Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-14, 11:56

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Foot Drop

While I have noticed for quite some time an odd ache-y feeling in my right ankle, I didn't notice until a week ago that I have foot drop in my right foot - that's the sort of thing you can notice when listening to a boring speaker and jiggling one's foot around.

I'm assuming it's caused by my diabetes, which is why I'm asking about it here.

Anyway, I found exercises on-line that are supposed to help, and which made me realize that this problem has been growing for some time. There are 2 exercises in particular I'm having trouble with. One calls for extending the legs and curling the toes toward one's stomach. My toes refuse to curl in that direction. I can't feel anything so I'm wondering if this exercise is a waste of time or if I should stick to it. Another is walking on one's toes and then heels. Walking on the toes is OK, tho a bit painful. Walking on my right heel is impossible; my foot just flops down when I put my weight on the heel. Not painful, but there is an uncomfortable feeling.

Anyone here have to deal with foot drop? I'd like all the information you can give me! Especially any exercises that helped, also any advice about whether or not to go to the doctor about this. It likely was noticeable at my last appointment a few months back – my feet were checked – by not for foot drop.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-14, 14:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

No advice on the exercise, but an idea where to get more information first. Do you have any access to a Physical Therapist? One hospital has a PT office right in our YMCA, and she has free "ask the PT sessions" or will chat with anyone between appointments. Private PT offices sometimes offer information sessions or consultations, as do chiropractors.

Did you find these two PT's? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTjwb6NOPUU
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-14, 17:54

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

I finally got in to see a physical therapist - VA is a tad slow! After checking out both my feet, he's pretty sure the foot drop isn't due to diabetes, but to my on-going back problems. I will likely need surgery at some time in the future, but I don't know how bad things have to get before the VA will allow the surgery. I'll start bugging my doctor about it.

In the meantime, the exercises I've been doing have helped, and he gave me more to do. Hopefully, that will stave off permanent damage to my foot.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-14, 19:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Quote:
VA is a tad slow!
So I've heard! Glad to hear the foot has improved.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-14, 02:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Bonnie, we expect "on the ground" reports from you on the promised improvements in the VA system. but for now, glad it wasn't more serious and didn't need immediate treatment. Hope it keeps improving.