Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-11, 15:38

Plan: Keto
Stats: 279/206/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default Seriously Mom?

Way to not make oatmeal-raisin cookies (my favorite cookie) for years while I am eating carbs and then turn around and make 10 batches for Christmas while I am eating LC.

*sigh*

Holiday diet fail.

I suppose the upside to the situation is that there probably will not be any cookies left relatively soon... lol
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-11, 15:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

I can understand your frustration. It is difficult. But, have to say it gets better, I promise. I have been lc living for 3 years. I have a husband with a sweet tooth, and 5 kids. I do all the cooking, continue to cook cake, cookies, pies, make pasta etc. I just don't eat it. I honestly found that making the stuff helped me. I think i cook more of it now than i did before. Lol. I just made another pie yesterday. You are not alone, most of us have difficult times during the holiday season. That is why we all come back to clean living over New Years.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-11, 15:57
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

LOL! Just in time for a New Year's Resolution. ;-)

PJ
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-11, 16:32

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Some people are actually saboteurs, intentionally, but not necessarily consciously. I think some people just can't stand change and some people want to control others around them.

You need to have a frank talk with her about this. I had the same problem with my mother and didn't confront it for a long time. I thought I could just will myself through the obstacles. It didn't work. Finally I talked to her about it and she stopped.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-11, 17:01

Plan: Keto
Stats: 279/206/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
Some people are actually saboteurs, intentionally, but not necessarily consciously. I think some people just can't stand change and some people want to control others around them.

You need to have a frank talk with her about this. I had the same problem with my mother and didn't confront it for a long time. I thought I could just will myself through the obstacles. It didn't work. Finally I talked to her about it and she stopped.

I don't live with her any longer, although I live in the same town and only live like 5 blocks away. I visit her almost daily.

She made the cookies because everyone in her house likes them as well... She also likes to send out boxes of cookies to our family. Telling her not to cook cookies would be inappropriate lol.

Its ok, I just find it amusing more than anything. It has seriously been at least 3 years since she has made my favorite cookie lol. Now that I can't eat cookies she makes more than I have ever seen her make.

I could have said no to the cookies if I wanted to, I have just been thinking about all the family events I am going to be going to for Christmas. I came to the conclusion yesterday that it was going to be easier to just eat what is served than explain to my grandmother why I don't want her food lol. After deciding I was going to eat some carbs for Christmas I arrived at my mom's house and it smelled of oatmeal-raisin cookies.

I'm not despondent or mad or anything of that nature - I am just amused at her timing.

<eats cookie>

Actually, there might be just a little bit of shame here lol.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-11, 17:03

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoricme
I don't live with her any longer, although I live in the same town and only live like 5 blocks away. I visit her almost daily.

She made the cookies because everyone in her house likes them as well... She also likes to send out boxes of cookies to our family. Telling her not to cook cookies would be inappropriate lol.

Its ok, I just find it amusing more than anything. It has seriously been at least 3 years since she has made my favorite cookie lol. Now that I can't eat cookies she makes more than I have ever seen her make.

I could have said no to the cookies if I wanted to, I have just been thinking about all the family events I am going to be going to for Christmas. I came to the conclusion yesterday that it was going to be easier to just eat what is served than explain to my grandmother why I don't want her food lol. After deciding I was going to eat some carbs for Christmas I arrived at my mom's house and it smelled of oatmeal-raisin cookies.

I'm not despondent or mad or anything of that nature - I am just amused at her timing.

<eats cookie>

Actually, there might be just a little bit of shame here lol.

Haha.. just eat one or two on Christmas and then call it good.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-11, 18:23

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Oh, they were MY favorite TOO!!! Every once in a while, I actually take scissors, and cut the raisins in to tiny slivers, and then make one of those little flaxseed muffins in the microwave and if you put the slivers into hot water (just a tablespoon or so) and then let it steep, THEN put it in the ground flaxseed, add some Davinci's butterscotch syrup and make a muffin...close you eyes...and there you go! Comes pretty darned close!

I took this holiday to not bake any of my 'specialities'. Not for anyone. My husband's 'crew' at work are very 'upset'...even knowing I am pretty fatigued and have strict orders to just 'rest a lot, don't overdo'. I look at the kitchen...fondly...lovingly...and dream of setting up 'several batches' of this and that...but oatmeal raisin ANYTHING is my 'favorite' and that's one way I deal with the 'loss' of not having it.

