Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-26-10, 02:36
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Hi ct89!

Nice to meet you! We're all still out here, although depending on our symptoms we don't always post frequently. Your symptoms were actually quite similar to mine inasmuch as I also had lots of antibiotics as a kid (I seemed prone to strep throats a lot), blood sugar/hormonal imbalances plus awful diet as a teenager (I thought I could eat anything and sometimes ate irregularly, cravings for sweets etc), and then after my pregnancies I had a lot of food allergies and issues.

A few things you might want to try to help things would be milk thistle (really helps detox the liver and protects against heavy metal toxins somewhat too), and for the Candida specifically, get some Pau D'Arco tea which is antifungal and antimicrobial generally and drink it between meals.

You should be able to get some at a health food shop but be a bit careful and make sure it's the proper stuff from a proper supplier (beware the internet for ordering it) because some brands are filled with ordinary stuff and have a low concentration of Pau D'arco so go for the pure stuff.

Probiotics are going to be essential and you may wish to consult an alternative therapist (find a good one with experience in candida previously---someone with an office, an internet site, medical qualifications etc, not the well-meaning neighbour next door who sells Aloe Vera on the side or something---you will need proper treatment for the food allergies and you will need to have your progress monitored either with allergy prick tests or Vega machine tests or something.

OK, as for your intestinal wall being overcrowded with too much bad bacteria and fungi---take the probiotics immediately because the good bacteria EAT the yeast fungi and the bad bacteria. They will clear the wall for you and you will need to take them at least 2 - 3 times per day, probably just before meals (at least that's what my doc put me on). For many months.

Also, you'll have to get some medical attention to discover WHY you had this history in the first place. I mean, you may have underlying blood sugar imbalances (not diabetes exactly but insulin resistance in my case contributed to the whole syndrome---that's one example for you). Thyroid, immune system, endocrine system etc all play a role in keeping down the yeast and protecting the gut so somewhere along the line you need to work out what exactly is going wrong there.

A few other things to help. Barley green grass powder (if you're allergic to barley, there are variations on this) is a high chlorophyll detox powder which gives oxygen directly into your blood stream. The oxygen boost helps kill the candida, but beware the die off symptoms.

Sprinkle ground cloves on your food (tastes nice on white grapefruit, which is also antifungal mildly) to kill candida also.

When you feel better, aerobic exercise will also give the yeast a good bashing, since they are anaerobic.

Red beets (beetroot) also turns into oxygen in your bloodstream partly and is also very good at killing candida, along with coconuts, virgin coconut oil, etc, only don't use dried coconut ---use fresh.

Hope that helps for a start. Good luck and let us know how you get on!