Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 10:08

Plan: HCG,Atkins
Stats: 210.8/194.4/145 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:56%
Progress: 25%
Default EXHAUSTED! Needing advice please!

For three weeks now I'm EXHAUSTED! I mean to the point I have no energy. I've noticed I have little energy stores and when I use them up..that's it, put a fork in me and call me done. I sleep 8 to 10 hours a night and do not feel rested. I have sleep apnea, I wake up at 3am and can't go back to sleep for an hour or two then sleep til I have at least 8 hours total. I am having other issues as well..cold intolerance, irritablility, lots of joint pain. I feel like I'm coming down with the flu but, never really do. I feel like this daily. I have not worked out going on two weeks now, I can't find the energy to do so. Saturday, I felt just like I did the day I went into the hospital when my thyroid had crashed and I had not known it for months. I felt awful Saturday.

I have been on Atkins/Taubes just over 2 months now. I experienced that increased energy level 2 weeks after starting, now it's gone.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 6 years ago. I was put on Synthroid 75mcg daily and my dose has remained that thru the years.

Have I done something to cause changes in my body and the way my thyroid functions since starting Atkins/Taubes? Or is it time, to be doing something different with my medication?

Since my DH added me to his insurance in Jan..there is a pre~exist condition wait period of 3 months that ends March 30th, is there something that I can do in the meantime to feel a little better?

Any thoughts?
Thank you in advance!
Michelle
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 14:17

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Are you able to afford to get your thryoid tests done on your own? I believe healthcheck.usa has an affordable thyroid panel with TSH, FT3 and FT4. You may also want to look into adrenal fatigue; waking between 2-4 and unable to go back to sleep is a classic adrenal fatigue sign. Thyroid and adrenals are connected...have you checked out stopthethyroidmadness.com?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by maile1
Are you able to afford to get your thryoid tests done on your own? I believe healthcheck.usa has an affordable thyroid panel with TSH, FT3 and FT4. You may also want to look into adrenal fatigue; waking between 2-4 and unable to go back to sleep is a classic adrenal fatigue sign. Thyroid and adrenals are connected...have you checked out stopthethyroidmadness.com?

I have been doing research on my own off and on between resting today. I was just on healthcheck and looked at the costs. Not bad at all, however, I would still have to wait to see a doctor til the pre exist condition time expired. It was a good thought, so I might as well wait and let the insurance cover it then pay out of pocket for the tests when I could use the much needed money elsewhere. If I did pay out of pocket, it would still have to wait til I was paid on the 24th. It is just a matter of waiting things thru and knowing that I will feel like crap in the process.

I was just on thyroid.info.com and found a two doctors in my area who approach the thyroid problem. I will call and make a appointment tomorrow for the first week of April. I also called to get my last results of my thyroid that was drawn on July 8th...3.66. I could have sworn it was lower? No FT4 or FT3 was drawn. Reference ranges for the TSH test by this lab are 0.34-4.82.

On my way to check out stopthethyroidmadness.com and adrenal fatigue s/s.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-11, 20:06
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Will you be going to a new thyroid dr?

We're all different but 75mcg seems like a low dose. I used to take 1/2 a 75 along with 2.5 grains of armour. I seemed to need more and more medication over time.

I suggest you get a rT3 test too.

Scarlet on this board is a great resource for thyroid and adrenal and helpful for finding drs.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 06:16

Thank you for responding...

I have an appointment for April 4th for a NP that I found in my area on altsupportthryoid.org. There is also a Dr. in this area too that is only 40 min away. So, if the answers I am seeking are not what I am looking for, then I will make an appointment with this Dr.

I am getting lab drawn on April 1st. So far, on my list is a FT3, FT4, TSH, Iron and rT3.

I feel awful, I feel like I did the week I went to ER for my thyroid. Some days are better then others, but the others are down right wicked, taxing and exhausting.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 06:23

Correction to first post..I meant to type insomnia but, it accidentally typed apnea. Apnea, without breathing, totally different from insomnia..sorry folks. My mind is not where is should be now..difficulty concetrating and finding words. Once again, my apologies.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 07:09
Registered Member

Plan: leanbodies consulting
Stats: 183/130/130 Female 5'4.5"
BF:lean
Progress: 100%

what is your carb amt?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 04:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic
what is your carb amt?

