Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 11:22

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default I sorta knew this might happen....

I really, really never liked beans much, due to the pastey texture. I really have tried hard to get past this and have eaten them every day since I began three weeks ago. Today, at lunch, I literally gagged on my 3 bean salad. So, I tried putting some a green salad. Couldn't do it either.

Judy help! It's so bad, I'd almost rather eat fish.....(no I wouldn't, kidding on that one!) What am I gonna do???

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 11:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/166/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I don't do south beach so sorry if this is basic ... but why do you have to eat beans? How about beef? Chicken? Pork? Eggs? Beans are actually higher in carbs ... I haven't eaten them in over a year!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 12:00
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I don't follow South Beach either, and certainly don't know the details of the plan, but what about something like hummus instead of three bean salad? Do you like those black beans at all? I've never liked most beans, but I do like black beans and hummus, even though these don't feature in my current eating plan.

What do you think? I wouldn't force yourself to eat something you don't like. I think this is where experienced lc'ers are wise to tweak their plan in a way that makes it work for them.

eta: can you trade the beans you don't like for additional vegetables? There were things I didn't like that were 'on plan' for Atkins, and I just didn't eat them.

I don't know if this is true for South Beach, but when I see lists of foods, acceptable portions and such, I see it as you "can have" rather than, you "must have".

That said, I'd be interested to see what an experienced SB'er has to say.

Good luck, and down with that dreaded three bean salad. Blech! (just kidding around with you).
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 12:08

Plan: South Beachy/ My Plan
Stats: 206/159.0/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
I don't do south beach so sorry if this is basic ... but why do you have to eat beans? How about beef? Chicken? Pork? Eggs? Beans are actually higher in carbs ... I haven't eaten them in over a year!

Beans are a good form of lean protein and fiber.
We do not count carbs on South Beach, something I do struggle with still.... but we aren't supposed to.
It is suggested that we eat beans because they have nutrients.
Hummus is a nice way to get the beans in.
You don't necessarily have to eat them daily...
Not sure what you'd substitute in, Judy would be more of a help with that.

Quote:
Beans and other legumes are encouraged on the South Beach Diet (and for good nutrition in general) as a good source of fiber, resistant starch, and other nutrients. Other than non-starchy vegetables, they are one of the least glycemic sources of carbohydrates, because the starch is either slowly absorbed or resistant. 1/3-1/2 cup servings are recommended.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/so...eanslegumes.htm
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 12:08

BF:

Yes...SB calls for two 1/3 to 1/2 cups servings every day. I dealt with them at first, because they do level my hypoglycemia and allow me to work out longer. Plus, my endocrinolgist suggested to me that as a Hashimoto's patient, she wanted me to have more carbs as they speed up the metabolism.

Cit - as you know, I did Atkin's to the letter last year and couldn't lose the last 10 pounds, so in frustration, kind of gave up on reducing last year. My new endo says Atkin's doesn't work as well for hypothyroid patients, that I needed to put in some fuel to "speed things up." Not sugar or anything processed, but something that would turn to glucose but in a very controlled, measured dose.

Sybil - unfortunately I found that extra protein converted to glucose rather easily. I am insulin resistant, and this could be why. Therefore, I have had to limit protein and calories. On the up side, I have lost 6 pounds in less than three weeks this year on SB. I am hoping that this plan will work for me to get 12 more pounds off. It's hard when you don't have much to lose AND you have a thyroid issue.

Last edited by aeroangie : Wed, Jan-20-10 at 12:15.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 12:11
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Beans are legumes, and they have lechtins (anti-nutrients). Plus, the fiber will eliminate a lot of the supposed nutrients in them.

If you don't like beans, certainly do not eat them, especially when on SB you seem like you have much better choices for protein.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 12:17

BF:

Klowcarb - VLC not as good for hypothyroid people. Hopefully, it is something you won't have to find out!!!!

