Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 07:43
Fit and Happy

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

Good morning! I haven't heard of the Microsoft program, Linda. I hope it works well for you.

I need some coffee, too, to wake up! UGGH!
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 12:39

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 282/276/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi Everyone:

You guys are too funny, your posts just knock me out. From fish to photoshop!!!

Photoshop idea: do a search on Internet for photoshop tutorials. You'll find a lot of stuff out there. I have Corel Photo-Paint. It's equally hard. I'm a software wizz, and I'm having to stick my nose in the manual to understand it. They are POWERFUL programs though, well worth the effort.

Well, I made myself a decadent dessert last night: LC chocolate shake stuff in the blender, added cream, ice, and strawberries and misc. frozen fruit that I had in freezer. I didn't go wild, but the carbs were certainly around 15-20 for this one "eat." I loved it. Got on the scale today and finally broke the 234 barrier: 233.5 - yahoo!!

I've had a lot of meetings centered around food in the last couple of weeks. Another one tonight - women's meeting for church - WE ALWAYS EAT. They are making sandwiches for us, and we are to bring the "goodies" to go with it. I figure I will eat before leaving home and nibble if I can find anything suitable.

Have a great evening--
  #123   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 14:18

Plan: no/low sugar
Stats: 265/216/? Female 5'3"
BF:too much
Progress:

Well now...that fruit shake thingy sounds pretty good. I am fixing a chef salad for supper. Probably have some nuts for a snack later. In the morning James & I are going to the Carolina Boat Show in Raleigh. He suggested we eat at K & W when we get to Raleigh before the show...what a sweetie!

I had something illegal 2 nights ago...shhhhhhh. You know those frozen homemade biscuits...well the carbs are the same as a tortilla & I had one ...hot with SF Strawberry preserves. Talk about melt in your mouth!!! I haven't gained any so far, even showed 1/2 pound less on the scale this morning, but you know how that goes.

Do any of you use that agava or agave syrup? Where do you get it? I can't find it in any of the stores around here or in Fayetteville. Since we will be in Raleigh tomorrow, thought I might look around.

Randi I am NOT a software whiz. I don't even have a manuel with my programs..not that I could focus long enough to comprehend anyway..lol. I did teach myself to crochet and I did teach myself to paint, and I did teach myself to operate the comp well enough to make several websites...but this photo stuff with the weird termonology really throws me. But I am like a bulldog and it might take me years, but I WILL learn it! If only I was that dedicated to my portion sizes..oh well.

Y'all take care. Linda
  #124   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 14:51

Plan: My Own Thing
Stats: 299/222.5/160 Female 5'10"
BF:EEK!
Progress: 55%

Question:
Have any of you had any side effects on this diet? I have been "cheat free" for a little over a week now and here are the side effects that I have noticed:

Acne (this has went away on my face, but has remained on other parts of my body)
Excessively Oily skin (I mean to the point where I have to wash my face at least 3 times per day)
Sleepy all of the time (I went to bed at 8:00 last night, my normal bedtime is around 11 or so)
and the MOST noticeable to me....
Depression (I could sit and cry a river if given the chance!)

It's that TOM, but I have NEVER had depression this bad (excluding post-partum)

BTW....Lost another pound this morning....but I'm so depressed, I'm not even happy about THAT.
  #125   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 14:56

and if someone EVEN suggest that I might be pregnant (which my DD & DH have been doing)..I'll...I'll...I'll.....I'll take away their pork skins!!
  #126   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 17:36

Progress:

Beach are you taking vitamins? You know even though we are eating healthy, we are not getting all we need. Usually depression is a "zinc" deficent. Little cracks on the corner of your mouth is B-complex. If you are sleepy all the time, I would look back to what you just ate. Some foods will cause that and you just have to see what it is affecting you. Everyone is able to have milk on this diet, but my blood sugar is sensitive to that and will spike with just a small amount in a cup of coffee. (Took me awhile to find that one.) Also I can't eat WW flour for some reason, but I can eat WW bread. Keep a food diary and note how you feel 30 min to 1 hour after eating to see what is causing your problems. I am glad you posted your problems. Anyone else have any ideas? Hope you feel better. Linda
  #127   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 17:43

Thanks for the info Linda,

No *bowing head* I haven't been taking any multivitamins. They make me really queasy, and if I take them at night, they keep me up. I'll do a search to see what foods are rich in zinc.

