Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 09:07

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default This, That and PP Chat for August '07

How come it is August all ready? ! ? ! ?
What happened to . . .

OH! That's right I had to go to Iowa the middle of July and have not recovered from the trip yet.

Hope everyone is fine. Sorry I have not had time to post any replies. Maybe I will get caught up soon so I can participate here on a more regular basis.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 13:38
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

I was just thinking about all my PP friends. I'm sorry I haven't been in touch either. July was a blur...we had some weddings (they are getting harder for me) and we've also had a rough patch with my "first baby" (my kitty cat Jazzy) who might be dying. <sigh> The good news is that my baby-on-the-way seems to be doing very well. I heard his/her heartbeat again today and my, oh my, was it strong and easy to hear this time. (Loud and proud! haha) I'm still struggling with eating as well as I'd like...but all things considered, I'm doing alright. I take my prenatals every day and I still eat good foods and feel well...and my baby is doing well...so I have to figure I'm doing something right.

Hope everyone is well! Wish I could join you in the chat about weight loss, but as you can see, mine is climbing steadily! I'm trying not to worry about it and just concentrating on being healthy. I'll post more pictures soon. Take care everyone!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-07, 11:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

yikes! it is August. July flew by....

No changes here. Same weight. Still sticking with PP. Was off plan for a few days in California; not really in control of my own food/time/cooking/choice of restaurants. Yeah, something of an excuse, but let me tell you that it was quite an effort to manage the travel: coast to coast travel to far Northern CA mountains then over to Santa Cruz and back, four adults, one 3 yr old, one car, five different eating habits, beach/boardwalk, hotel, etc in in five days. So I stuck as best I could to eating PP. Worst offender was pizza ordered twice; was really in no position to object/special order/etc. I had some great food in odd places: a smoked turkey leg at a street fair which all my companions envied, omlettes cooked with organic eggs and farmers market veggies nearly every morning, and giant carne asada tacos with guacamole. The non LC beer and pizza did me in however. lol. took all week to drop the water weight.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-07, 17:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmfrog
Worst offender was pizza ordered twice
You need to do as I do. I have a friend that I used to eat lunch with every day when we were in the same division. Now that I have retired and he has not, I try to eat once a month with him. The problem is there are only two suitable places to meet. One is a buffet where it is easy to eat too much, even thought not hard to keep low carb. The other is a Pizza Hut that is close to my house. I now order a personal pan with 4 meats on it. When it comes I scrape off the topping and leave the crust, the worst part of the pizza.

Here is another hint/suggestion for those times when you are traveling, especially long distances. Stop at one of the large grocery chains for supper/lunch. Most now have a deli counter and many have a place to sit and eat in the store. When I go to Iowa from Virginia, I have stopped in Ohio at Meijer, a chain like Wall-Mart or Target, which also has gas and was near to the interstate so there was a sign for them on the interstate. In Iowa, there is HyVee. I will order something like roast beef or chicken sliced for sandwiches. Then often I can get cold slaw or sometimes a broccoli salad. Some places have a salad bar that will get you the vegies you need. Then I drink half and half (cream/milk) which usually can be bought in a pint container. At the Meijer store they gave me a paper glass so I could have free water and ice out of the soft drink machine. Meger meal but very close to fully on plan. I know that the slaw and broccoli salad had added sugars in them so that was not fully “up to snuff!” but it was close enough to due in a pinch.

Last edited by LarryAJ : Thu, Aug-02-07 at 18:55.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-07, 10:52

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Hi all!! Yep, it's August already!!

I've been sticking with my plan and doing well. Been busy lately...very busy. Work has been crazy and I've been working at packing up my house, getting it ready to sell and looking for a new place....a smaller place!!

Hope all of you are well!! Summer will be over before we know it!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-07, 10:05

Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryAJ
You need to do as I do. I have a friend that I used to eat lunch with every day when we were in the same division. Now that I have retired and he has not, I try to eat once a month with him. The problem is there are only two suitable places to meet. One is a buffet where it is easy to eat too much, even thought not hard to keep low carb. The other is a Pizza Hut that is close to my house. I now order a personal pan with 4 meats on it. When it comes I scrape off the topping and leave the crust, the worst part of the pizza.

