Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-14, 06:44

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 260.4/201/180 Female 5'6"
BF:fluffy
Progress: 74%
Smile NSV - Non Scale Victory

Sometimes I can let those darn numbers on the scale ruin my day because they either didn't go in the right direction or if they did go down, the number wasn't low enough. Does anyone else get affected by the scale like this?

I would like to start a thread of Non Scale Victories ??

For example: today, I was able to dig into my box of smaller sizes. (Come on, I know you all have closets full of various sizes) And, I was able to wear a shirt that was a size smaller than what I started with (XL versus XXL) AND, not that any of you men would understand this, but, I have been hooking by bras in the second and third set of hooks instead of the first ones.

Share your NSV!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-14, 09:05

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Oh yes!!

I try not to let the numbers bug me. I always read on here, the best way to tell is to try on clothes! The scale isn't always a deciding factor, though it does help.

Two months ago I bought some sized 16 jeans and now when I put them on, they are not skin tight anymore--they are a little baggy!! I need a belt to hold them up now because they are cut low on the hip, and my hips are smaller, but my belly apron is not so much.... but still, it is a non-scale victory for me!!

The scale can be maddeningly slow to change at times. I thought I had plateaued again for what seemed like 2 months, couldn't get down from 187, and then BAM! Dropped down to 182-3 now for days! :-D YAY!

So never give up--keep going and you will all have non-scale victories too!

Best part is the new clothes shopping, which is now something I look forward to! It's almost like a relief. AND it's great to finally NOT have to shop in the PLUS sized section now. I can actually shop in the 'normal' section of the ladies department!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-14, 12:40

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugujo
Sometimes I can let those darn numbers on the scale ruin my day because they either didn't go in the right direction or if they did go down, the number wasn't low enough. Does anyone else get affected by the scale like this?

I would like to start a thread of Non Scale Victories ??

For example: today, I was able to dig into my box of smaller sizes. (Come on, I know you all have closets full of various sizes) And, I was able to wear a shirt that was a size smaller than what I started with (XL versus XXL) AND, not that any of you men would understand this, but, I have been hooking by bras in the second and third set of hooks instead of the first ones.

Share your NSV!!

I know EXACTLY what you mean, and it's really important to celebrate the Non Scale Victories!!! I read somewhere that as you progress, you'll sometimes see scale losses, other times the scales are maddeningly stuck yet you might be losing inches. Recently I saw that for myself. I had been stuck at one point for ages, but I somehow felt smaller, so I got out a bunch of old clothes that I haven't been able to wear for eons, and dang, most of them fit just fine for the first time in years and years, so that is a happy thing. I've also seen my weight go up over 2 lbs overnight so I now understand that I'm a person who bloats up very very easily from certain foods. You've just got to keep everything in perspective. As for bras when you lose weight....for me, I've been SOOOO happy to get smaller.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-14, 13:53

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

I have a small bedroom and there's not much space between the bed and the wall. When we first moved in three years ago I REALLY had to suck in to get in between when making the bed--I once got a very painful bruise because my gut got hung up on the headboard. I got a new bed about three months ago and the furniture guys set it up in the same place as the old bed. I was making the bed when I realized that I could now easily get in between the bed and the wall. Somehow it was as gratifying as fitting into smaller sizes.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-14, 14:19

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

1. I do 10-12 obstacle long distance mountain races every year with obstacles like scaling 10 foot walls. I often place a foot on a teammate's shoulder to get up and over, and they always say "c'mon don't be afraid- put all your weight on me." um, that IS all my weight?

2. Also when i am scared of very high walls, they just ignore my balking, and catapult me over, like i weight nothing.....

3. being told consistently, i don't know how hard it is to "diet" because i am "thin." Um, how do you suppose i stay that way?

great thread btw!!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-14, 15:59

Robin, that is too funny how they throw you over the wall.

Mandalay yea, think of the self abuse, not intended, that you talked about from trying to squeezing between those tight spaces.

