Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-06, 13:06

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casandra
Elizellen..

Just wanted to say that the bread was AMAZING...i kept going on and on about it to my family..and they even said it wasen't that bad....I can't thank you enough for posting it....

Casandra
Glad you (and they) liked it!
It was one reason I was able to stick to induction for a year and a half without cheating before moving to OWL!!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-06, 06:11

Plan: Low Carb for LIFE
Stats: 160/160/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 0%

Elizellen,

So u consumed it regularly on induction???
I made it yesturday..and loved it...so i had some this morning as well..BUTTTT....it didn't settle well with me..I am extremely bloated....did u suffer from that as well..???

CAsandra
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-06, 11:54

Plan: Dr Greg Ellis
Stats: 10/10/10 Male 186 Cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Elizellen,

I made it yesturday..and loved it...so i had some this morning as well..BUTTTT....it didn't settle well with me..I am extremely bloated....did u suffer from that as well..???

CAsandra

thats because of the fibre, i used to have that too before i went low carb with all bran and stuff like that
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-06, 15:08

BF:

Quote:
Elizellen,

CAsandra

I only ever had a quarter of the whole recipe at one meal, and only once a day too. (so no more than one tablespoonsworth of flax)
I noticed no bad effects from it at all.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-06, 19:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

I finally made this and......wow!!!! I love it and am already formulating some possible adaptations of the recipe!

But, what about this "bloating" thing? Are people supposed to keep their flax consumption down to 1 tabl./day?
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-06, 20:49

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Some people can only handle 1T of flax in the beginning, but most can work up to 2-4T per day.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 01:54

BF:

Remember on Atkins induction that flax/linseed is only allowed under the 'to avoid/cure constipation rule' along with psyllium husks and wheat bran!!
It is not a 'regular ingredient' until you are at the seeds/nuts level/rung of OWL phase!
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 06:39

Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Some people can only handle 1T of flax in the beginning, but most can work up to 2-4T per day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Remember on Atkins induction that flax/linseed is only allowed under the 'to avoid/cure constipation rule' along with psyllium husks and wheat bran!!
It is not a 'regular ingredient' until you are at the seeds/nuts level/rung of OWL phase!

Thanks- we'll have to see how my tummy handles it. I made some last night and had about a third of it then. I used a third to make french toast this morning. (What a really quick and yummy way to make french toast!)

I'm at goal, so I've already gone through all the OWL rungs. It's fun to have this new food idea to play with!

Debbie
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 11:49

Stats: 278/252/180 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

This looks good, just bumping it up where i can find it again!
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 02:08
Registered Member

Stats: 202/189/168 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I'm want to try this but am confused as to what flax seed I should be buying. The only stuff I can find i the UK is cold milled flax seed. Does cold milled mean that it is already ground, or do I need to grind it further to make it the texture of flour?
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 06:10

Stats: 278/252/180 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I don't know for sure, but i'd think it would say "ground" flax seed on the package. They label it that way here. I've seen people say they grind the whole seeds in a cheap coffee grinder if they buy the whole type and store it in the freezer. Both ground and unground are sold in the stores here so I'm gonna take the easy way out when I get around to making this.
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 06:46
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Just look at the package. If it looks like coffee AFTER grinding, it's ground. If it looks like little seeds, it's not ground. You want it ground. If that helps!
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 09:15

BF:

Rightnow is right!
If it looks like birdseed then you need to grind it.

But if it is described as being 'milled' I assume it will have been ground already.

I havent been able to find a ready-ground supply cheaper than the seeds, so still grind my own as I go.

Apparently if you do buy the ready ground stuff it will need keeping in the fridge or freezer as it goes rancid quickly.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Sep-28-06, 12:09
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Wow! Alrighty. Using Bob's Red Mill 'ground golden flax meal' - which I might add is like a year old and was not refrigerated BUT was in airtight bags inside a closed box all that time, and it seems ok -- I made this recipe.

Modifications:

1 - I used only one (large, not medium) egg, and added 1 tsp sour cream and 1 Tbsp cream cheese to replace that.

(Trivia: I had the idea that butter and cream cheese could go in the same little tiny bowl to soften/melt. HAHAHA. In a few seconds, the cream cheese had melted to nearly nothing and was making massive noise popping from the fat, and the butter was nearly unaffected.)

2 - I added 1/2 tsp caraway seed. I love Rye bread and I thought that would help it taste like that. (USDA says 1/2 tsp caraway seed has 0.52 carbs and 0.4 fiber.)

3 - My microwave chronically overcooks everything to tasteless so, in my worry, I cooked it in 15 second increments to 2:25 and finally stopped, worried I'd overdo it. It was done but it wasn't very firm (it was fine for spreadable but had to be held underneath, carefully) so I think next time I will do it to 2:45 and see if I can get to 3 minutes without killing it.

As a note, I cooked it in a 6 inch round clear plastic bowl of the kind you buy to store things in.

It came out rather thin, by which I mean, I think I'd need to use my meat slicer to get four slices from this let alone 8. Perhaps that is the lack of a second egg?? If I sliced it the other direction (vertically) they'd only be an inch tall. So I just sliced it in half longways.

I mean, with a fragment added for the sourcream/creamcheese and caraway -- that is still only like 2 carbs and and 10g protein, I'm not complaining.

My family has a spread we call "toastez" spread, which is colby-jack mix, shredded finely, some grated fresh garlic to taste (we worship it so we use way more than most would), and enough mayo to mix that together into a slightly creamy but still kinda thick (you could almost sculpt it) spread. (If you like garlic and cheese you'll like it but if you're not into garlic forget it, it's yucky without it.) We usually serve this on toast with hot peppers very-thin sliced on the top (thai and cayenne and jalapeno and hot banana being faves, but we also use various sweet peppers).

I put a dose of toastez spread and peppers on one these slices.

It was GREAT! Holy cats! I was thinking wow, I was ready to be happy if it was even EDIBLE let alone good, but I was amazed that it really tasted good! full stars rating!

(Mind you, I would eat a volkswagon if it had toastez spread, so maybe you should let that temper how seriously you take me...)

Actually we have another spread we commonly use, if anybody's interested. You take cooked chicken and shred or chop it, add pesto and mix it up, add chopped peppers and a little extra parmesan. Mix the quantities so the final result is spoonable but thick. Spread some on bread (LC of course!) and sprinkle a little mozarella (or shredded parmesan) on the top and put it in a toaster oven (or equivalent) for about 10 minutes. It's ridiculously yummy.

DiGiorno makes the best brand of pesto I've ever had. I've had many. Might be good to make it at home for LC purposes though, though I admit we've never gotten close to the quality of their taste.

THANK YOU for posting this recipe! This rocks!

#60   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-06, 17:45

Plan: Lemonade (Master Cleanse)
Stats: 185.7/155/165 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:It's all body fat!
Progress: 148%
Default Flax Bread sounds good

Can someone tell me where I can find flax seed? This bread sounds good and I'm dying to try it. Can I use soy four instead?