Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-15, 08:59

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I don't think you're crazy at all. I do like how you see you're an outlier and aren't trying to advocate that anyone else does it.
When I have pizza (and I do sometimes) I consider it off plan just because the carb load is too high for a meal, for me.

Pizza with bread dough is a problem for me and others, but you are different! why not take advantage, I say?

check out all the ways you are blessed:

- have a physically active job
- can have 2 slices and stop
- can limit to once a week
- can stand "thin" delite version of pizza
- like salad with it
- never been really overweight.

ha ha I can safely say I am the opposite of ALL that!

- have a sedentary job
- 2 slices is just the appetizer to 8 slices
- once a week sets up the monster for 1-5 times a week
- thin delite pizza yukky, not worth it
- hate cold slimy bitter raw veg salads
- have been really overweight

So you can see how my situation is so far from yours.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-15, 10:41
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicekitty
Where did everyone go? I've got a bit of a confession--I eat pizza! Feeling a bit guilty about that after reading the recent post by a new Low carber, and I certainly don't want to derail her. But I also LOVE pizza, and about once a week we get a Papa Murphys delite (thin crust) pizza, and I have a couple of slices for dinner, with a salad. Can't recall how many carbs, but it's not outrageous, and hasn't completely derailed me yet.

Maybe I'm kind of an outlier as my job is so physically active, and I've never been really overweight. But I just can't see depriving myself of pizza forever, if I keep it within reason. I certainly don't think I'll ever be going to Costco and getting those huge carbfest slices ever again (like I used to do quite often)! Am I crazy to include pizza in my diet? If someone had a low-carb (thin) crust, I'd be all over that.

How nice for you that you're able to do that once a week and not have it effect you.
I love pizza too....and I know me. I can't have just one slice....and that is a big warning sign to me.
We each need to find ways to live and eat and not do damage to all the work we did to lose the weight in the first place.
Right now, 10 yrs into maintaining over 100 lbs lost, I am getting the sugar back out of my diet. It truly is never ending.
  #168   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-15, 15:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

PACarolSue, if I made soup for dinner, and Husband wanted more, I would point out the pantry and the frig for him.

When the kids were young, if they didn't want what I made, they could make their own. Same goes for him.

People who have someone to cook for them frequently don't realize what a gift they have, with every meal put on the table for them. I think the ones who are the most demanding need to be reminded!

As for pizza...I don't eat grains. Period. So I am currently on a hunt for a good tasting, good texture keto crust. I found a recipe that uses tapioca flour. If it's good, I'll post the recipe, as I'm making it today.
  #169   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-15, 16:47

Follow up. I am officially an idiot. Tapioca flour is NOT low carb; 26 grams in 1/4 cup, and the recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups. Did I bother looking at the carbs count on the bag of flour? Of course not.

It does make a large pizza, rolls out to pretty much cover a big cookie sheet.

I'll have to eat one piece whole, and then just the toppings from another. Pizza sauce, quatro formaggio blend and spicy Italian sausage with a couple mild peppers from the garden.

In three weeks I can be scraping the toppings from my favorite pizza: Quatro Stagione (four seasons), with a different topping on each of the quarters of the pizza, from Daughter and her husband's favorite place in their city. I eat one of each, and have at least one of each left over.
  #170   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-15, 17:29

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Follow up. I am officially an idiot. Tapioca flour is NOT low carb; 26 grams in 1/4 cup
Heavens no! I never could figure out why tapioca flour seems like such a favorite with the paleo crowd, I'm sure my BG would shoot skyward. I can imagine a thin wheat crust similar to a LC tortilla, never seen one, I don't think that would be too bad.
Quote:
- hate cold slimy bitter raw veg salads
I just had a nasty cold slimy salad thing with grease all over it (and nuts).
Quote:
Right now, 10 yrs into maintaining over 100 lbs lost, I am getting the sugar back out of my diet. It truly is never ending.
Sorry to hear that you are struggling with sugar, Judy. I'm so glad no one is keeping anything I like around the house. Husband has a box of mints, but I'm not fond of them. Otherwise it would be constant temptation.
  #171   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-15, 18:12

All was not lost. I rolled the dough out very thin, think cracker thin.

