13

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I've posted this in another thread, but Tara Couture has a very realistic view of this topic. While she focuses on animals, her views apply to sustainable and non-invasive, non-harmful farming of vegetables and fruit as well. Yes, life requires other life for survival:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDr...eature=youtu.be
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 10:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I have almost completely eliminated vegetables from my diet and eat 99% fruit. Strictly because of toxins!

Though we might start an ethical movement My health IS an ethical issue, no?

Interesting twist!
Because fruits WANT to be eaten, right? So no lectins and other defensive chemical.....
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 10:39

BF:
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I've posted this in another thread, but Tara Couture has a very realistic view of this topic. While she focuses on animals, her views apply to sustainable and non-invasive, non-harmful farming of vegetables and fruit as well. Yes, life requires other life for survival:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDr...eature=youtu.be

"Shit!", she's got it right!!

Our land is very diverse. It is too rocky to till, and one area we leveled stripped off the top soil, which at the time was the plan.

Insects, amphibians, and wild birds are everywhere.

There is an orchard, where trees felled to put in. A small percentage of our acreage. And the variety is vast: wild blueberry, mulberry, peach, apple and pears. Its a space for song birds and butterfies and such. The forest animals use it too. The deer travel thru, the racoon visits, and far too many ground hogs.

And yes, the rabbit "shit" accumulated over the winter was repurposed over the garlic bed. Funny to see we have the same California rabbits as this woman, though ours are just rescued pets.

Still working on improvements.

And its called permaculture.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-05-20, 03:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
"Shit!", she's got it right!!

Our land is very diverse. It is too rocky to till, and one area we leveled stripped off the top soil, which at the time was the plan.

Insects, amphibians, and wild birds are everywhere.

There is an orchard, where trees felled to put in. A small percentage of our acreage. And the variety is vast: wild blueberry, mulberry, peach, apple and pears. Its a space for song birds and butterfies and such. The forest animals use it too. The deer travel thru, the racoon visits, and far too many ground hogs.

And yes, the rabbit "shit" accumulated over the winter was repurposed over the garlic bed. Funny to see we have the same California rabbits as this woman, though ours are just rescued pets.

Still working on improvements.

And its called permaculture.

It sounds wonderful!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-06-20, 06:36

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Fruit "likes" to be eaten? Reminds me of a hilarious romantic comedy (with the watchable Hugh Grant) called Notting Hill. One character claims to to be a "fruitarian" who only eats fruit which has already fallen on the ground, and is thus already "dead." At the time I thought this was a joke. Now I believe there ARE such people.

I haven't heard the broccoli screaming--but then, it has usually been frozen for a while before it reaches my house. The kale is shredded so its voice is tiny too.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-06-20, 07:01

BF:

I have known for a long time that plants communicate with each other.

When one tree in a forest gets attacked by insects, it sends chemical signals to its neighbor trees via the root system and the neighbor trees that haven't been attacked yet also start to produce toxins to repel the insects.

But this is the first I read that plants can "hear" the munching sound of insects and prepare themselves for an attack.

So perhaps talking and singing to your houseplants do work?

Bob
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-06-20, 07:03

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Funny, but maybe not so much. I had an acquaintance in the 80s who was a strict fruitarian; although, he didn't use that term. Very fit and an excellent martial arts instructor. His diet was "healthy" fruit washed down with large amounts of orange juice. Yeah, he was "healthy" until he was rushed to the hospital due to severe hypoglycemia. He was lucky, but I'm not sure he continued his fruitarian ways after that.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-06-20, 13:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Funny, but maybe not so much. I had an acquaintance in the 80s who was a strict fruitarian; although, he didn't use that term. Very fit and an excellent martial arts instructor. His diet was "healthy" fruit washed down with large amounts of orange juice. Yeah, he was "healthy" until he was rushed to the hospital due to severe hypoglycemia. He was lucky, but I'm not sure he continued his fruitarian ways after that.

Steve Jobs did, and look what happened...

I once read an The Fruitarian Experience: 1970-1980 account of a recovering fruitarian which was fascinating and scary.

