Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-11, 21:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/193/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default What to eat with Metformin at night?

So I'm back on Atkins (the only way I've ever been able to lose weight) and I'm in my first weeks of Induction and I've recently been put on Metformin at night to help with my insulin resistance. So my doc told me to eat peanut butter crackers with it at night so my sugar would stay steady and not bottom out over night... so obviously, peanut butter crackers are not my friend. So anyone got any idea what I can take with it that will keep my sugar steady overnight but not spike my sugar up so high it knocks me out of induction?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-11, 22:03
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

A protein snack such as smoked turkey roll-ups or a fat snack such as 1 oz of Kerry Gold Butter divided on 2 GG Scandanavian crispbreads.

(That's what I would go....but that's just me)

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 07:20
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I just take the metformin after I finish dinner. No problems.

Lee
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-11, 09:13

Plan: KETO
Stats: 154/141/125 Female 168
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
I just take the metformin after I finish dinner. No problems.

Lee

What time would that be? I have the same issue with Metformin. You've asked me in a different thread if I was on slow release metformin. Unfortunately, it's not available in Europe :-(

Is it better to take the 2nd dose of Met around 8/9pm rather than 5/6pm?

Why is it necessary to take it with food? What if you take it on an empty stomach?

To keep it on topic (~parkswife): I would not recommend cheese/crackers (Atkins induction rules would be breached). How about a few thin pieces of bacon? Or a hard-boiled egg? Or s/f jello with coconut oil?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-11, 10:03
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplicit_ef
What time would that be? I have the same issue with Metformin. You've asked me in a different thread if I was on slow release metformin. Unfortunately, it's not available in Europe :-(

Is it better to take the 2nd dose of Met around 8/9pm rather than 5/6pm?

Why is it necessary to take it with food? What if you take it on an empty stomach?

To keep it on topic (~parkswife): I would not recommend cheese/crackers (Atkins induction rules would be breached). How about a few thin pieces of bacon? Or a hard-boiled egg? Or s/f jello with coconut oil?

I eat dinner between 8 and 9, and I take the whole dose at the same time - as recommended. From what I understand, the effects are best when you take it at the last meal/snack pre night time fast.

Where in Europe do you live? I live in the UK and its readily available here - as far as I'm aware, its available widely elsewhere in Europe. My brand is glucophage SR.

Taking it with food helps with adverse side effects. If you take on an empty stomach, you're more likely to get diarrhea.

Lee
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-11, 10:07
NEVER GIVING UP!

Also, just to point out that metformin does not increase insulin, it sensitises the body to insulin over time - therefore should not cause a 'bottoming out' of blood sugars overnight. Unfortunately, many doctors don't understand the actions of the drugs they provide, and get confused between insulin sensitising drugs and insulin boosting drugs.

Lee
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-11, 10:39

Plan: Back to Atkins Induction
Stats: 276/213/146 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
Also, just to point out that metformin does not increase insulin, it sensitises the body to insulin over time - therefore should not cause a 'bottoming out' of blood sugars overnight. Unfortunately, many doctors don't understand the actions of the drugs they provide, and get confused between insulin sensitising drugs and insulin boosting drugs.

Lee

This is what I was thinking. I've always taught my patients (I'm an RN) that glucophage does not cause hypoglycemia. You do need to take it with food, but that's more for the gi effects (stomach discomfort, possibly diarrhea), not for the blood sugar effects. Most of my patients take it twice daily, so with breakfast and dinner, or if daily they just pick which meal to take it with.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-11, 06:00

Plan: Atkins-ish :)
Stats: 365/243/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 61%

You don't have to worry about your sugar "bottoming out" on Metformin. The reason it is suggested to be taken with food is that it can cause some serious nausea when taken on an empty stomach. I took it for about six months but the um, other gastric side effects started to interfere with my classes/work so I had to come off of it. I always had a boiled egg or a lunch meat/cheese roll up before bed.