Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-18, 04:27

Plan: p:e
Stats: 298/149/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Cheese

I love cheese. In the first year, month 5, I eliminated it but when I added it during maintenance, I put on about 30 pounds without adding any carb foods. The pounds are coming off with cheese abstinence. Additionally, my mental processes are sharpened, mood more stable, and appetite reduced without cheese. Does this happen to others? I dread holiday parties because of cheese platters. The cookies, etc, hold no appeal whatsoever and I only like a sip of wine.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-18, 05:51

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I've found that when eating gouda cheese (red wax, 8oz) I slowly gain weight. This is good to know for me. I also love goat cheese (4oz), and from my n=1, weight-wise, it's a wash. Both are yummy, and I'm liking goat cheese more and more. I usually eat the whole shebang in one fell swoop lol. So there's that.

#3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-18, 06:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

How much are you eating? The Ketogenic plan I follow has strict limits on dairy, cream inc. sour cream is only 2T, cheese hard or cream cheese is only 4 Oz (an ounce is about the size of a small dice) so you can have a bit for flavor but not get into trouble if dairy sensitive or over eat calories at the cheese platter.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-18, 06:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/130/110 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

I cannot maintain or lose weight if I eat cheese. I have to abstain. It took me years and years to finally realise this. However much as I love cheese, I would rather be slim.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-18, 07:51
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Any good cheese is like crack to me... I can NOT control my portions at all. I know this about myself. So I don't buy it.

I do however add 1 T parmesan cheese (you know the one in the plastic container) to my leafy green salads. But I have no desire to eat any more than that on a daily basis and it hasn't affected my weight or my craving for cheese at all... so it's all good.

Wishing everyone much success on your personal journeys to better HEALTH!

Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la!

#6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-18, 09:16

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Another one here who must manage cheese consumption. While I love most cheeses, I realize that it's one food that in the presence of a decent appetite, I will overeat. So, I avoid cheese in my daily eating when I'm preparing my own meals, and occasionally allow a bit in salads when eating at restaurants. In many cases, I'll go months without dairy (cheese), but I know it's going to be around in some form or another.

Holidays are a time when I allow some cheese, but my strategy is to make sure I'm not eating from a cheese platter on an empty stomach. I make sure I've got some protein options such as smoked or cured salmon, meats, and veggies as appetizer options. Cheese is a dangerously delicious food for me, and as long as I approach it in that way, I'm able to maintain consistency.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-18, 23:58

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Cheese and cream, cream cheese, and products with whey & casein in them are like crack for me too, so I don't buy them, but occasionally will have an ounce of cheese at a party outside my home. I can handle ~2T of butter or a bit more ghee per day, which I use in coffee (1 tsp/mug) and on veggies. Any food that calls to me from the fridge or cupboard when I am not even hungry needs to be kept out of the house!

Dr. Fung mentioned that in his practice, ~50% of people have a problem with dairy causing cravings, hunger & weight gain and the other 50% do not. The only way to tell which half you fall in is to go a month with no dairy and see if things improve. After 35 yrs on every possible diet, the only way I have been able to lose those last 15 lbs to reach my ideal weight is when I've gone dairy-free (completely or with 2T/day butter). I never had a problem digesting it - I probably digest it too well - but it does stuff up my sinuses and cause mucus in the throat. 50 yrs ago my HS chorus & glee-club teacher always told us to avoid dairy before concerts. And 45 yrs ago Atkins limited dairy in his program, also because a lot of his patients had problems with it.

This sort of inflammation or immune or hormonal reaction can be fattening, see:
https://idmprogram.com/is-dairy-fattening/
In the quest for lower-fat dairy, companies often add more "milk solids" (dairy proteins) so modern dairy is likely to be more problematic than it was in the 1960s & 70s.

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, Dec-03-18 at 00:09.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-18, 01:00

Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

I am so happy to read these posts as I’ve been bouncing around 1-2 lbs up and down. Today I was just thinking of what I can do to kick start my losing again. I am losing very slowly which is ok, but want to kick it into gear
I love cheese - we kid around and call me the cheese whore. I eat a fair amount - thinking it is ok - but maybe not. Starting tomorrow more cheese. I do very little dairy other than cheese. Mostly mozzarella and Tillamook pepper jack. I finally bought some cottage cheese but don’t even think to eat it. I just tossed it. Thanks for the insight. Hopefully this will kick me into losing more. I’m close to my goal.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-18, 02:54

Plan: mine
Stats: 222/185/143 Male 175
BF:
Progress:

i tried cheese before. it is really natural cheese. it never helps losing weight but also dont make you gain. So when you reach your goal it is no problem to eat. but if you want lose i would stay away.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-18, 06:47

BF:

Thank you for the great replies and support.

Yes I eat too much when I eat cheese, but why? I love eggs and hamburgers but don’t overeat them. I came to low carb because hunger distresses me AND portion control/calorie counting equals hunger for me. If not, I’d be able to eat a cookie or two and enjoy them. Cheese is smilar. Maybe with abstinance of a year or two cheese will lose its allure as sweets have. The abstainers vs moderators thing strikes again. I need to abstain.

I had not seen Dr Fung’s article and this may be my answer:
“Most dairy foods have very low GI score (15-30) but very high Insulin Index scores (90-98).” So the insulin spike may be the appetite trigger.

It is helpful to know 50% of people cannot tolerate dairy. There is probably also a range of intolerance within that 50%.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-18, 08:49

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I know when I cut out cheese it's good for a very quick 3 pound (at least) loss. I've never cut it out long term enough to know its impact otherwise. I know it's inflammatory for me as when I eat a lot of it I have sore joints. I do think if I cut it out permanently, I'd lose quite a bit of weight, but I don't think I'm prepared to make that leap. Of course, I once said that about bread.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-18, 09:53

Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
I know when I cut out cheese it's good for a very quick 3 pound (at least) loss. I've never cut it out long term enough to know its impact otherwise. I know it's inflammatory for me as when I eat a lot of it I have sore joints. I do think if I cut it out permanently, I'd lose quite a bit of weight, but I don't think I'm prepared to make that leap. Of course, I once said that about bread.

Totally agree. I have to totally abstain from cheese. I can do this 💪🏼 I thought I’d never do without bread but I did. Anxious to see if I can kick start loss. Today is day 1 - No Cheese.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-18, 14:22

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Ate 3 oz mozarella last evening.... up 2 lbs!!

Hard to give up dairy as it fills so many jobs lime flavor, fat, carb substitues ie crackers and pizza crust.

Hmmmm bet because I cant give it up I SHOULD give it up.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-18, 14:40

BF:

Could we start a cheese-free support group? I want to do this for the long haul. We conquered bread and cookies. We can do this!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-18, 15:22

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Im in. But like most addicts, control will be shaky. lol