Quote:
By the end of 1971, I was a practicing fruitarian; my diet was 75+% raw fruit. I lived in Florida at the time, and had year-round access to a wide variety of locally grown fruit (most unsprayed, some organic), including a wide variety of citrus, mangos, avocados, as well as "minor" fruits: papayas, bananas, carambolas, lychees, longans, coconuts, tamarind, and other exotics. I learned about wild foods, using the excellent book Wild Plants for Survival in South Florida, by Julia F. Morton, and included wild foods in my diet. For some of this period I had an organic garden, and grew most of the small quantity of vegetables that I ate, as well as watermelons, cantaloupes, and cucumbers. Also, during this period I regularly exercised outdoors in the sunshine, and enjoyed swimming at the beach.
My initial experience (1972 through early 1973) with 100% raw fruitarianism, after I got past the first major cleansing stages, was very positive indeed: my physical health improved, the need for sleep decreased, I had lots of energy (some of the time), and I had a pleasant "light" or "euphoric" mental feeling that I thought was a spiritual feeling at the time. Things went well for a while, and my spirituality seemed to grow as well. However, there were trouble signs, even in 1972--emaciation, constant hunger, frequent weakness, and intermittent fatigue.

He tried a 4 day fast which was disastrous, and recovered with lentil sprouts urged on him by a fellow raw fooder. Still, he slowly reduced these as his recovery solidified, because he wanted to be a "full" fruitarian.

Quote:
After fully recovering from the crash, I experienced a period of about 2 years when the diet seemed to work well for me, at least most of the time. During this period, cravings were not a problem (in retrospect, I was probably overeating both sweet fruit and avocados in the period). I refer to this period as a "honeymoon" on the diet. Not only did the diet work, but I achieved the "holy grail" of fruitarianism: I was on 100% raw fruit for around 2 years. This is a goal that many fruitarians talk about, but very few achieve. Note that despite my "perfect" 100% fruit diet, I was frequently weak--followed by periods of hyperactivity--during this period. This is the classic pattern of excess sugar consumption: sugar highs, followed by sugar blues--which is why I say that I was probably consuming excess sweet fruit during this period. Although these symptoms were a bother, they were trivial compared to my crash. [Some fruitarians become habituated to the symptoms of excess sugar consumption and regard them as normal!]

But the honeymoon, such as it was, came to an end.

Quote:
Additional problems during the post-honeymoon period included: severe muscle cramps--usually leg muscles, which may have been due to a calcium deficiency (most fruit is low in calcium); dental problems consisting of severe erosion of tooth enamel from acidic fruit consumption (enamel hypoplasia) and gum disease that required surgery (my consumption of excess sugar in the form of fruit may have been a factor in that); acid reflux (from eating too many dates); as well as the usual symptoms of excess sugar consumption (fatigue, sugar highs/blues, excess urination, constant thirst, etc.). As a "model fruitarian," my giving in to cravings was done in secret, as it seemed shameful to go off the "perfect, ideal" fruit diet. The only times I ate candy was on my foreign trips (and then only occasionally). In other words, I was engaging in the classic eating disorder behavior of binges and eating in secret. (I should mention that the amount and frequency of binge-eating was rather low.)

But he had achieved his goal: physical purity!

Quote:
Having achieved and experienced very high levels of physical "purity" with the associated "light" mental feeling, I can assure you that the real experience of physical purity is not as positive as others advertise it to be. When you are very "pure," you become very physically sensitive. On the fruitarian diet, your sense of smell is sharpened considerably. The disadvantage of this is that it makes normal life very difficult, as follows.
Sitting in a room with a smoker (even if he/she is not smoking) may be painful--you cannot stand the smell.
The smell of garlic cooking can be nearly as painful as tear gas.
When you step on a bus or train, you gag because of the smell of the people on board.
You meet an attractive person who also seems attracted to you, but you cannot get near them because of the smell.

Well, well. That is a social handicap After ten years of decreasing health, he eventually moved to lacto-vegetarian.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-10-20, 10:58

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Reminds me of the film Sausage Party where veg and other food items that, for their own sanity, think humans are gods until they get to the kitchen and find out the awful truth!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-11-20, 07:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_rose
Reminds me of the film Sausage Party where veg and other food items that, for their own sanity, think humans are gods until they get to the kitchen and find out the awful truth!

That was a funny film. I remember when the humans were noshing on those tiny carrots the other veggies screaming in horror, 'THEY'RE EATING BABIES."

I just read that that sweet smell of fresh mowed lawn is the defense chemical the grass is emitting to try to stop the grazers from eating it.

I don't have much lawn, I planted mostly xeriscape and native plants in my yard, but I do have some grass. Now when I mow it, I'll smell the grass screaming in terror.

Bob