Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 14:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208.5/196/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default "Die off" symptoms

Ok, I did the "spit test", and from all the other reading, I do believe I have a candida problem.

I've been on Atkins for over a year (with ups and downs), but now I'm eliminating alcohol,(AGGHH) cheese (gasp!) and splenda(sigh).

I take caprylic acid (2, twice a day) and olive leaf, and I read somplace here not to take acidophyllus at the same time, so I might take that in the middle of the day starting tomorrow.

I've got rheumatoid arthritis, and take methotrexate, and I SWEAR that's the problem--I went off it once for almost a year, and was yeast-infection-free! As long as I'm taking it, I've either got a yeast infection, or I feel like I'm on the verge of one--(you girls'll know what I mean) I'm sick of main-stream docs and their "take this pill" response to everything.

What are the symptoms of this "die off" that's supposed to happen?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 22:19

Plan: low carb for life
Stats: ???/???/??? Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default "What is die-off"

Hi Patrizia-- I've been on vacation since April 23 otherwise I would have responded sooner. I have in my hand right now a book that has been a life saver for me. It is "The Fungus Link" by Doug A. Kaufmann. On page 71 of the book there is a personal story of healing. I will quote "I began to experience what Doug referred to as "Herxheimer's reaction," more commonly known as the "die-off" of fungus.

Once again, I felt as if I was dying. My hands were shaky, my vision was blurred, my ears were ringing, I experienced numbness in my hands and legs, I was depressed, disoriented, and confused. Extremely fatigued, my severe headaches persisted, my hair began to fall out, and I cried most of the time. I dropped out of college for lack of concentration skills and I felt worthless. My complextion took on a pasty white appearance and those around me constantly stared with horror on their faces. Numerous times I was told that I should find another doctor or seek another opinion. Thank God I did not. I stuck it out and now those problems are behind me. I really feel that Doug saved my life or at least gave me a life back. I am forever grateful for him and his staff."

Appendix-15 of same book reads, "Always remember the adage, "No pain, no gain." As we starve yeast and fungi, a phenomenon called "Herxheimer's reaction" may occur. In the 1930's, German dermatologist Dr. Carl Herxheimer first described the body's reaction to the massive killing of microorganisms and the resulting sudden load of toxins released into the blood stream. Also known as "die off," these reactions are typically characterized by flu-like symptome, chills, aches, and sometimes a low grade fever. It is not rare to suffer from a worsening of the very symptoms you originally experienced. Thirty to forty percent of our clients notice "die off" reactions. This reaction is often a good sign as it verifies that you have been harboring these fungi for quite some time and you have now begun to eradicate them. Like any living thing, they don't like to die! Also, recall that the skin is the largest organ in your body, so it is not rare to see outbreaks or worsening of rashes as the body begins to "clean house." Taking Essiac tea two or three times daily can significantly lessen the Herxheimers's reaction.

How will you know that this is not a reaction to something you are taking? If you are reacting to something that you have just started, you will feel worse and worse. Not so if you are experiencing a "die-off" reaction. Within a few days you wil fel much better even though yo continue taking the supplement. In our experience, the longer the "die-off" reaction, the more severe the fungal problem; however, this is not always predictable."

I hope this helps answer your question. Of course this list is not the final word, I personally have experienced die-off reactions that are not listed here. The key is that they did not last very long and I did get progressively better. My initial die-off lasted over 2 weeks. I was about to give up the diet and supplements (priscription Nystatin also) and then I started getting better. Hang in there. God Bless-Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 20:57
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I have quite a few of those symptoms for die off, but I only started treating my diet and taking suppliments to treat yeast today. The LC diet may of been killing some off already. I assumed it was the diet suppliments I started taking once again and a mild flu bug. It could be a combination of all three.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 10:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Heck, I've felt like that person while I was in the THROES of candida (forget the die off portion). That for me is the scariest part, as I get sick, it is sudden and ugly like that (sans the hair falling out though).

I always believe in pulling yourself out of it at a slower pace so you don't feel like that - that is ugly to go through (especially the panic attacks and feeling like you are going to scream the scream of the insane).
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 16:04

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

What is the spit test, please?

Jinx

nevermind. I found it.

Last edited by MsJinx : Thu, Jul-17-03 at 16:21.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 14:32

Plan: My own
Stats: 255/248/180 Male 5 ft. 10 in.
BF:
Progress: 9%

Read "Thin for Good" by Fred Pescatore' M.D. he has a low carb diet specified for yeast problems
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 12:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/255/135 Female 5ft9inches
BF:
Progress:

how soon after taking suppliments for candida can you expect the die off symptoms to occur?