Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 05:44

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Sunday, August 22, 2004 REST DAY

Sunday has always been my rest day in the BFL plan. This is the first nice day in about a week, though, so I'll do some chores to keep busy. Not sure yet if the grass needs to be cut (was cut on Tuesday), but those dang gardens still need weeding.

Tomorrow marks my first day trying to get up early to do my upper-body workout before leaving for the office. It takes usually 40 minutes to do the workout. Maybe I can skimp a little on the rest periods between the sets. Not much, just a little.

Funny, I'm not sore at all from yesterday's workout. I thought for sure my quads/hamstrings/butt would be sore from those step-ups. I suppose I could try heavier weights, but the step is about as high as I should go. I'm doing the full sets of 12, 10, 8, 6, 12.

Ideas? Or should I just not worry that I'm not sore?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-04, 06:27

BF:
Default Monday, August 23, 2004 CARDIO

Cardio workout: 20-minute interval workout on stationary bike.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 03:43

BF:
Default Tuesday, August 24, 2004 UPPER body

Bowflex: 30, 40, 50, 60, 50
Chest: Bench press
Triceps: Triceps press
Chest: Flyes
Back: Standing lat pulldowns (wide arm)
Back: Sitting lat pulldowns (close grip)
Free weights
Biceps: Bicep curls (each dumbbell): 5, 8, 10, 12, 10
Back: Dumbbell pullovers (total weight): 10, 12, 15, 20
Shoulders: Standing rows (each dumbbell): 5, 7, 10, 12, 10
The workout this morning was a LOT harder than the first time. Last time, I was able to do the heaviest weight, perhaps not with ease, but was certainly able to do it in good form. Today was a struggle. This has happened before, so it's probably normal. Sort of a "beginner's luck."

It's not so bad getting up right at 4:00 and going right in to work out. I have all the equipment in a room off the bedroom, so it's not like I have to drive to the gym.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-04, 18:03

BF:

Exercise?

Er . . . could you define the word? It's meaning escapes me at the moment.

#20   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 03:19

BF:

Gym log? I have a gym log?

My workout regimen lately has consisted of running, jumping, pushing, stretching, and twisting.

. . . running off at the mouth

. . . jumping to conclusions

. . . pushing 50

. . . stretching the truth

. . . twisting the facts

#21   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 08:01

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

ROTFL - Good one!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 12:30
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 152/145/135 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:

hahahaha
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-04, 17:56

BF:

Guess what! I worked out again today. One day in a row!

Visited DH on the job in Michigan a couple weekends ago, and we worked out together both days of the weekend.

Truth is, I forgot to set the clocks back on Saturday night, and ended up getting up at 3:00 am, and got to work at 6:00. Then stupid me AGAIN forgot to set the clocks last night, and ended up getting up at 3:00 again. This time I decided to use the time, so I did a 20-minute interval aerobic session. Felt good. Tomorrow I'm going to try doing an upper-body BFL routine. Yes, I changed the clocks. Plan on getting up at 4:00, and working out until around 4:30. I should be able to fit most of it in.

At least that's the plan!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-04, 18:42

BF:

Wow! Make that THREE days in a row getting up at 4:00 am and working out. Monday I did the interval cardio, Tuesday was upper body, today was the interval cardio again. Tomorrow will be lower body.

Let's just hope this turns into a habit!

Still dreaming of getting a treadmill. We're giving away two pieces of equipment -- both the tower gym sort of things. We can do everything these pieces can do, and more, on the Bowflex, so there's no need to keep them around. And getting rid of them will leave room for a treadmill.

Yup, there's a method to my madness!
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 17:25

BF:

FOUR days in a row. Did a killer lower-body workout this morning (again at 4:00 am). My legs were so wobbly when I was done I didn't know how I was going to make it down the stairs!

I'm at 152 again, same as my lowest before. But back then I was doing Body for Life and I was a lot more toned than I am now. That leads me to believe that if I do BFL workouts on a regular basis now, I might get below 150. Too much to ask for? Hope not!

I just hate feeling so jiggly all over. I was better toned before. That's definitely a positive for weight training vs. aerobics, though BFL combines both.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Nov-06-04, 05:55

BF:

Ended up skipping Friday's interval aerobic workout. I must have worked my lower body more intensely than I had thought. Those sqats and lunges (especially with weights) will reallly do a number on you!

Still feeling pretty sore today. I'll do an upper-body workout a bit later, and tomorrow I'll take a nice long power walk with the dog. No hunters out on Sunday, so I'll feel a bit safer.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 18:26

BF:

Woke up at quarter to 3 this morning, laid in bed until 3:30, and decided to get up. Did the pet thing (feed, out, in), and then did a 20-minute interval cardio on the stationary bike ala BFL.

