Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-01, 13:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 171/171/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Post Calling all Vegetarian Low Carbers!!

Hi!

I am vegetarian. I was wondering if there are any other vegetarian low carbers out there.

I thought maybe we could start a support group or club for vegetarians. I have some information that I could share with you, and anything you could share with me would be wonderful.

I can eat eggs, cheeze, dairy, but no meat, chicken or fish.

Rajinder
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-01, 21:09
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Rajinder,

I'm not a vegetarian, but as many have dropped by and had no place of their own, we now create this sub-forum to support vegetarian low-carbers.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-26-01, 07:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/195.5/130
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Vegetarian wannabe

HI!

I'm so glad to see someone interested in vegetarian low carbing. I really love vegetarian cooking and eating, I do eat meat but I don't really like it all that much. I would love to hear your suggestions and information. I bet there are more of us out there too.

Eleanor
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 21:57

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Wink Morning Star Grillers?

Have you ever tried the Morning Star Vegie Grillers? They are 15 grams protein and only 3 grams carbs...I had one this morning. I eat more meat now that I am low carbing. But before I used to eat more vegetarian meals. I think you could do it with eggs and cheeses and such. I use tofu quite a bit. Let me know how you do it--I have alot of vegetarian friends that would be interested. Victoria
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-02, 12:37

Stats: 171/171/125
BF:
Thumbs up Vegetarian Low Carb information

Hi Victoria and Eleanor,

Thank you for replying. Sorry I took so long to reply. Got busy with my kids!

Here are some links I found on the web:

http://www.immuneweb.org/lowcarb/

http://www.culinarycafe.com/Vegetarian.html

http://www.geocities.com/msweathe/veggie.html

I am looking for ways to eat vegetarian low carb at induction.

I hope this information helps!

Rajinder
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 11:55
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 279/259/155
BF:
Progress: 16%
Talking

I too am a vegetarian looking for low carb information. The support and interaction would be great. My daughter has PCOS and is insuling resistant. We just bought the Insulin Resistant Diet and it is a low carb diet. It has more vegetarian info than most I have read. Look forward to sharing information. Blessings, Pam
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 13:27

Plan: Curves starting 13/4/04
Stats: 157/142/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Hi there

I too, am a veggi low carber and would welcome any ideas, tips and hints

go for it.

Fine
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 05:10
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 160/150/112 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I've been an on and off vegetarian for year and I now buy only organic free range meat and other products.

I have a lot of trouble with the meat, for one, I don't like it much, it makes me feel nauseous and two, I'm basically against it ethically.

So if I could find a way to do Atkins, including induction without meat, I'd feel better physically and intellectually.

I can handle tuna and chicken but no red meat.

Tofu is delicious but it has quite a few carbs if it is the main meal..Cheese is yummy but it can hinder weight loss.

Atkins suggests that if you are a a vegetarian then this probably isn't the program for you!

It would be great if we could come up with some varied and yummy ways to do this without chopping up baby animals
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 18:00

Plan: vegitarian
Stats: 145/145/125
BF:
Smile Vegitarian Low Carber here !

I'm a vegitarian low carber!!

I've been a vegitarian for about 10 years... and a low carber for about 10 days.

I'm not going for the textbook ketosis or even rapid weightloss.

I reasoned that all the sugar and refined grains were doing me no good and that additionally, I am probably not eating enough protein.

So my self-styled plan is as follows...

5 meals a day... times of which are dictated by hunger..
No refined grains or added sugars.
Whole fruit is ok... but no more fruit juice or dried fruit.
Protein at every meal...

So we'll see how it goes... i'm keeping a journal of my food and exercise habits here...

Good luck to everyone
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 09:56

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default 'nother veggie low carber!

Hi, Everyone

I'm new to the site, returned to low carbing, and a veggie from way back – nearly 20 years. (see my intro in the Intro Section)

I’m really enjoying this site so far, but I wish there was a little more activity in both this section and the “zone” section. I think the Atkins way of eating may not translate well to vegetarians from what I know of it, and it seems to the program of choice for many folks here.

So, yes – I’m all for revving up this vegetarian forum! Looking forward to seeing you all here …

Rhubarb
[a.k.a. Barbara]
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 19:10
Registered Member

Plan: veggie low carb
Stats: 131/131/105 Female 4'11''
BF:
Smile hi guys!