Carole, I think part of this woe, is figuring out what works for ourselves and not having to mimic what someone else is doing.

Molly, as I unpack my "smaller" clothes, it will be like shopping for new clothes since they have been packed away for a couple of years.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-14, 13:27

I forgot to mention that yesterday a co-worker comment on how much weight I had lost. Yahoo for the compliments. Someone else is noticing.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-14, 15:20

I have gotten a couple of more compliments since Sunday about the wt loss too.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-14, 18:33

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

That is huge for me. Back in '99 I was losing at an average of 10lbs/month and it took about forty pounds before anyone said anything. I knew lots of people were just taught not to make personal comments, but that was tough on my motivation. Hubby tried to make up for everyone else's lack but it sure felt good when more people spoke up.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-14, 00:04

Plan: Keto
Stats: 330/330/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Earlier this week I was able to shop at a "normal" people store. Specifically vanity (which I am wondering if that may mean vanity sizing but I do not care). I was able to find all the cute stuff in my size and even picked up 2 pairs of pants
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-14, 08:23

green, isn't that a great feeling to shop in a "normal" store. Or even in the Misses section instead of Woman's.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-14, 09:10
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

A NSV for me is the impact my new WOE has had on my family's diet. Two of us are obese and the other 3 are just a little heavier than they want to be. I will admit that they have had to hear about everything I've learned as I found success with this WOE. I don't shut up about it. But I did not try and force my WOE on them. This summer, my heavy daughter joined me in eating totally LC and has lost nearly 30 pounds. The others have altered their diets, too. Although they have not been 100% committed, they have all lost some weight have been eating a much lower ratio of carbs in what they have chosen to eat. We have not had milk or bread in the house for months. Nobody eats proccessed cereal for breakfast. One of my daughters still eats out from time to time, but now she buys a kids meal and a side salad. I know one summer is not a lifetime, but I think everybody has learned something with what has happened the past few months. I think my daughters are better prepared for the rest of their lives. They saw the light about the benefits of this WOE and I think they understand why the standard american diet is making many people fat. How they eat in the future is up to them, but I think that they now know how they should eat. As a parent, I feel like it's a "mission accomplished".

Last edited by khrussva : Sat, Aug-02-14 at 16:36.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-14, 09:15

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
OMG! YES!!! A "good" number makes me SO HAPPY and an "UP" number makes me miserable; I mean, I really, really, really have to fight not to be depressed the whole day. ESPECIALLY because I am eating COMPLETELY ON PLAN and the scale variations have no rhyme or reason.

I am just getting started (and it's a slow start for whatever reasons) but, one great NSV just from this morning is: I am feeling like the watch I was given for my birthday back in February (a beautiful art piece, one of a kind) is fitting my wrist a LOT better already. I think I lost some puffiness/bloating back at the beginning of July and it really has made a difference. I just feel less "inflated".

It's weird how much weight looks like though. I mean...I keep looking around the house and mentally trying to imagine those objects attached to me... free weights (easy one), Coctco-sized bag of baking soda (10 lbs)... I even weighed my DH's guitar in case.. 18 pounds (it's huge!).... I am obsessed with what things weigh and imagining LOSING those objects off of my frame. Of course, density plays a huge roll... but it's so funny... I sometimes can't picture it...
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-14, 16:21

khruss, how cool that your family is making changes; progress not perfection.

Jama, I love the visuals you are talking about too. Having your watch fit better is a great NSV

I tried on some jeans today at Christopher Banks and grabbed a 20A but they were too big I would have tried on a 18A if they had a pair on the sale rack. Oh well, I didn't get any jeans, but the fact that they were a size smaller was OK.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-14, 16:27

Plan: DANDR 2002
Stats: 432/180/200 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

^^^ Awesome.

I can comfortably fit into size 40's now...down from a size 66..YAY!

Last edited by Maori : Sat, Aug-02-14 at 16:32.