Felt good.

Started getting bleary-eyed around 1:00 this afternoon, though! Will be hitting the sack around 8:00 tonight.

Hey, it's not like I have a life or anything!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Dec-26-04, 11:33

BF:

Hi! Remember me? Time to get serious again. Too many cookies.

Today was the third day of regular BFL workouts again, but with the cardio portion every day. That means Friday I did cardio and upper body, yesterday I did cardio and lower body, and today again I did cardio and upper body. Feeling really good to test those muscles again.

I find I really enjoy the upper-body workouts, but have to force myself to do the lower body. I do quad extensions and hamstring curls on the Bowflex, which is great. The part I don't like is doing squats, lunges, and the like.

DH surprised me with a treadmill for Christmas! Not that I haven't been almost begging for one for the past couple of months or anything! The store didn't offer delivery, so we ordered it online. It's the ProForm 775i, which retails (according to the site) at $1399. They had it on sale for $799 with free shipping ($130 value). They even offered "white glove delivery" on this model, which means they'll take it off the truck, carry it a maximum of one flight of stairs, and put it in the room you want! If you don't get the white glove delivery, they won't even help you get it off the truck! So it was a great deal! AND, today I checked it again, and NOW it's only on sale for $1299!!! We sure lucked out!

It should arrive in 2 to 3 weeks. I can't wait!

I have such limited time to work out. I get up at 4:00 and don't get home until usually around 7:00 at night. That doesn't leave much room for dinner and a life before going to bed. Whereas I can't bring myself to do a weight workout in the evening, I'm thinking a treadmill is doable.

Anyone out there have experience with treadmills? Like them? Love them?
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Dec-26-04, 12:29

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, Bawdy! Merry Christmas, and congratulations on getting the gifts of your dreams (and I'm not talking just about the treadmill! )!

I envy you having the space for an entire home gym. I'm fairly lucky, in that my no-frills gym is only 2 blocks away from my apartment, but even so it takes more time to get prepared, etc. So you're probably at least one step ahead of the rest of us slobs!

Now, over the summer I take up residence in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere, and there I have a treadmill, a pretty good Sears model. So I can tell you that depending on how hard you want to push yourself, you can watch TV, listen to your favorite workout CDs, or even read a mag on it. Does it have an automatic (or manual) incline option? If you're using it to walk, the incline is terrific to raise your heart rate. If you keep a water bottle on it, make sure the cap is closed at all times! For me, the major difference between treadmill and outdoors is the boredome factor. I love watching the countryside (or city park) pass by as I jog, and doing the same cardio on a treadmill just isn't the same. But now and then there's something really interested on TV, or some really inspiring music, and I can get rolling. The trade-off, of course, is that I can use the treadmill when the weather would otherwise prevent a cardio WO.

I guess you've already figured that you'll need some sort of rubber mat underneath the length of the unit--that's always a good idea, for the floor as well as security.

Quote:
I find I really enjoy the upper-body workouts, but have to force myself to do the lower body.

I'm the same way, although I suspect for a different reason: Until I lose the excess fat around butt and thighs, any lower-body workout I do builds muscle underneath the fat--and the result is an even bigger-looking "fat" me! I'm more muscular underneath, but it can't be seen! So I guess I focus on upper-body WOs too--and do my cardio and hope that once I get off the last ten pounds, I can start building myself up in glutes and quads (if I decide to).

Anyway, congratulations again--and have a lovely New Year!

Best, sona
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-04, 06:45

BF:

Hi, Sona!

I also like walking outdoors, but never have been able to get into jogging or running. I walk at 4 mph (minimum) along a very up and down country road. The trouble is, you can't walk in the winter because of the snow, and it's hard to walk in the summer in the morning because of all the bugs and in the afternoon because of the heat. Also, at least at this time of year, it's dark when I would want to walk. Not a good idea, even if I do live in Maine where there's virtually no crime.

Do you really think I need a pad under the treadmill? The room is carpeted with berber carpet, and there's a carpet pad underneath. Think I still need one?

There is a TV in the room, but I prefer working out in silence with no distractions. I find that's the only way I can concentrate on my body and on keeping proper alignment, speed, etc. I don't find it boring at all.

And yes, the treadmill has a power incline. Here's a link to all the features: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...rentPage=family

It's also iFit-compatible (iFit.com). It's an online service (don't know much about it yet) that you can use. You can buy VCR tapes, CDs, etc. with special programs and then connect the treadmill via cable into the TV or CD player to play the program (the program actually controls the treadmill settings!). Cool, huh? I'll have to post on the main exercise board to see if anyone has done this.

I can't wait to get it!