Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-14, 12:03

Plan: atkins..paleo later
Stats: 182/173/154 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default AI paleo....a challenge for you!

Hi, a friend has been started on an autoimmune paleo diet, so paleo, but also no nuts seeds, eggs, nitrates or nightshades ( tomato, aubergine etc) so go on then, the challenge is, breakfast?????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-14, 13:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The only challenge is that people think they need "breakfast" food at breakfast. Change that belief and breakfast is no longer an issue.

Let us know how you do!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-14, 13:44

BF:

Well, I suggested avocado, home made sausage/patties, coconut milk fruit smoothies and bubble and squeak using either sweet potato, celariac, or turnip, or fruit salads. Then I got a bit stuck for her. Its a brand new way of eating for her, so wanted to help her out in a way she can get her head round.
Just wondered if anyone had any more bright ideas.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-14, 14:02

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I did AIP for several months this Spring (low carb as well) - I agree w the above posters, you just have to get rid of the "breakfast foods" mindset.

There are now tons of blogs and several cookbooks about the AutoImmune Paleo approach (google "AIP" with whatever recipe you're looking for).

The best book by far is Sarah Ballantyne's The Paleo Approach. Get the paper edition, the kindle one is a pale imitation, because she has so many illustrations. (And I prefer ebooks)

She also blogs, and many (but not all!) of the recipes on her blog are AIP http://www.thepaleomom.com/category/recipes/breakfast

She also has a cookbook out

These pages were very helpful to me - especially to see the list of things I COULD eat, since so much was excluded
http://autoimmune-paleo.com/paleo-a...int-out-guides/

And I signed up for this blog's posts via email because the weekly AIP recipe round table gave me new ideas...
http://www.phoenixhelix.com

I'm no longer following AIP but I've been influenced by some of what I learned.... Including non-egg breakfasts!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-14, 16:27

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I like soup for breakfast. I make a big pot of whatever paleo soup I've got the ingredients for on the weekends, freeze it, and then have portions for breakfast during the week. Or, sometimes if I'm just not in the mood to chew, I go for straight bone broth with Great Lakes gelatin in it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-14, 17:22

BF:

Thanks parismama, that's really helpful! Whilst I have got past the "breakfast goods" now, new starters find it hard to figure!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-14, 23:19

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I think a pork chop with Southern greens braised with bacon for breakfast is pure bliss, paleo or no.

Kippers (smoked herring, sometimes from the can) are traditional breakfast fare.

Like Nancy, though, I've gotten over the idea that you have to eat certain foods in the morning.

Also, remember that skipping a meal is paleo too.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 06:05

BF:

Breakfast was a mental hurdle for me. I realized that I could make a big batch of crackslaw (which I love) and eat it daily for breakfast, it freezes well.

(www.crackslaw.com, or many other recipes online) - if you switch out coconut aminos for soy sauce it's AIP.

In the end I didn't eat it as often as I thought I would, but it was a key part of my mental shift, knowing I could figure out a breakfast that was compliant, made ahead & that I liked enough to consider having it most days.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 13:50

BF:

Now crackslaw.... How haven't I come across that before? I have amino is in as well!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 13:53

BF:

I was wondering if there was any kind of baked something, perhaps using sweet potato or pumpkin or the like, that could help her ease into changing food ideas? So still a bit carby feeling and sweet, though no eggs can be used. I'd be lost without eggs!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-14, 20:15

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Is coconut allowed? It's not really a nut. It's a drupe.

Here are some ideas from the high-fat, dairy-free thread:

--------------------

Pumpkin 'n' Oatmeal (oops, that has an egg but it sure looks like you could leave it out without incident)

-----------------

NancyLC's Paleo Porridge:

2 Tbl coconut flour
Coconut milk (I used lite coconut milk)

Optional: (sweetener and butter, chopped nuts, dried, fresh or frozen fruit -- chopped dates would rock if you can afford the carbs, raspberries, pineapple, cinnamon, butter, fresh nutmeg.)

Pour coconut milk on the coconut flour, enough to make it rather soupy. Stir well. Microwave until hot. Add optional ingredients.

------------------

ElizEllen's Flax Crackers

Just mix equal quantities by volume of ground flax (linseed outside USA) and water and let steep for a minute to thicken up then spoon onto a silicon baking sheet and flatten out into cracker shapes. Then microwave or oven bake till done.

I often make mine by putting spoonfuls into the bottom of muffin cases and flattening them into neat round cracker shapes for when I am going to a party or catered dinner, so I can eat pate on "toast" for starters or cheese and biscuits for dessert.

I bake mine at about 150 C (300 F I think) for 20-30 minutes depending on how big they are.Check after 20 minutes and adjust tie accordingly.

Once made they keep for ages in an airtight container.

---------------

Coconut Milk Kefir

--------------
Avocado Coconut Smoothie: Meyer Lemon and Almond

1/2 perfectly ripe Hass avocado
3-4 Tablespoons coconut milk
a small squeeze of Meyer lemon
a small amount of Meyer lemon zest
some crushed ice
about 1/2 cup of water
a couple drops of almond extract
a touch of sweetener

Blend until smooth and enjoy.

---------
Avocado Coconut Smoothie: Pandan and Lime

1/2 perfectly ripe Hass avocado
3-4 Tablespoons coconut milk
a small squeeze of lime
some crushed ice
about 1/2 cup of water
a couple drops of pandan extract (available at Asian markets for less than a dollar a bottle)
a touch of sweetener

Blend until smooth and enjoy.

Robin120's vanilla shake

freeze coconut milk (the kind in a can, not the milk replacement stuff in carton) in ice cube tray

blend:
coconut cubes- i use 1/2 tray for a great big smoothie!
about 1/2c-3/4 c almond or coconut milk (the kind in carton meant to be milk replacement)
truvia to taste
vanilla extract

options: add cinnamon, cocoa powder or different flavor extract like raspberry, banana, or orange

---------------------------

coconut-chocolate pudding

15 gm dried, unsweetened coconut
1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
zero-calorie sweetener equivalent to 1-2 teaspoons sugar
2 Tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk

Stir together the dry ingredients, then stir in the wet.

--------------------
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-14, 08:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyth
I was wondering if there was any kind of baked something, perhaps using sweet potato or pumpkin or the like, that could help her ease into changing food ideas? So still a bit carby feeling and sweet, though no eggs can be used. I'd be lost without eggs!

There are tons of AIP recipes using squashes and other carby veg - I just can't tell you about them because I tried to keep carbs low - and even with that goal my carbs were easily 2-3 x above where they are right now. I also tried the Wahls protocol (paleo plus level, the ketogenic one) and really struggled to stay in ketosis with the veggies (and coconut) that were required. And hunger was much more of an issue than it is when I'm strictly low carb.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-14, 08:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

LOL! I really need to try my paleo porridge again. So many things I've made and forgotten about!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-14, 14:28

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

i was just looking at petra8paleo's blog--she assembles breakfast 'units' for aip. looks pretty delicious actually, and easy! http://petra8paleo.com/2014/10/04/b...-breakfast-aip/
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 17:12

BF:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm passing them on!