Thanks again,
~Beach~
  #128   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 06:40

BF:

Linda: Are you also a photographer? I love taking pictures. Took one photography class. Fell in love with the whole thing. Then I got a digital camera. I'm in heaven. I can take pics till my hearts content and then come home and play with them on the computer. The only drawback is it's time consuming. But DH loves to fish. I enjoy it but not for hours on end. I put down the fishing poles and pick up the camera. That keeps me occupied for hours.

Beachdream: The acne and oily skin are probably from too much fat. I get the same thing. When I'm getting zits regularly I just back down the fat a bit and it seems to stop. The feeling tired probably is from not getting all your vitamins. And depression: that could be related or nonrelated.

I can sympathize with the depression. Struggled for MANY years - crying jags, anger outbursts, and constantly feeling beside myself. For me it was hormone related. Praise God I had a hysterectomy on Feb this year and I feel like a complete new person. Now I'm working on getting all the weight off that went along with the depression!!!

I'm happy to report I went down another pound today. And that was after having fruit - a fresh pear yesterday and today. But I also did not snack at night for the last 2 nights. I also went to the women's ministry meeting at church and did not eat at all. I had dinnner before going to the meeting.
  #129   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 13:20
Fit and Happy

I'm sorry, Beach . I also felt out of sorts for the first week or two after I started Induction. I also suffer from depression. I just stuck it out and after the 3rd week, I felt much better.
  #130   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 15:04

Progress:

Randi I am just an amature photo bug. I have some good Nikon equipment collecting dust in the closet & only shoot with my digital now. I was asking about the software because I want to do some "old" photo reconstruction for my genealogy. I have played around with that, but I know I can do MUCH better.

Well we went to the Carolina Boat Show in Raleigh today. I have never been on a boat before (only ski boats on a lake), so it was a real learning experience. The heat index was 100 inside the building with no air conditioning. James got so hot, I was really concerned about him. We only stayed just over an hour...bout all we could stand. Then we went to K&W in Cameron Village to eat. I was good....I had fish, broccoli, & cabbage. James & I both went to school in Raleigh 30 years ago. It has all changed so much. Then we came home. Happy to get back to Lumberton and get my shoes off!
Happy Friday! Linda
  #131   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 16:25

BF:

Linda: Your from Lumberton?-- DH and I used to work with Baptist Children's Homes of NC. Our home office was near there. Many of the folks employed by or getting services are from Lumberton. In fact one of "our" boys was from Lumberton.

I do have a program that I have used for reconstruction. It takes some getting used to, and I don't have anything to compare it to (whether it's good or not so good). It's MICROSOFT PICTURE IT! PICTURE. There is "clone painting". It's very easy and if you take your time. You can do a good job. I redid a picture from the 60s of me and the siblings. It had gotten scratched and beat up over the years. It's much improved now. Also touched up a pic of my nephew who has a lot of acne. I did wonders for that picture.

Seems to me the software came bundled with my computer. So it probably isn't that much as a stand alone software.
  #132   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 20:43
Fit and Happy

Randi, how is your dh's job going? Let me know!
  #133   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 11:23

BF:

HI Kristy: thanks for asking. His job is going quite well. He did not take the one in Newton. He's working a few miles from home on Hwy 127.

It's a physical job and I think he likes that. However, even though he wears a little cotton masks he's having trouble with sinus infections from the sawdust. I think we're going to find that it may become a very big problem.

Time will tell....

How are you doing?
  #134   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 18:03
Fit and Happy

I hope the sawdust won't bother him too much. Tat would be really annoying!

I'm doing well. 1 pound until my mini-goal of 30 pounds! I have had a good couple of losing weeks.
  #135   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 01:10

BF:

Help...I've fallen and I can't get up. I feel like such a failure, like an alcoholic who's been on a three-day drunk. I feel terrible and yet I don't know what I'm going to do about it.