Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 23:14

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 175.6/135.2/125 Female 5'2" inches
BF:I/dont/care
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdomino
they also make a low cal bread that is really high in fiber with only 9grams of carbs. i've bought it at iga. ive also noticed the Low carb one vanished from the shelves. I guess the low carb thing never really cought on here in montreal. too bad, it really works!

Oh well, LC products are slowly disappearing... But anyway, whole food beats commercial food (LC or not) in terms of health benefits (but im stocking up on Dreamfield pasta, just in case... )
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 08:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 0/0/0 Male 0
BF:
Progress:

I've never had dreamfield pasta, is it good? where can i buy some?
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 08:29
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

double sun? who carries that?
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 08:30
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

is the double sun Low Carb or what kind is it?
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 22:27

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 175.6/135.2/125 Female 5'2" inches
BF:I/dont/care
Progress: 80%

Quote:
I've never had dreamfield pasta, is it good? where can i buy some?

Found Spaghetti, macaronni and linguini at the Loblaw on Concorde Laval. Tastes exactly like the regular thing. A bit expensive though.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 07:00
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

ok, now i'm really confused! Is Double Son a brand name or is it a Bon Martin product? And where can I get a loaf?
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-05, 12:44

Plan: was Atkins now PāNu
Stats: 292.5/195/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Sorry, I've been off for a bit !!

The "double son" or "double bran" is by Bon Matin company, it is just one of their types of breads, it is the highest in fibre they make, I believe. It isn't low-carb by design, but if you eat 1/2 slice it is about 7g of carbs net. I believe their low-carb bread that has disappeared was 5g net.

I did pick up the low-calorie one and have been having it for the past week (only 1 slice per day in AM for breakfast) and it works well for me. If I eat the double son kind, I need to cut the slice in half...works out to approximately the same as the low-calorie, but the low-cal is more convenient.

I also saw the dreamfields at the loblaw's in lasalle, it looked either like they were promoting it or liquidating it because it was in the front of the store in a cart. Anyway, I won't be trying that...too dangerous for me.

Instead of pasta I make lasagne with eggplant, or I stuff peppers with ricotta/spinach mix and over with arabiata sauce with a side of chicken cutlet which I "bread" in romano or parmesan and egg. You don't even miss the pasta...
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 10:04
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Well I just tried bon martin's flax bread. Very high in fiber which we really need. Since I don't eat that much bread anyway this is fine ~ only 10 grams per slice and the slice is huge! FIBER is going to be the next diet craze! Also I tried the dreamfeild pasta and I have to tell you, being an x-chef of an Itallian resturant, you can NOT tell the difference from regular. I called Loblaw's and they are DISCONTINUING it because of poor sales. The problem for me is that it's so hard to find LC foods when they're spead out like that, (I mean who knew they had this pasta?) they should have a lc section, I'm sure sales would be much better but then again LC never really caught on here in the land of poutine!!!
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 10:43

BF:

Quote:
Well I just tried bon martin's flax bread. Very high in fiber which we really need. Since I don't eat that much bread anyway this is fine ~ only 10 grams per slice and the slice is huge!

I'm going to to try this next I think as an alternative. I'm currently eating the low-cal one, but I can do a bit higher on the carbs on some days so this might be more satisfying since the slice is larger. The low-cal slice is so tiny, that is how they get all the calories out of it! It's satisfying enough for me on a non-exercise day, but if I work out, it would be nice to have a bit of a bigger slice.

The 10g per slice is net carbs, right? Do you know how many calories? It's probably around 90 - 100???

And it does suck about the dreamfield's for people who use it successfully. For me, I need to be careful about what I add back into my diet, so it's better just to stay away from things like that. The only low-carb prepared food I buy is the ice cream...anything else I can work around.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 02:23
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brpssm
The only low-carb prepared food I buy is the ice cream...anything else I can work around.

My main LC food is the icecream. Chapman's makes the best I've tasted so far!!!
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 19:19

BF:

Quote:
My main LC food is the icecream. Chapman's makes the best I've tasted so far!!!

I still prefer the chocolate breyer's, but the chapman's is good too, they are just very different. The chapman's is easier to find.

I had the flax bread on the weekend, I calculated it at 12g net per slice. It was good, but I found that after eating the 1/2 slices and the low-cal small slices, the portion size of 1 slice was a bit too much!!!! But that is a good thing....
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 08:16
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I still prefer the chocolate breyer's, but the chapman's is good too, they are just very different.
I find the breyer's texture really odd and the vanilla has peppery specs in it---but I'm not crazing about chapman's dutch chocolate either---I buy mostly the butterscotch or the vanilla and pour some steels chocolate sauce on top.
I miscalculated the flax bread. Because they split the fiber into soluble and insoluble, I ended up subtracting the fiber count twice---you're right it's 12grams per slice---still not that bad though!
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 09:27

BF:

Quote:
I find the breyer's texture really odd and the vanilla has peppery specs in it---but I'm not crazing about chapman's dutch chocolate either---I buy mostly the butterscotch or the vanilla and pour some steels chocolate sauce on top.
I miscalculated the flax bread. Because they split the fiber into soluble and insoluble, I ended up subtracting the fiber count twice---you're right it's 12grams per slice---still not that bad though!

LOL! We are SO different in our food tastes. I love the chapman's dutch chocolate, it must be a female/chocolate thing

One weird thing that happens to me when I eat too much breyer's chocolate, though, is that I have a bit of an allergic reaction to it on my lips. It must be from some chemical they put into it...strange.

What is the chocolate sauce you are using???

I like the chapman's vanilla over 1/4 cup of fresh blueberries, yummy. I don't like the breyer's vanilla at all...but like I said, I'm a chocolate girl!
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 08:37
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
LOL! We are SO different in our food tastes. I love the chapman's dutch chocolate, it must be a female/chocolate thing

I love chocolate icecream! In fact "back in the day" I would eat a pint of Haagen Daz chocolate everyday! I just can't seem to find a LC one I like. The sauce is Steel's chocolate sauce. I've bought it canadasnacks.com but they're on back order. There is a chocolate fudge & butterscotch that I haven't tried yet. If you find Steel's here in Montreal, please let me know!
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 11:37

BF:

Quote:
The sauce is Steel's chocolate sauce. I've bought it canadasnacks.com but they're on back order. There is a chocolate fudge & butterscotch that I haven't tried yet. If you find Steel's here in Montreal, please let me know!

Will do. I might call Teva, I'm friends with one of the owners so I can see if they sell something like that...will definately let you know.