Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 22:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/210/185
BF:
Progress: 38%
Question Is there a doctor in the house?

Hello all. I am happy to say that I have lost 10lbs while on the Atkins diet and I hope to loose 15 to 20 more pounds... Well, anyway I have a question that doesnt have anything to do with the diet but is really bothering me. I dont have anyone else to talk to that has medical knowledge so I thought I would try you all for some assistance. Ever since last night I have been having a pain in my chest, it feels like my diaphram because everytime I inhale and exhale, right at near the maximum of each rep I have a sharp pain. I dont think it is an infection because I have not been coughing at all. Also, I havent worked out in like 5 days so a chest strain is not an option. It just hurts to breath in and out and I think it might be getting worse. I took some Acetaminophen pills (4 so far at 500mgs each in the span of 4 hours) and the pain has dulled somewhat. Before I took the pain killers, it was very hard to even move my neck because the pain was so bad.... I dont have health insurance because I am from the Bahamas going to school here in Florida and I dont want to go to the hospital now to get an x-ray because I dont have the money. Tomorrow at 10am the student health center on campus opens and I will be able to go there and I am hoping that this is all just caused by stress and the pain will be almost gone tomorrow. What do you think is wrong? Should I be alarmed? It hurts to lie down but I can probably go to sleep... Thanks for any help guys.

Graham
by the way, I am 21 years old, 6'1" at 215lbs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 23:06
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 158/141/135
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'm sorry you're uncomfortable 'collegeguy'. I'm not one for advice but I sure recomend seeing a doctor. Even though it costs it's not worth risking your health if it is something serious.
I hope you feel better soon.

- tskako
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 23:11

BF:

Thanks tskako.

Graham
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 01:42

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default hi graham

Although our stats are on opposite ends of the spectrum, I have experienced these types of pains. Sometimes my ribcage is so painful, I can't breath. This has not happened since about June. Since my mother is an rn and my dad a cardiologist, I ask them for a lot of advice, and on this they say, well, if it goes away, don't worry.
I hate their advice. If it does not go away by morning, go to the student health center. The worst thing that can happen is they find nothing wrong, and you get more tests.
I do not think, however, that this is due to your new way of eating. I may be wrong, everyone detoxes differently, but I think it's safe to say, it is not from low carbing.
Please do not take this as medical advice. This is simply my opinion, and humble as it is.
Let us know what happens!
Regards,
Brenda
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 03:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Graham,

Yes, definitely not diet related. But, there are a number of things it could be ... muscle strain, not due to exercise but due to poor posture, sleeping in a bad position, over-reaching with your arms/shoulders .. lifting or reaching with a heavy weight . Also, it could very well be an infection ... a virus etc could cause inflammation of the pleura, which is the lining surrounding the lungs. So, you won't cough because there's no secretions, but the inflammation can be very painful, just as you say, with breathing, especially at maximal expansion.

I'm sure the clinic will get to the root of the problem. In the meantime, an over-the-counter drug such as ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil etc) or Aleve (anaprox) might provide you better pain relief than tylenol, which doesn't have anti-inflammatory properties like the others.

All the best, and I hope you're feeling better soon.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 22:36

BF:

Thanks Doreen... I went to the student health center today and it turns out I have costochondritis which:

"Costochondritis is simply inflammation of the rib joints,
and attachments of intercostal muscles to the ribs, due to
persistant "bracing" of the intercostal muscles. So far,
the only known cause of this persistant tension of the
intercostal muscles is chronic stress-effect storage in
the hypothalamus."

So, I am on 800mgs of Ibuprophen and hopefully I can do something about the stress in my life.... thank you all!!!

Graham
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 10:55

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 220/203/186 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I've had that, college guy. Can be painful, I know. I used the homoeopathic remedy Bryonia and it did the trick in a week or so. I didn't know what caused it but that makes a lot of sense!

Hope you feel better soon,

Last Chance