Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 00:09
Registered Member

Plan: Please advise fast w.loss
Stats: 297/280/16 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Are there any Zero Carbers in the UK on here?

If so will you give me a plan, I bet its very basic just red meat and eggs but would like to know more.

I am struggling to find the zero carb section on here but most of it is US anyway from what I saw previously

I am thinking of going carb free for at least a month maybe longer.

That would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 02:25

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:

Meat and Eggs thread
Zero Carb thread
Carnivore Daily Menu thread

You could also check out the Paleolithic sub-forum

I am in the UK and I zero carb. I don't see what difference it makes where in the world you are. Meat is meat!
Most people find they settle down to eating one or two meals per day. What you eat is up to you and your budget. Fatty beef mince is economical, beef steak is not. Pork belly is divine, lamb shoulder is too. There is no need to feel deprived by such a way of eating. Just remember to eat the fatty cuts of meat, not the lean.

Last edited by neo_crone : Sat, Mar-06-10 at 03:13.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 05:02

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

I'm not a Zero carber but from I have read on here the plan seems quite simple.

Either meat and water or meat, eggs and water........... I maybe wrong but that's what I guess that they consume, including plenty of fat.

I guess that Zero Carbing is far more popular in the States than in the UK.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 08:40

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Jamie2007,

Just out of curiosity, why exactly are you interested in going zero carb? Just for the weight loss or because it would be an easy way to eat?

Lowering your carbs below 60g per day can have a negative impact on your production of thyroid hormones, so I hear from an expert on thyroid issues.

It is perfectly possible to lose weight on a low-carb diet, anywhere from 50-100g per day, can produce weight loss in most people, depending on your activity levels.

By adding in a few carbs per day, you get a lot more variety in your food, plus you also have better chances of ensuring that you get a wide variety of minerals and vitamins, too. A zero-carb diet is very low in magnesium, which cannot be a good thing, in my humble opinion.

Here's why:

http://www.magnesiumoel.de/AnwendungMagnesiumSole.php

Don't worry about the German, only the first video featured here is in German, the rest are in English. They are only short but very informative.

amanda
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 16:03

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I have done zero carbs many times to break a stall. I did it in the guise of Stillman's diet which is not just zero carbs but also low fat. If you try this don't forget fish - it adds variety. You'll need a good vitamin and mineral suppliment (or you could get very ill - scurvey) and possibly a fibre suppliment too. It used to make me very constipated!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 04:06
Registered Member

BF:

Well the reason for me asking about this is that I started 1st January weighed myself every week and my weight started at 21st 3 lbs and and now stuck between 20st and 20st 2lb, I am very frustrated and it has been stuck around the 20st mark for a couple of months at least, I am drinking shite loads of water too...

Any suggestions, I am desperate to shed lots by the summer months and 3 months into the new year I think I need to take drastic action.

I have had diet coke binges, milk with tea and sweetener binges and the odd vodka binge but surely I should have lost more, I know we all loose at different times and our bodies are different but it just isnt happening.

Please help!

KR
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 04:29
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_crone
Meat and Eggs thread
Zero Carb thread
Carnivore Daily Menu thread

You could also check out the Paleolithic sub-forum

I am in the UK and I zero carb. I don't see what difference it makes where in the world you are. Meat is meat!
Most people find they settle down to eating one or two meals per day. What you eat is up to you and your budget. Fatty beef mince is economical, beef steak is not. Pork belly is divine, lamb shoulder is too. There is no need to feel deprived by such a way of eating. Just remember to eat the fatty cuts of meat, not the lean.

I suppose the main reason I asked if there was any UK zero carbers is that they the US seem to call there food different things from us, for e.g. mince they call something else - I forget lol!

I am not adverse to having info or help from anywhere in the world though.

Cheers
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 04:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie207
I suppose the main reason I asked if there was any UK zero carbers is that they the US seem to call there food different things from us, for e.g. mince they call something else - I forget lol!

I am not adverse to having info or help from anywhere in the world though.

