Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 12:27

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Today's Richard & Judy Show

Did anyone watch Richard & Judy's show on Channel 4 today? They interviewed a lady called Val Rogers, who has had a body lift operation - see below. Apparently, she said that she lost the weight by following an Atkins-related low carb diet - but didn't actually say which one it was.

The programme which follows Val's operation is to be shown this evening on the Discovery Health Channel. Perhaps her 'diet' will be mentioned more there.

Quote:
TRASH CAN OF SKIN
Val Rogers is a remarkable woman with a remarkable story: 5 years ago Val was in a car crash which rendered her immobile and triggered a growth hormone imbalance, over a two year period she went from a healthy active swimming coach to a morbidly obese 37 ½ stone woman fighting for her life. She was determined not to give up and made a do or die decision to diet- over two years she lost over 22 stone and claimed back her life. However, she was left with unbearable excess skin which she has now had removed in a pioneering and very dangerous 'total body lift' operation. In total she has had 6 stone of skin removed enough to fill a 'trash can' or stretch over 6 dining tables. Val will be joining Richard & Judy to talk about her ordeal and joining her will be plastic surgeon Alex Karidis, who operated on Val.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 14:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/202/140 Female 5ft 2
BF:
Progress: 0%

that poor woman!
Wow makes you gratefull for your health really, her friends and family must be so proud of her.
I only saw the first bit of the programme cos me hubbie wanted to watch Weakest Link on other side...which was crap they were more numptyish than I am!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 15:35

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes I saw it. I thought she was very articulate. I admired her attitude. She said , near as I remember " it was a diet parallel to Atkins - protein, meat,but lots of vegetables"
R & J looked most impressed.. not their usual attitude to Atkins
Sounds ok when expressed properly doesnt it ?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 01:52

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Well done to that women. Mind you what an appalling thing to happen and I just can't imagine ballooning to that size.

Did you watch the Discovery programme last night Demi? Anything more to report?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 03:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/161.2/146 Female 5ft 6in
BF:yep, sure have !!
Progress: 82%

I too watched it on Richard & Judy. She was a very inspiring lady. They showed a couple of quick clips of the show that was due to be shown on Discovery Health that night, and it was unbeleiveable the amount of skin that she had removed !!

I too thought Richard and Judy seemed to be really impressed by the womans achievement, although at the begininng of the show they did say that she had lost the weight on a 'contraversial' diet hmmm.....

Really wanted to watch the programe later that night but was such a light weight ( if you pardon the pun!) and I fell asleep at 9.30pm!

Hopefully it will be shown again soon, DH tend to repeat there programmes on a regular basis !

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 03:22

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

wow missed this completly - but scary thought - but also just goes to show that 1) there are always people worse off then you and 2) you can achieve anything fi you really want it.

Not sure I want too many details about the skin removal thing, not usually sqeamish but this might be a tad early
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 04:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/153/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Talking about different diets, and being squeamish, has anyone seen the wierd 'Gay cannibal' trial being conducted in Germany at the moment - I am not to say much here as it is really grim but suffice it to say, garlic, salt and pepper were involved...
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 04:20

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

oooew that has set my imagination running in places I don't want it to go
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 12:25
Lost the Plot

Plan: Charles Clark
Stats: 285/285/217 Male 72 inch
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default 2 More showings this month

If anyone wants to see the repeats on the Discovery Health Channel there are 2 showings on Thurs 11th Dec at 10pm and on Mon 22nd Dev at 10pm according to my TV guide.

Watched most of the program ( did F/F over some of the opp scene ) and found it interesting.

Her diet was not mention very much, only during the introduction few minutes.

The voiceover said that in her first year of dieting she lost only 14lbs and feeling suicidal she visited a respected London Nutritionist, where she embarked on a controversial program similar to the Atkins diet.

Whilst cooking Egg & Bacon she said that since going on this program she had lost over 300lbs in 2 years, and made some comments about the publics misconceptions about this way of eating.

Steve