But the guilt...my goodness...if one more person calls AGAIN and asks if 'you really are NOT making your famous 'pillow cookies' this year????...than "I" might go mad! LOL ha ha.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-11, 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderpam

I took this holiday to not bake any of my 'specialities'. Not for anyone. My husband's 'crew' at work are very 'upset'...even knowing I am pretty fatigued and have strict orders to just 'rest a lot, don't overdo'. I look at the kitchen...fondly...lovingly...and dream of setting up 'several batches' of this and that...but oatmeal raisin ANYTHING is my 'favorite' and that's one way I deal with the 'loss' of not having it.

Haha I like them without the raisins. However, I like checkerboard chocolate mousse cake from Trader Joe's even more and I'm gonna have *one* piece of it after having prime rib and green beans on Christmas
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-11, 18:33

BF:

I'm making a checkerboard pumpkin spice cheesecake with praline pecans over top for Christmas day.

wow, that Trader Joe's must be a really GREAT place!! I looked and I'd have to travel well over 1.5 hours to find one here. But...I'm gearing up to go to a Costco soon (over an hour away also). You're so LUCKY to be near those stores.

I'm lucky also though...an Aldi right in the next little town..saves us SO much money!

Brigitta, the checkerboard choc. mousse cake sounds FABULOUS!!! Enjoy THAT!!! (do you make your green beans with the fried bacon and onion topping on them?)
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-11, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderpam
I'm making a checkerboard pumpkin spice cheesecake with praline pecans over top for Christmas day.

wow, that Trader Joe's must be a really GREAT place!! I looked and I'd have to travel well over 1.5 hours to find one here. But...I'm gearing up to go to a Costco soon (over an hour away also). You're so LUCKY to be near those stores.

I'm lucky also though...an Aldi right in the next little town..saves us SO much money!

Brigitta, the checkerboard choc. mousse cake sounds FABULOUS!!! Enjoy THAT!!! (do you make your green beans with the fried bacon and onion topping on them?)

That sounds REALLY good. I'll try it with some crunched bacon. Do you fry the onion in bacon grease? I might put onions on too if it's easy to make.

Speaking of TJ's they have these small green beans that are imported from France. The green beans are like 3 bucks for a pound which isn't too bad. I think the mouse cake is about 7 bucks and it tastes like it's really expensive.

There isn't a lot that I can buy from there because a lot of frozen goods are loaded with carbs... like their lamb vindaloo omg it is sooo freaking good. But I go there all the time to buy HWC that doesn't have carragenenan (sp?) added to it. I hate thickened HWC. I also buy their raw cashews, almond butter, coffee (although costco's is cheaper), plain greek yogurt, full-fat gouda cheese, frozen wild blueberries (soo good), and frozen raspberries.

You might try going there once and just stock up on frozen foods and things that have a long shelf life. It's a pretty great place
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-11, 18:43

But back to those eeevil oatmeal cookies
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-11, 22:41
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 232/202/120 Female 5'3
BF:Insane
Progress: 27%

Eh, if it's the recipe on the Quaker oatmeal box....they end up coming right back out within a few hours anyway.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-11, 23:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have made peace with myself knowing I am going to have a few cookies on Christmas Day. I know I will have to start the new year on a tough regime but it will be worth it to me....
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-11, 11:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinethery
That sounds REALLY good. I'll try it with some crunched bacon. Do you fry the onion in bacon grease? I might put onions on too if it's easy to make.

Speaking of TJ's they have these small green beans that are imported from France. The green beans are like 3 bucks for a pound which isn't too bad. I think the mouse cake is about 7 bucks and it tastes like it's really expensive.

There isn't a lot that I can buy from there because a lot of frozen goods are loaded with carbs... like their lamb vindaloo omg it is sooo freaking good. But I go there all the time to buy HWC that doesn't have carragenenan (sp?) added to it. I hate thickened HWC. I also buy their raw cashews, almond butter, coffee (although costco's is cheaper), plain greek yogurt, full-fat gouda cheese, frozen wild blueberries (soo good), and frozen raspberries.

You might try going there once and just stock up on frozen foods and things that have a long shelf life. It's a pretty great place

Yeppers, I cut the bacon up (get some nice thick peppered kind) and fry that..let it 'get started and leaking a little fat' then put my onions into it..I don't let the onions carmellize entirely...I pop the green beans back in the oven with the bacon/onion on top, and THEN let it heat through the beans and give the top a shot from the broiler at the last. YUMMMMMM