Also, extra protein converts to glucose. This is a scientific fact! The more keto adapted you are, the more this will happen. So, if you think your brain and body isn't getting glucose, think again. If it is made into glucose by the liver, it's a sugar even if what you had was an extra 3 ounces of steak!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 12:17

Plan: South Beachy/ My Plan
Stats: 206/159.0/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Beans are legumes, and they have lechtins (anti-nutrients). Plus, the fiber will eliminate a lot of the supposed nutrients in them.

If you don't like beans, certainly do not eat them, especially when on SB you seem like you have much better choices for protein.

I don't agree.

I don't think they have to be consumed daily but they are good for you and a good way to get protein and fiber in without all the fat.
Yes we are allowed a good amount of LEAN protein on SB but that is limited as well, we are not supposed to be eating mounds of meat, start with 4oz a meal and go back for more if need be.

As I mentioned, Judy will be able to make suggestions as to what to substitue in better than I could...
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 12:21
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroangie
Cit - as you know, I did Atkin's to the letter last year and couldn't lose the last 10 pounds, so in frustration, kind of gave up on reducing last year. My new endo says Atkin's doesn't work as well for hypothyroid patients, that I needed to put in some fuel to "speed things up." Not sugar or anything processed, but something that would turn to glucose but in a very controlled, measured dose.

I wasn't suggesting Atkins I'm not really 'on' Atkins anymore myself. I was just using that as an example, the idea that if there was something I didn't particularly like, I skipped it.

That said though, this thyroid thing means that you probably *do* need a slightly higher carb eating plan, and SB is a very good choice. You've done really well on it!

Good luck with the bean conundrum. Maybe there's something else you can have instead.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 12:29

BF:

I thank you non South Beacher's for your interest, but I am not doing Atkin's or VLC. I am trying a different approach. I want to lose the weight this year. With Atkin's or VLC, as much as I liked the plan, I was spinning my wheels not understanding that extra protein was being converted to glucose. Now, I am understanding that having the glucose (in a form like beans) cause my body to burn that fuel very quickly and easily during my workouts which speeds my metabolism up. These molecules are expended first (as we all know about carbs = quick energy) so these molecules won't go into storage like extra protein "by conversion" would.

Thanks Cit! I knew what you meant!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 14:30
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I don't think that SB meant if you hate beans, you still had to force them down gagging all the way. Beans are just another option within the eating program.

Why would you eat something that you hate? Life is too short.

JMO

Lisa
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 14:49
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
I don't think that SB meant if you hate beans, you still had to force them down gagging all the way. Beans are just another option within the eating program.

Why would you eat something that you hate? Life is too short.

JMO

Lisa

ITA with Lisa!!
If you gag on them, don't eat them!
I know that you tried to make split pea soup and that it was horrible...but I don't know how you made it...I know mine is excellent!!
Another way to get this category in is to use red lentils in a basic veggie soup and then run a hand blender through the whole thing. You do not taste the lentils at all and they thicken up the soup very nicely.

Sara suggested hummus? I do eat it all the time. stuffed in celery a lot too.
and just for the record, I am not a big bean fan either....I hate 3 bean salad. chick peas are nice thrown into a salad though.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 15:14
Think Pink

Plan: ♥Calorie Counting
Stats: 265/195/175 Female 5' 10"
BF: a few
Progress: 78%

Hi aero --- I'm not a bean fan either but I'm addicted to humus now!! I resisted a bit but I bought it and love it in celery - on cuke slices. There are a TON of variations of flavors too that are really really great. Give it a try maybe?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 15:48
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

I hope you find what works for you! I eat ground beef because I love it. Sure, on ZC I can have cream, but I don't like cream and don't have to. SB seems to give you a lot of options, so eat the foods you like as long as you stick to your plan.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 15:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
It is suggested that we eat beans because they have nutrients.

They also contain a lot of lectins and phytates that keep you from absorbing those nutrients. However, if you eat them fermented that should take care of some of the anti-nutrients... however, if you gag on regular beans... you might just hurl on Natto. I hear it is an acquired taste.

I must say though... it can be kind of hard for me to pass up hummus.