Between 25-35g/day
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-11, 18:15

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hi Shell,
Couple things...what supplements are you taking? Potassium, and D3, are non-negotiable on a low carb diet. Also you may need a good multi and B complex. Magnesium and Melatonin will help you sleep. Also fish oil, and coq10 are good.

I take a multi called Pro Femma, along with 2000 mcg of high epa, high quality fish oil, Niacin, Quinol (COQ10), liquid trace minerals with high levels of potassium and magnesium, sub B12 and D3. At night I take Melatonin. I have found this to be a good combo for me, but you will need to do your own research. Sounds like you need some blood work and supplements. One thing about reading all of Dr Atkins books is I have a REAL appreciation and great education for supplements. Bottom line you need them in any diet.

Also be sure you are getting enough fat in your diet...not just a lot of protein and veggies....when I don't get enough fat I get really tired.

Blood work will help you figure out if its thyroid or adrenals. Also if you are only taking t4 its a good sign that it is time to add some t3 or amour.

good luck!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-03-11, 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelrivas
Hi Shell,
Couple things...what supplements are you taking? Potassium, and D3, are non-negotiable on a low carb diet. Also you may need a good multi and B complex. Magnesium and Melatonin will help you sleep. Also fish oil, and coq10 are good.

I take a multi called Pro Femma, along with 2000 mcg of high epa, high quality fish oil, Niacin, Quinol (COQ10), liquid trace minerals with high levels of potassium and magnesium, sub B12 and D3. At night I take Melatonin. I have found this to be a good combo for me, but you will need to do your own research. Sounds like you need some blood work and supplements. One thing about reading all of Dr Atkins books is I have a REAL appreciation and great education for supplements. Bottom line you need them in any diet.

Also be sure you are getting enough fat in your diet...not just a lot of protein and veggies....when I don't get enough fat I get really tired.

Blood work will help you figure out if its thyroid or adrenals. Also if you are only taking t4 its a good sign that it is time to add some t3 or amour.

good luck!

Thank you for the advice about the supplements. I am the worlds worst for taking my supplements. As for my Synthroid, I feel worse when I take it lately? IDK...maybe in my head.?

I am exhausted to the point of being somewhat non functional now. My sleep pattern has changed again and I sleep alll night and I reach REM stages. I wake up however, totally unrested. Coffee does not phase me anymore. I have about 10-12 moderate to severe s/s of of my Hypothyroidism at this point. I have over 15+ s/s when you add the mild ones.

As for lab... it was done Friday. The end of my pre exist wait period done finally!

My NP ordered additional lab..CBC with Diff, CMP, Sed Rate, Vitamin D, UA in addition to the TSH, Free T3 and T4, and Reverse T3 that I requested.

All lab work is in except the Free T3, rT3 and Vitamin D

As of this point:

TSH 4.06 ref range: 0.74-5.01 (last done 6/10...3.66)
FT4 0.8 ref range: 0.6-1.2

The Vitamin D, Free T3 and rT3 had to be sent out for processing. I did inform my NP that the reference ranges for the TSH were out of date and were changed. My last TSH on 6/10 of 3.66, the lab that I used was different, they had a range of between 0.3-3.5.

All my other labs did look superb! My Hematocrit was fine.

I also asked my NP to switch me over to Armour, she did not see a reason why I couldn't be. I am waiting so patiently for Monday.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-11, 19:05

BF:
Default Your TSH is high which means

TSH 4 is not real good, even though docs will say it is "in the normal range". TSH closer to 1 is better but for some it makes them feel hyper...you will have to see how you feel after Armour is added, it made me feel weird and it was hard to get because of shortage so I switched over to t4/t3 compound...I feel worlds better...

Ok...yikes...bad at supplements??? As a hypo patient you need to realize that you have deficiencies....do a google search on Mary Shomon and supplements and you will learn why we need to take them...basically our genes just don't work right so low thyroid which affects our metabolism...meds will help, but you still need some supplements and the ones you take will also help with low carb dieting...kinda feel like mom telling you to eat your veggies...I will stop nagging but they will help...

Coffee drains pituitary, especially in low carb patients, can you cut that out and see how you feel?

Also how are you taking your meds? Are you making sure its on an empty stomach, and you don't eat for at least an hour afterwards??? Seriously it is important. I started taking my meds first thing in the morning when I wake to go potty. I get back in bed for about an hour or so. I noticed a BIG difference in their effectiveness. The list of things that can interfere with thyroid meds is daunting and if you are mixing them with other things it will be bad. For example, soy, iron, calcium, magnesium, and any stimulate including decongestant can effect the meds, also the broccoli and cabbage family can interfere with absorption as well....so its best to take them as soon as you can and not with anything else...