Here is another hint/suggestion for those times when you are traveling, especially long distances. Stop at one of the large grocery chains for supper/lunch. Most now have a deli counter and many have a place to sit and eat in the store. When I go to Iowa from Virginia, I have stopped in Ohio at Meijer, a chain like Wall-Mart or Target, which also has gas and was near to the interstate so there w

as a sign for them on the interstate. In Iowa, there is HyVee. I will order something like roast beef or chicken sliced for sandwiches. Then often I can get cold slaw or sometimes a broccoli salad. Some places have a salad bar that will get you the vegies you need. Then I drink half and half (cream/milk) which usually can be bought in a pint container. At the Meijer store they gave me a paper glass so I could have free water and ice out of the soft drink machine. Meger meal but very close to fully on plan. I know that the slaw and broccoli salad had added sugars in them so that was not fully “up to snuff!” but it was close enough to due in a pinch.

thanks larry - you always have the best ideas. Your strategies are my ussual ones but this was a far different trip. I was traveling with two vegetarians to boot...we had a rented car once we flew to California, but I was not the driver and the entire time there was only one swing to a grocery store. We were in the middle of nowhere much of the time. The Santa Cruz part of the trip was the easiest. I did pretty well most of the time, the morning they all stopped for muffins and bakery I got a great tomato mozz basil salad and mineral water instead. The pizza issue was more about trying not to make waves, and when you only get one slice of the pie, the toppings just don't cut it! lol. They first time they bought bake your own pizzas I paid for them to get me some chicken breasts at the store for me to grill. They never materialized - likely forgotten in the chaos. In hindsight I should have been more clear and demanding - after three days with the wining, howling 3.5 year old I just did not want to make things harder on my hosts. It truly hard to explain or comprehend but the kid is really really difficult behavior wise, and always has been (I did some childcare for him when he was 6 moths to a year and a half old). Other children remark on his out there behavior (hitting, biting, screaming are but a few fun examples.) With him in the car there is no stopping for any addtional reasons other than gas and restroom. If he wakes up, which he frequently does when the car stops, he screams and cries uncontrollably- sometimes for an hour or more. The rental car was in someone elses name since I was not there when it was rented so there was no way I felt comfortable driving around on my own and the nearest store was like 30 - 45 min away down one of the steepest and most winding mountain roads I've ever seen.

I ate remarkably well considering.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-07, 21:57

Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

How did it get to be August already?

What kind of cake can I bake for my birthday on Friday?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 20:13
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthla
How did it get to be August already?

What kind of cake can I bake for my birthday on Friday?

You got me!! I'm still shaking my head as to how I got to be 18 weeks pregnant already. LOL

My vote is for cheesecake! LC cheesecake is as good, if not better, than the original higher carb one...it lends itself beautifully to LCing even with options to reduce fat if desired. I have a great recipe (based on Bawdy's devine design as well as some other recipes I've come across). I'm sure between us we can offer you a basis for a recipe you like!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 08:47

BF:

Except that I'm allergic to cow's milk products. I suppose I COULD make a cheesecake out of goat milk, but my birthday is on Shabbat and we're going to be having meat so I can't have dairy with it.

Unless I hold off the birthday celebration until Sunday.

Darnit! I just realized I missed my chance to celebrate on my Hebrew birthday instead- it was yesterday.

Plus I'm feeling bummed because I actually gained a pound this week. I was bummed enough last week having only lost half a pound, now I'm up from that.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 12:41
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Well, another option would be doing a lemon almond meal based pound cake and having sliced sweetened berries (skipping the heavy cream obviously) to top it off? Those are my two favorite (and most legit/yummy IMO) LC desserts.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-07, 05:31

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

Hi Ruth! My birthday is today too! Since I'm wanting to start over today and climb back on the wagon, I don't know what to do either. I might make a chocolate cake (LC) if I still have the recipe. Cheesecake just takes too long. It doesn't help that I just got back into town today.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-07, 09:32

BF:

Here is a little present for all the birthday ladies. Click on the image and see what happens.

I'll add this so the rest will not feel left out.

Last edited by LarryAJ : Fri, Aug-10-07 at 09:37.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-07, 12:44

BF:

Aww, how sweet!

My girls decided that it's completely wrong of me to bake my own birthday cake, so they're baking it for me.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 12:54

BF:

Is everybody on vacation or what?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 15:45
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthla
Is everybody on vacation or what?

ROFL Hardly! Quite the opposite, actually. The Reader's Digest version is that I had a heartbreaking week of having to put my dear, sweet kitty cat down (he was my first "baby") to keep him from suffering from cancer...then we had to pack and drive to an out-of-town wedding (11-hour day Saturday, from which I'm still recovering) and then somewhere in all that I lost internet connection so I got backed up with uploads/orders and e-mails as well as posting. Oh yeah, and in-between I'm dealing with my Mom, who periodically gets very demanding (I'm getting backlash from leaving her "all alone" this weekend when we worked out of town). And oh yeah, I'm also experiencing the joys of pregnancy! Ok, sorry if that sounded sarcastic, it really has been amazing. My food cravings and appetite are WAY off, which is frustrating. But I'm actually at my half-way mark (20 weeks) and I swear I've felt the baby move, so that's exciting. This Friday is my big anatomy ultasound...and the first one I've had since week 6, so I'm excited to actually SEE my baby. (Thank goodness I've heard the heartbeat a couple of times along the way.) If the tech can tell us, we'll find out if it's a boy or a girl. I'll come back and post when I know.

I hope everyone is well...