Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-11, 20:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 310/293/140 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default zoloft?

has anyone here been on zoloft? has it stalled and/or caused weight gain? my dr prescribed it because i've been having trouble sleeping...i'm on a pretty low dose, i think, 50mg at bedtime
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-11, 21:21

Plan: LC
Stats: 260/218/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Definitely!
Progress: 38%

Yes, my sister takes zoloft and is losing fine with it. I take paxil, and I am losing too. (Although I think that part of my weight gain may have originally come from Paxil.)

If you are having sleeping issues, there is an older anti-depressant that is sometimes used for sleeping problems because one of its side effects is drowsiness. It's called trazodone. You might want to look into that one. The reason it's used for insomnia is that it isn't addictive like sleeping pills.

Hope this helps.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-11, 19:02
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 310/293/140 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

thanks syrah!
i've only been taking it three days, and i don't like it
it makes me feel really weird, and nauseated....i guess that could be a good thing for weight loss, though lol.
but the werid feeling has got to go....i feel disconnected and not dizzy, but...off...it's hard to describe...i'm calling my dr's office tomorrow morning and asking if i can just stop taking it..i'd rather wake up five or six times a night
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-11, 19:57

Plan: LC
Stats: 260/218/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Definitely!
Progress: 38%

That stunned/disconnected/foggy feeling happens when you first go on the meds. It goes away. Ask your doc about Trazodone. I haven't used it myself, but apparently it works well for insomnia.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-12-11, 15:52

Plan: exercise / atkins / IF
Stats: 315/160/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Less and less!
Progress: 94%

I took Zoloft about twelve years ago and it kick-started a decade of obesity for ME. I am sure there were a number of other factors involved at the time (depression can = overeating = inactivity, etc.) but I remember that being a very specific marker of the time I began to gain the bulk of my weight.

Stay on plan and if you stall or gain you may ask your doc for something else. But do be sure to give it PLENTY of time to work. Lexapro was the only antidepressant I never gained on.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-13-11, 07:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/244.6/128 Female 5 feet 2.34 inches
BF:way too much
Progress: 7%

I was on Zoloft briefly, years ago, and it made me nauseous too. I stopped taking it for that reason. Now I'm on Prozac. I've heard that SSRIs can cause weight gain. About trazodone -- I've taken it & it does work, but it causes (for me) a very dry mouth. Also it has a long "half-life" of drowsy symptoms the next day, although that could prob be managed w/a lower dose.