And here is the big question....are you taking your meds daily and not skipping doses a few times a week....

All of the above are critical. But so is eating enough carbs a day (veggies and even maybe some berries every other day or so), also are you getting enoughs fat with your protein?

What does your diet look like in a day?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-11, 05:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelrivas
TSH 4 is not real good, even though docs will say it is "in the normal range". TSH closer to 1 is better but for some it makes them feel hyper...you will have to see how you feel after Armour is added, it made me feel weird and it was hard to get because of shortage so I switched over to t4/t3 compound...I feel worlds better...

Ok...yikes...bad at supplements??? As a hypo patient you need to realize that you have deficiencies....do a google search on Mary Shomon and supplements and you will learn why we need to take them...basically our genes just don't work right so low thyroid which affects our metabolism...meds will help, but you still need some supplements and the ones you take will also help with low carb dieting...kinda feel like mom telling you to eat your veggies...I will stop nagging but they will help...

Coffee drains pituitary, especially in low carb patients, can you cut that out and see how you feel?

Also how are you taking your meds? Are you making sure its on an empty stomach, and you don't eat for at least an hour afterwards??? Seriously it is important. I started taking my meds first thing in the morning when I wake to go potty. I get back in bed for about an hour or so. I noticed a BIG difference in their effectiveness. The list of things that can interfere with thyroid meds is daunting and if you are mixing them with other things it will be bad. For example, soy, iron, calcium, magnesium, and any stimulate including decongestant can effect the meds, also the broccoli and cabbage family can interfere with absorption as well....so its best to take them as soon as you can and not with anything else...

And here is the big question....are you taking your meds daily and not skipping doses a few times a week....

All of the above are critical. But so is eating enough carbs a day (veggies and even maybe some berries every other day or so), also are you getting enoughs fat with your protein?

What does your diet look like in a day?

Thanks for the input, I will look up Mary Shomon's supplement info. I have always been the type of person, the less I take the better. I take my Synthroid only on an empty stomach before eating every morning. I skipped Friday per required for all my lab work. When I took it Saturday, I think I felt worse. Like I said..maybe in my head LOL. I don't eat soy products. I can't get past the taste and I think living in a city that had a soy bean plant did it too. The smell from that plant was sickening and just ruined me.

Coffee, I love my coffee especially in the winter and cool mornings. When it get's warmer I will stop drinking it for the most part. Coffee also kicks starts peristalsis for me too which is an added benefit from it.

Here is my diet from yesterday:

Breakfast
8 oz Coffee with 1 tsp Coconut oil, 1T h. cream, AS

Lunch
5 oz pan fried chuck steak in 2T of EVOO
1/2 C aparagus with 2 T of cheese sauce from recipe using cream, cr. cheese, butter, monterrey jack cheese, wochestshire, paprika
2 C Salad with 3 mushrooms,1/4 C of orange bell pepper, 2T Ranch dressing and drizzle of EVOO
6 Strawberries

Dinner
Shish Kabobs grilled.
4 oz steak
8 shrimp
3 skewers of veggies that included red bell, onion, zucchini, yellow squash dizzled with some EVOO
Individual cheesecake for dessert drizzled with my homemade hot fudge
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-11, 07:03
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 200/185/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Exhausted

I have chronic fatigue syndrome and so I know all about being exhausted. I take 1/2 grain of armour thyroid per day and my levels are all normal. I follow my own diet plain, which consists of no wheat and no sugar. I eat rice and corn grain, but just no wheat grain. I also take a supplement of turmeric. Since I started taking the turmeric twice a day, I have turned the corner. I feel good all the time and my energy levels have been getting higher and higher. I think seriously restricting carbs can result in a tired feeling, but also not being on the right supplement for hypothyroidism can cause tiredness also. I am very allergic to synthroid and when I take it I feel spaced out and get headaches. Hope you get some more energy soon, and I hope you like the armour. Remember to always refill your script a week before as it is harder to get refilled than synthroid. Sometimes I have to go on a pharmacy hunt to find it.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-11, 01:43

BF:

Hey Shell your diet looks pretty good, very similar to mine except I do more carbs, and less liquid oils (I try to get most of my fat from animal sources, and not cook with oils because they oxidize). Also, I always do an Atkins bar in the morning or a Atkins Shake (is that what you meant by AS?) so I can get a few more nutrients in the morning, I have trouble stomaching breakfast on weekdays...