Then, when the pizza was done, cut it into 16 small pieces. Took three, ate the crust on one, and that's less than 10 grams. WHEW! I highly recommend Trader Joe's spicy Italian links (chicken) and their quatro formaggio blend. It has cellulose in it, but as that's 100% fiber, it's much better than the blends that have potato starch.
  #172   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-15, 10:05

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35

I make almond flour pizza crust. There's a recipe in Wheat Belly that's good.
  #173   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-15, 10:55

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:

Lost a lot of ground yesterday

My husband finally went to see a new doctor for a physical, after not having one for a couple of years. He really likes the new doctor, keeps saying how "reasonalbe" and "easy to talk with" he is. He does sound like a good doctor overall, I am jealous. They discussed several things, including my diet. The doctor said that LC was a good way to lose weight, but "not really a healthy diet to stay on long term". Now my husband totally agrees with him, carbohydrates are now good, and saturated fat not so good. Weight loss is totally CICO, etc...Months of programming down the drain!

Now my husband isn't terribly unhealthy--his blood pressure was fine, he's in fairly good shape, but he could definitely lose about 20-30 pounds. He has actually been on Atkins in the past, but considered it a weight loss diet only (you know how that works...pounds off....pounds on). This morning for breakfast he had two slices of toast with jam on them. Yuk. I'd love to measure his blood sugar after that, but he's terrified of needles, so I'm not getting anywhere. Besides, his doctor says he's in good shape, so no reason test anything!
  #174   ^
Old Wed, Oct-21-15, 12:58

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

[QUOTE=Nicekitty]Lost a lot of ground yesterday

etc...Months of programming down the drain!

QUOTE]

You keep doing what you do and let him do what he thinks is right. I am trying to get my wife off, soda, cakes and bad stuff slowly but her family is such a carb-o-holic family. Pasta, bread, and wine and soda is a staple it seems like. Even that they see how much better I look, they still continue. Oh well I will keep doing what I do.

Also how is it unhealthy, to not eat sugar, bread, and junk foods long term?
  #175   ^
Old Sat, Oct-31-15, 02:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/175/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yip! Let's just keep doing what we are doing and if it's not for others then thats up to them.
I know you are not pressurising him but it did made me think of my own beliefs now !

If I went to the Doctor and she said to be healthy I must "eat low fat with lots of healthy whole grains" I would be mortified. It's is exactly the opposite of what I am doing and I think to try the HEATHY approach now, would send my weight escalating and my spirit in a downward spiral!!

I just can't imagine ever following that way of eating again. In fact writing this has strengthened my conviction that this is the way I should be eating for life.

Some people can seem to eat anything and remain slim and healthy. I still kind of envy them because it would be nice not to have to always be so prepared. But hey ho, it is what it is.
  #176   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-15, 10:31

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

I really wish my wife would come aboard, she see's how small I have got, and people at this past family birthday party were talking about how small I look now. So I know things are working.

Note, it is very hard for some to do this plan. It takes a life change and dedication for life including NO CHEAT DAYS EVER. Then things will work for sure.

Slow and steady wins the race.
  #177   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-16, 20:17

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Are there still any semi-low carb people? Are they posting somewhere else?
  #178   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-16, 05:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/175/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yip I'm still here

I flit around the forum!!
Sometimes I think semi low-carb suits me better. Other times I wonder if having extra carbs makes me more hungry.
My carb level ranges from 40-60 in general. What level are you using?
  #179   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-16, 06:01
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/carb cycle/IF
Stats: 226/213/160 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

I'm still here too. I like GI/GL because it's easy to maintain, but my weight loss always stalls after a week or two. I've also tried CAD/CALP and had ve-e-ery slow but steady success. Again, it's easy to maintain, but also again, the weight loss always stalls. Same thing happens with LCHF. I see good results the first few days with all of these programs, but then the loss stalls, so I've decided to rotate the first first days of each WOE.

What I'm currently doing and am finding works best for me is doing very LCHF for a couple or three days, then switch to GI/GL for a couple days, and then switch to CAD/CALP or back to LCHF for a couple of three days. I don't feel deprived and continue to see success.

I suspect part of my resistance to weight loss may have something to do with the fact that I'm 71.
  #180   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-16, 06:51

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

H everyone. I still look around the forum but really dont post much anymore. At 65 I have to be careful with calories too so it seems different to me these days.

I had seen a post a while back about Great Lakes Gelatin which helps with hunger. I hope to reap the many benifits they talk about too. I made a smoothy with it this morning.

Since even keeping my carbs low dosent help, I just kind of wing it day to day. Keeping track on Fat Secret also helps me.

I started on weight machines a couple of weeks ago and can tell the difference. Im on no meds and that is very important to me.