Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 20:15
Fit and Happy

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

Hi Randi. I love about 20 minutes from you in Newton, NC, about 5 miles from Hickory.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 11:05

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 282/276/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi Kristy,

That's neat... I know right where Newton is. I go to the Dr. is Newton (Newton Med. Associates on Business 321).

How long have you been LCing? I love to hear a bit about who you are, etc., if you're willing to share.

I just re-started Atkins last Monday. Today I was up 1.5 pounds, so I'm at 6 lb loss for my first week. I fell good about it and am trying to be creative so I don't get bored.

My mom just started Atkins today. She lives in MN, where I was born and bred. I've told her about this site.

My DH and I moved to NC last August. We were working together for Baptist Children's Homes of NC till June 30 when we got permanently laid off due to financial cuts. So we are not both unemployed and seeking jobs. That is what allows me extra time on the computer each day.

Our kids are all grown, so we consider ourselves kidless. We are petless, too. We really like our regained freedom to come and go, as needed without any strings. We love God and are both involved in ministry.

We sure love our kids though - ages 24, 22, 20, 18. The oldest two are mine, and younger are his. My son (24) have given us a grandchild, whom I love dearly. She is now 1.5 yrs old. She was born out of wedlock and mom and dad are no longer together. But they are working things out so both spend time with the baby.
DH is from upstate NY, so we have a lot of ties to that state also.
We love NC very much, but we will miss the winters MN/WI are so famous for. They never bothered us, they were so beautiful that you kind of overlooked the cold. And you get used to the cold, just like you learn to get used to the heat here.

I'd love to hear from you when you have time.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 13:18
Fit and Happy

Hi Randi! I know exactly where they med clinic is and have been there before, actually.

I am 33 and have 2 small children...Wyatt is 2 1/2 and Jackson is 1. I am a PT college professor and my husband is a parts/tool store manager and repairman in Charlotte. I have 2 Miniature Dachschunds that are CRAZY LOL!

If you miss the winters, take a trip up to our mountains this winter. Maybe that will help with the withdrawals.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 16:03

BF:

Kristy,

I read your stats. Looks like you and I are close to same weight and goals. How tall are you?

How long have you been LCing?
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 17:50
Fit and Happy

I am only 5'3" tall . I just started Atkins on July 1st.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 11:38

BF:

Hi Kristy,
How is it going this week? I hope that you are doing well, sticking with the program.

Are you sticking with induction at this point, or have you raised your carb limit?

I will basically stay on induction except for those occaisions that I want to splurge. But I"m already finding this week (2nd week of induction) that my weight loss has slowed down a lot. About 1.2 pd per day. And I know from past experience that if I get started on the "sweets" that my weight loss comes to a grinding hault.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 18:57
Fit and Happy

Hi again, Randi. I am going to stay with induction for about 6 months, probably...as long as I need to.

Yes, I'm doing well this week. I am up a pound, though, because it is that TOM . I hope to lose it by tomorrow morning. I haven't cheated once on the plan.

Oh, I almost forgot...my first week, I lost 10 pounds, but my second week, I only lost 2 pounds. The third week, I lost 4.5 pounds, so you will probably lose more next week.

I have found that the Atkins bars slow my weight loss down and I had eaten them every morning the 2nd week, so when I cut them out the 3rd week, I lost more weight. I do eat a Carbolite Chocolate Bar for snack occasionally.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 10:20

BF:

Kristy,

That's interesting about the LC bars. I remember a lot of controversy about them last time if LCed. I have steered clear of them myself.

Well, I'm up .5 pound today and I'm pretty sure it's because I've added some sweets into my diet (pork rinds flavored with cinnamon and sweetener, and mock danish). So I"m going to try to just stick to the basic and refrain from daily use of sweetener.

We'll see how that works.

No matter what I feel terrific. Better than I've been in ages and I have so much energy.

I had a hysterectomy in February and that has made lots of difference also. I'd been sick for years. I'm like a new person now!!!

DH is headed your way today. He has a job interview in Newton. It pays pretty well and the man he talked to was quite interested in getting him out there. It would be great if one of us was working.... :-)
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 11:12
Fit and Happy

Who is his interview with? Let me know!

I'm glad you feel better since the surgery! That is great.

I avoid aspartame alltogether, but HAVE to have my one Diet Rite soda per day!

Last edited by KristyC : Thu, Jul-24-03 at 11:16.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 15:34

BF:

DH isn't handy, but said that the interview went great. The manager liked him and said he'd hire him on the spot, but he was committed to interviewing a couple others. (That still doesn't mean he has the job, but it is promising.)

I saw a job today posted for an admin asst as CVCC. I've got a 4-yr degree and I'd like to do more than be someone's secretary. This sounded a little more advanced than that. So I will anxiously apply :-)

Like you, I kind of like to have one diet soda per day.I'm anxious to see if I start losing again after a couple of days of laying off the sweets. I sure will miss them though.

Do you have any ideas how to overcome the cravings?
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 19:24
Fit and Happy

I hope he gets the position! That would be great.

Good luck with your application as well! Let me know if you get the job.

I don't really crave the Diet Rites or sweets...I just don't like drinking every meal with water.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 19:36

BF:

HI Kristy,

This is the company DH interviewed with.
Prodelin (TriPoint Global)
He says they are on the south side of Newton.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 20:35
Fit and Happy

Hmmm...I haven't heard of them! I should because I've lived here all of my life LOL! Anyway, did the interview go well? I hope so!

I am staying on-plan and doing well. I am stuck at 16.5 pounds down, though, due to that TOM and I hope to lose SOMETHING, ANYTHING tomorrow!

How are you doing?
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 06:20

BF:

I must admit, I'm losing slowly. I had hoped to drop 15 pounds during induction, but that sure isn't going to happen. But that's okay I will have taken off 10-12.

I feel great and seem to have lots of energy. The thing I like the best about Atkins is that I don't have to starve or feel deprived.

I have a very odd ball question for you Kristy. Do you know anything about homlessness in Hickory or the organizations that are serving them?

I worked for a rescue mission prior to our move to NC. I've been praying about what is next for me, and I'm beginning to believe that God's going to have me start a ministry working with the poor and homeless: housing, feeding, educating, etc.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 15:45
Fit and Happy

When are you going "off" of Induction? I will be on it for a while...probably a few months!

I don't know much about the organizations that serve the homeless, but my church in Newton has a soup kitchen right across from it where you can volunteer to prepare food, serve it, contribute canned goods, etc.