But I am wondering if you are getting enough calories...you don't look like you get enough natural fats...can you add some raw nuts or avocado, like a 1/4 cup per day? Is the steak you buy lean or marbled? Sound really weird but I have found that when I reduced liquid forms of oil and added more natural fats in meat and other naturally occurring foods I got a lot more energy...I really try hard NOT to cook with liquid oils...when you read about oxidizing oil and what it does to your system it makes you really ask them to "hold the oil" when cooking.

And I would add some more fruit...not much, like a few more berries. I have no problem with apples and pears (one a day)...but I eat more carbs so that might mess you up...

I am hoping you feel better after the Armour!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-11, 09:03

Default Update

Hi everyone!

I had some peace and silence around here to get on the forums and update everyone. I have had a house full of family, my son has returned home from his tour in Africa with the National Guard last friday, and a NP appointment..I have been busy.

I have dwelved into all the websites and research for Hypo and learned new things while waiting out that pre exist waiting period that ended last day of March. I wanted to go to my appointments armed and ready. I made an appointment with my regular nurse practioner and had her draw the lab that I wanted for my thyroid on April 1st. During this appointment I told her that I wanted to be converted from T4 to Armour. The rT3 and FT3 had to be sent off for processing. During that time, I began having moderate chest pain that would radiate down my left arm and up into my jaw. I know it was not cardiac related because it was the same chest pain that sent me to the ER 6 years ago when I was first diagnosed with Hypo. After waiting a week and no word of my labs that had to be sent out. I called my NP and let her know about the chest pain. And as you can guess, she has had my labs for 2 days and wants to see me to rule out cardiac issues immediately. My husband drove me to the NP office, I was given a cardiac workup that included a EGK, cardiac enzymes lab. All was normal like I knew it would be. I was also worked up for RA..which was negative too. I was informed by the NP that she spoke to the Dr. about my situation and wanting to convert to Armour. The Dr. disagreed and said I needed anti-depressant, that I was depressed. I STERNLY told the NP that I was not depressed and so did my husband . She did refer me to an Endo appointment for May 6th. Who wants to wait that long??

Discouraged, frustrated, just all around pissed...I came home and went to the Thyroid-info.com doctors recommendation list and started calling and making appointments. There was a NP that is 30 min away that was recommended so I made an appointment with her also, for the 19th.

My mother went to the NP appointment with me. I was skeptical, having dealt with the last one. This NP turned out to be my SAVIOR! She is very knowlegeable, LISTENED, explained everything and looked at my labs last and drew more labs. She treats symptoms first, lab second. I came in to this appointment with ALL my s/s typed out with the ones that were the most severe in bold. This NP looked at my list and told me that I was having hormonal issues too, and proceeded to explain how everything is tied together. This NP was in my room for 40 minutes. I came out of this appointment with compounded T3/T4 and compounded Progesterone scripts. She felt she will need to increase the T3 at the next appointment that she scheduled for 3 weeks later for lab and follow up. I could of kissed and hugged her when I left her office! I can't describe to you how relieved I was when I left her office.

Am I feeling better? Since that doctors appointment and starting my medication that day, the progesterone has helped with my sleeping and gradually with some of my s/s. Same for the thyroid meds..gradually. I have a little more energy that is easily spent but, not the exhausted as I was. I'm slowly improving. The chest pain is not fully relieved..it is worse on days that I am more tired. With last week being so hectic and busy, I crashed on Sunday and Monday. It will take some time and med adjustment.

Here are my lab results from April 1..reference ranges in ()

Free T3 - 2.3 (2.3-4.2)
Free T4 - 0.8 (0.6-1.2)
TSH - 4.06 (0.47-5.01)
rT3 64H

Thanks everyone for the support and words of encouragement and the forums to help! I always had some mild s/s of hypo in the last 6 years, I was told I would have to live with it or I was depressed and needed medication for it. Had I not started LC'ing and found this website and began reading the Hypothyroid thread, I would have not known that there is new alternatives, new research, and new websites by thyroid patient advocates for all of us who suffers from this. AGAIN, A BIG THANK YOU!!

Michelle

I also wanted to tell everyone that when I was asked what type of diet that I follow by the new NP and I informed her Atkins OWL.. she was very pleased and I got the thumbs up from her

Last edited by Shell1370 : Thu, Apr-28-11 at 09:13.