Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 08:23

Plan: SPII
Stats: 223/223/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:

Beth, I've been wondering how your testing went. Glad to hear you are making progress.

I keep holding on to the statement she makes, "you have to be healthy in order to lose weight", not the other way around.

I'm as heavy as ever. I did find out, from my Hormone testing, that I have Luteal Phase Defect. I have tons of Estrogen during the second half of my cycle. This is a Fertility issue for many women. It prevents the uterine lining from bulking up enough to host a fertilized egg. The inability to carry a child is the worst side effect of this LPD. Since my tubes are tied, I'm not too concerned with this, but the increased Estrogen also supresses my Progesterone, which is very low during the Luteal phase.

So, basically, quitting smoking (and being over 40) made me gain alot of weight very quickly (30 pounds in 6 months) which put me on a downward spiral of estrogen overload, progesterone supression, store more fat, don't lose any fat either, get more estrogen, supress more progesterone, and a year and a half later, I have gained 60 pounds. Add to that the lack of coping skills due to quitting smoking and I'm an emotional wreck.

My sad story but I'm getting better. I'm taking fistfulls of supplements, B-12 injections, Iron, etc. and the change is incredible. I'm no longer light-sensitive, I barely use my asthma inhaler, I have more energy, I'm happier, my whole outlook is just better.

I don't appear to have any food alleriges, although sugar is always a bad choice for all the obvious reason. My doc has me on a Candida diet which eliminates most dairy, fruits and grains. I can eat meat, beans, nuts and unlimited veggies. I don't always stick to it, but it's a work in progress. I keep veggie soup and chili and chicken chili on hand in the fridge. Also, egg salad, tuna salad and loads of veggies. I make alot of stir-fries. My children are young and pizza happens in this house. I don't follow this Candida diet (which is very SP friendly) to the tee.

Beth, I'm taking lots of Adrenal and Neurotransmitter support supplements. It helps. I'm also about to do a Liver/gall bladder cleanse which includes a coffee enema. Yikes. I have "felt toxic" for a long time. At this point, I'm kind of following my nose as to what "sounds right" for me.

It's been a while since I have signed on here, but I have taken with me the "Whole Foods" lessons I have leaned here. I have cut out alot of processed foods, thanks to this site.

I hope the next time I post, it's with the good news that my weight is fianlly coming off. I have 80 pounds to lose. What makes it worse is that I have already lost 60 of it...now it's back on. Bummer. But I did it once, I'll so it again. Anyhow, thank you all for the support of this site. It's helpful.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-08, 13:09

Plan: SB
Stats: 189/189/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi PattyKate - I was wondering how you were doing. It is depressing to feel like you are back where you started, weight-wise. Since my twins were born in '03 I have been unable to lose weight - weight watchers worked before I got pregnant, then after they were born my weight didn't budge on it - same diet, same foods, but not the same metabolism. So I feel I have no choice but to follow the SP and have faith that if I heal my metabolism the weight will come off.

I, too, have Candida and I've tapered off the sugar and am using Candida as an incentive not to cheat. Do you know what happens if you do cheat? How far does it set you back? I was told that if I eat gluten it will take 3 months for my liver to process the damage. I haven't eaten anything purposefully but when I eat in restaurants accidents happen.

Keep in touch!

Beth
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 09:54

Plan: SB
Stats: 189/189/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

Zanyzoe - she still recommends butter but she allows 2% yogurt and milk instead of full-fat. I swear it was the full-fat Greek yogurt that put the weight on me. I had been eating plenty of fat before, but when I added that my weight just shot up. It was delicious but not worth it.

She also recommends more carbohydrates - 125 grams a day or 100 if you have diabetes or insulin resistance. She also says you should go gluten-free for 1 - 3 months.

Good luck!

Beth