Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 06:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/205/147 Female 73"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default 1st day on CAD

Hiya

I'm posting my menu for today as I'm not entirely certain I'm doing this right. I have read the book and consulted it before I made my CM. If I'm doing anything wrong please let me know asap.

I didn't have any breakfast - didn't want any and we have barely anything in anyway!

When I got up I had one cup decaf coffee with a spoon of splenda and some semi-skimmed milk.

Lunch was 1 1/2 cups of boiled cauliflower with 1tbsp butter melted into it and then a little cheddar grated on top, with two burger patties with cheese slices and 2 tsp tomato relish. I also have one can vanilla diet coke.

My RM is roast chicken, mashed potato, carrots, green beans, gravy, chocolate fudge cake and cream.

PS - do I need to eat two CMs even if I don't want one of them?

Last edited by rebsee : Fri, May-09-03 at 11:44.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 11:49

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

No, you dont need to eat CMs if you arnt hungry but dont skip RM.

Your menu looked good except for the coke.

In CALP they explain that CAD/CALP works on controlling insulin levels. They maintain that the taste of anything sweet can cause an insulin spike , it doesnt have to be real sugar so even though the coke is sugar free, its still a no no except at reward meals. right along with SF candy, sweetners, bars, shakes , mints and gum

The rest looks good though

Jaden
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 12:06

Plan: atkins switched to calp
Stats: 152/144/120
BF:
Progress: 25%

hi rebsee,

i just recently switched from atkins to cad/calp also. i've made some mistakes in balancing my portions for the reward meal. at first i was good about keeping the 1/3 portions and eating my pre-meal salad. but then i slacked off and had bigger portions of carb than my veggies and protein. my carb cravings increased due to this so that i continued to eat bigger portions of carb on my rm's and eventually slipping on the cm's too. i am in the process of trying to regain control. i tell you this so the same thing doesn't happen to you. looking at your reward meal listed, you have done what i did. there is no salad listed for your dinner and only green beans and carrots for your veggies (how big was your veggie portion?) you have double portions of carb, the mash potato and desert, compared to one portion of chicken and veggies. i think controlling carb craving is tougher when you have switched over from atkins (especially if you've been maintaining induction beyond the 2 week period) because it really is like being let loose in a candy store. there's so many options you don't know which to eat first and you try have everything all
at once. i hope to have given you enough warning so the same thing doesn't happen to you.

sara
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 15:12

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

Becky,
No, you do not need to eat two CM's. I rarely do, and this is allowed.

Your meals looked great to me, but agree that a few more lc veggies should be added for some extra balance. Don't worry too much. You will get it worked out and it isn't always perfect.

I disagree that you need to eliminate the diet soda from the CM. The sample menus in CAD have diet soda listed and I believe they do in CALP. My understanding is that they are a problem between meals when you don't want spikes in insulin.

Keep up the good work, and welcome.

Deb
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 15:19

BF:

Hello! Thanks for your replies - they're a great help

I had read about the pre-meal salad here online and had read about it in relation to plan D, but I'm not sure if I saw it anywhere else - I read the book so quickly that I doubt it took it all in!
I'll remember the salad, the 1/3 of each food group on my plate and no diet coke until my RM!

You're right - I did have more carbs than protein or veg. On my plate the carb/protein/veg ratio was equal but I also had bread and butter and cake too. Oops! Still, i don't think it's SO bad for a first attempt! I'll get it spot on tomorrow

Again, thanks for your help!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 15:55

Plan: atkins switched to calp
Stats: 152/144/120
BF:
Progress: 25%

hi becky,

i hope i wasn't being too negative and scaring you off. i definately think calp is the plan for me. like deb said, it will all work out once you get the hang of it. i was so happy the first week enjoying my RM's. now i know that i used it as a license to indulge too much. calp takes just as much work as atkins and i have to relearn eating habits again in re-introducing carbs in a safe and discipline manner. this was just a bump in the road for me and not a sign to turn around. i wish you well on your own journey and hope my comments were useful to you.

sara
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 02:49

BF:

Hi Sara

Thanks for your message. Don't worry - I didnt take your comments as negative - I asked for help and you've offered it I wasnt certain about the salad etc but now I am. I realise that I could go off the rails if I'm not careful, but I don't have to, and can't, eat everything at once. There's always tomorrow's RM to come
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 09:38

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Hi Rebsee

That is a great realization, eh? That there IS always tomorrow's RM and we get another chance to have something we really like. Once that really sinks in, you get a lot more relaxed about this whole WOE, and especially the RM's. Before, it was as though I thought all my favourite foods were going to disappear off the face of the earth and I had darned well better get as many in as I could!

Glad to see CAD is suiting you well

Tracy
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 15:48

BF:

I must admit, I have been trying to cram all the stuff I can into my RM for the last three days, but I simply cannot continue to eat that way beacuse I will make myself throw up. I have been having a salad prior to my meal, but it's like a whole bag of salad (Y'know, the one thats meant to be a side for 4 people?). Then I eat a regular sized dinner and a regular sized dessert. Maybe I need to cut out my dessert. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

I have lost a pound already though And I wasn't hungry til 3.30pm today (I was up since 8am), but didn;t get to eat til 5.30pm which was at my sister's so it was my RM. I have NEVER not wanted breakfast or lunch before, and the sugar doesn't affect me like it used to either. Woohoo for CAD!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 16:05

Plan: Dr Atkins changed to CAD
Stats: 80/8/60
BF:
Progress:

Becky,

I might be on a different path as I am doing CAD. I have not been able to get hold of the CALP book as it is not available in Australia - out of print. I have been using the rm as a smorgas board of delicous delight - but trying to keep it balanced. I am using it as a means to get rid of a rather unhealthy 'relationship' with food which involves the 'all or nothing principle' (Strict diet or binge); food is the enemy (I will break out in fat if I have so much as a mouthful); I will never be able to have what I want (resulting in cravings of the most extreme) etc etc.

I am using CAD obviously to lose weight (I have lost about 3kgs - nearly 7 lbs in 2 and a half weeks) but also to try and fix my eating habits - I know that I will settle down eventually during my RM.

I must stress that except for one day I have had no cravings and have managed to go through from between 5 - 6 am with 2 very small cms to 6 pm very easily - no hunger!!

I wish you lots of success and enjoy your food

Shira