Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-14-18, 04:16
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/168/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Default There seem to be a lot of problems.

Hi, me again. I've been doing a lot of reading and see that the diet seems to be fraught with problems...not enough carbs...too many carbs...stalls...I have already seen for myself that even though I was eating low carb I couldn't lose any weight and so have gone back onto strict induction. I have to say I am not feeling overly confident as although it is strict induction it is not that much lower in carbs than my previous eating pattern...Now I'm worrying that I am not eating enough carbs ! Help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-14-18, 05:22
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Anybody. Paralysed here.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-14-18, 05:52

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Try not to overthink things and over stress about things. You will figure this out for yourself but it may take some time so it's best to try to be patient. There is no such thing as eating too few carbs. The body needs protein and fats to survive but not carbohydrates. Many people do well eating 0 carbs. Stick precisely to induction and see how it goes. Give yourself some time to see if it's working. If not then you can tweak it some more. Stressing out works against what you are trying to achieve.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-14-18, 06:01

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi Leicester, Sorry you are having problems with the Diet. Not sure which Atkins book you read, but one reason I like 2010 edition written by 3 LC researchers/doctors is that it explains the science well. But you can also read about LC myths here in this excellent overview of everything about LC, including the myth that our brains needs carbs. There is zero biological need for carbohydrates, while the body does need essential amino acids in protein and essential fats. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fears#brain
Read all the links in this whole article to allay other concerns you may have.

In fact there is a recent fad in Carnivore or Zero Carb diets to improve health.
Article in The Guardian only 3 days ago. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...enefits-dangers

And to add, while I was typing.....I agree with everything Jean wrote
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-14-18, 08:41
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thankyou for your help. I will do my best but I still fail to see how the very few grams of carb which come from 25grams of nuts or 25mls of cream are inferior to the grams of carb which come from cheese. I know there are more in cream for example, than in cheese but if all the carb grams consumed in a day, are less than twenty, what's the problem with the choices?
Thankyou again for taking the trouble.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-14-18, 11:34

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think these are better seen as tweaks than as problems. I do better on a higher fat, more ketogenic version, partly because it helps me with bipolar/social anxiety issues, but also because it keeps me from experiencing binges that I get when I'm a bit leaner. I think a higher protein, slightly lower fat version, or one with a bit more carbs is fine, if it works for the individual.

For the starting point I agree Induction is people's best bet. I didn't need to tweak things until I'd lost most of the weight I had to lose.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-14-18, 11:47
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thankyou all for your attention.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-14-18, 19:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/180/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 8%

But don't we need some carbs, especially on Induction? I thought most of our carbs will come from green veggies.

Confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Try not to overthink things and over stress about things. You will figure this out for yourself but it may take some time so it's best to try to be patient. There is no such thing as eating too few carbs. The body needs protein and fats to survive but not carbohydrates. Many people do well eating 0 carbs. Stick precisely to induction and see how it goes. Give yourself some time to see if it's working. If not then you can tweak it some more. Stressing out works against what you are trying to achieve.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-14-18, 20:14
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

You are new. Give the plan time to work. Your body has to adjust. Then there is always IF that does work for some of us that are advanced low-carbers

No worries!

Dr Atkins:
Quote:
The human requirement for carbohydrates is: "Draw it for yourself on a sheet of paper ... the number is Zero."
let that sink in real good.

My personal secrets: BACON, Lots of it! HB eggs and real Beef jerky

Last edited by mike_d : Mon, May-14-18 at 20:25.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-15-18, 02:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky B
But don't we need some carbs, especially on Induction? I thought most of our carbs will come from green veggies.

Confused.

Hi Vicky, the Atkins induction plan includes 20g total carbs mostly from green vegetables, but they are not biologically necessary. If you like vegetables and they provide interesting variety to meals (they do for me) keep on, but if not a fan and happy with a only few incidental carbs from eggs, cheese and cream, you won’t die either. The Zero Carb thread in War Zone forum is full of interesting success stories.