Hi! I'm glad to see that there are a few other veggie low carbers out there! I was begining to think that I was the only one
I starting trying to go low carb about a week ago...before that I practically lived on pasta. I really miss it...
I don't see any practical way to do Atkins as a vegetarian (there's no way I could go as low as 20 grams of carb a day without meat, and I don't like the restriction on veggies) so I've being trying to do the Zone diet. Has anyone read the Soy Zone? It's interesting...but I dont think I will be able to eat tofu three meals a day for the rest of my life! So I'm still trying to figure out how to make this work for me....I think in the end I will just try to eliminate pasta and white bread and sugar, and eat lots of veggies. Beans, I know, are high in carbs but I think they are health, esp black beans, so I'm going to keep on eating those...

hey rhubarb, you mentioned that you've tried lowcarb before. Were you doing the zone then? How easy/hard did you find it for vegetarians?

Hope everyone will come by often!
Suzy
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 14:32

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi, Suzy (and all)

Yes, I was doing the Zone when I LCed the last time. There are limitations for vegetarians, but that’s not why I fell off the wagon! I think it was pure laziness on my part – it does take a lot of planning and perseverance whether you eat meat or not, but it’s worth it.

Your idea to eliminate pasta, white bread and sugar is a good one. The last time I “Zoned” there was a website just for vegetarian zoning that seems to have disappeared, unfortunately. The author of this site recommended that foods like beans and legumes -- long used as protein staples by vegetarians – continue to be counted as proteins, even though the Zone would have you count them as carbs. I’m undecided; I’ll probably count them as carbs for at least the first few months and then try to see if anything needs adjusting. ('cept for peanut butter -- that's a fat in my book!)

Best --
Rhu
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 02:56

Plan: Curves starting 13/4/04
Stats: 157/142/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Smile Hi Suzi & Rhubarb

Hi there fellow veggies....
I too am one and on the Atkins WOE, I am currently between 20 and 25g of carbs a day. I am unsure as to whether you can purchase meat alternatives out in the States, for I buy the Quorn products here (UK) and they are relatively low in carbs. For bacon there is a product called "Morning Star or Morning Life" (I can't remember which one it is called) which is for 2 rashers only 0.25g carbs. The Quorn range varies from sausages (3g carbs each), minced (0.5g carbs per 100g), fillets and pieces, they can also can come in a sauce but I lay off those - too high in carbs! I use the fillets as meat eaters would chicken or steak. One fillet - 2.5g carbs but which I know can be a lot, but worth it cos I have lost 15lbs since mid January 2002. Hang in there and good luck in LCing the veggie way!
Fine
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 14:09

Stats: 185/185/125
BF:

Glad to see I'm not alone in my quest to remain vegetarian but low carb. I am new here and doing a lot of reading on the subject, I tried Atkins in my meat eating days but now am trying to develop a lifestyle that works for me! I eat dairy but no eggs. I love vegetables and am trying to devise new recipes that will enable me to lose weight but not get bored with my food choices. Carbs have played a big part of my food intake since I stopped eating meat so I'm feeling like eating has become a big challenge. I have tried the Morning Star products and for the most part they are pretty good. I love vegetables and cheeses but the dairy I really think keeps my weight on. I have a goal of 60 pounds to lose so before I just dive into this I want to be well informed so I don't set myself up to fail again.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 09:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/170/155
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default veggies out there

Hi to all of you! I have been vegetarian for 11 years and on Atkins for nearly 3 years. Before, I ate beans and cheese on tortillas every day! I missed that for a while but I heat up cheese in the microwave, top it with avocado and salsa, even sour cream and voila! It is do-able!
There are many many vegetarian products out there but you have to read the labels. Morning Star IS the best and lowest carb plus they are so yummy. Even the non-vegetarians love them. I buy 4 boxes of the burgers a week and they are gone in no time. I heat it up and top it with munster and american cheese! Also, there is a product called Light Life who makes hot dogs for 2 grams and Italian sausage for 4 grams. Again, the meat eaters in my family eat them before I can!
Keep the faith and your health and the health of all the non-killed animals! God willing, we can all do it!