Cheers

The Americans call what we call "mince" "ground beef". The internet will help with any linguistic problems - just google it!!!

amanda
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 04:52

Plan: dirty carnivore..yeah
Stats: 203/170/160 Female 70inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hi Jamie,

I'm heading towards zero-ish carb...I just want to use up this nice head of organic brocolli before it goes off...it was 2 for one in Sainsbury's. Anyway, yeah have been hovering at 175 180 for about a year now and then had a blow out over xmas (stupid) and then went back to low carb but got sucked in by the flax muffins...or rather I sucked them in. I don't weigh, I measure, but have definitely put on a couple of inches round my middle. Nowhere else luckily. So seemed like the best way to get a handle on it (haha) was to go as low as I could on the carbs. Have been looking around on the sites and there is one called Zeroing in on health (ZIOH). They say raw or very lightly cooked meat, to keep all the vitamins, and water only. No supplements. I think they eat mostly beef. I don't think that I'm planning on being quite so rigid. My coffee with cream stays!
I've also looked at the threads mentioned above. The carnivores daily menu seems good
Yeah and the meat and eggs thread isn't a zero carb thread! I think I just pissed them off....

Last edited by mer23 : Sun, Mar-07-10 at 05:01.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 05:01
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
Hi Jamie2007,

Just out of curiosity, why exactly are you interested in going zero carb? Just for the weight loss or because it would be an easy way to eat?

Lowering your carbs below 60g per day can have a negative impact on your production of thyroid hormones, so I hear from an expert on thyroid issues.

It is perfectly possible to lose weight on a low-carb diet, anywhere from 50-100g per day, can produce weight loss in most people, depending on your activity levels.

By adding in a few carbs per day, you get a lot more variety in your food, plus you also have better chances of ensuring that you get a wide variety of minerals and vitamins, too. A zero-carb diet is very low in magnesium, which cannot be a good thing, in my humble opinion.

Here's why:

http://www.magnesiumoel.de/AnwendungMagnesiumSole.php

Don't worry about the German, only the first video featured here is in German, the rest are in English. They are only short but very informative.

amanda

Thanks Amanda I wasnt aware of this??
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 05:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie207
Well the reason for me asking about this is that I started 1st January weighed myself every week and my weight started at 21st 3 lbs and and now stuck between 20st and 20st 2lb, I am very frustrated and it has been stuck around the 20st mark for a couple of months at least, I am drinking shite loads of water too...

Any suggestions, I am desperate to shed lots by the summer months and 3 months into the new year I think I need to take drastic action.

I have had diet coke binges, milk with tea and sweetener binges and the odd vodka binge but surely I should have lost more, I know we all loose at different times and our bodies are different but it just isnt happening.

Please help!

KR

Hi again,

I understand your frustration - have you had your thyroid levels checked? But check this site called "stopthethyroidmadness" first, because apparently, they often check the wrong thing and say your thyroid is OK when it is not.

For your weight to have gone up to 20 stone, then there must have been something wrong with your metabolism in the first place. A body whose weight-gain mechanisms were working properly wouldn't have let you gain all that fat. You could have a thyroid problem or leptin resistance, or both. Going zero carb might just mess up your metabolism even more, imho, and you would do better doing some research into leptin resistance and the thyroid before you put your body through another piece of torture.

Just my two cents

amanda
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 05:09

BF:

at risk of being argumentative...i don't think lowering your carbs below 60mg is dangerous at all. In fact most people on this forum would argue that it isn't as well, and be able to give you very good reasons why...my science explanations are usually a bit rambly....I understand but not very good at explaining

I also have to say, from my own experience, that we don't all get to 20st because of our glands....overeating is usually the factor. It certainly was in mine.
You have hit a stall Jamie...don't panic!...maybe the carbs have crept in and you're looking for an answer...well me, I'm going with diet before I start freaking out about my hormones!

Last edited by mer23 : Sun, Mar-07-10 at 05:15.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 06:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer23
I also have to say, from my own experience, that we don't all get to 20st because of our glands....overeating is usually the factor.

There have been so-called "over-eating" experiments done on healthy people, some I think are covered in Gary Taubes' book, "The Diet Delusion", where people were "forced" to overeat. They did put on weight, but their weight returned to normal once they stopped overeating.

If overeating was the only thing that caused us to be overweight, then the solution to being overweight would be merely to under-eat (i.e. a low-calorie diet). If it were this easy, we would all be slim. But it isn't that simple, which is why it makes sense to look at your hormones if you are not managing to lose weight in any of the "normal" ways (i.e. by starving yourself or by going on a low-carb diet). There are plenty of people on this forum who have cut their calories and cut their carbs and still find it very difficult to lose.

Simplistic solutions might have the virtue of being simple, but if they don't actually work and might even be harmful in the long run, then all that will happen is more frustration, more metabolic damage and very little weight loss.

Personally, I would stay well clear of the "Zeroing in on health" forum as, from what I hear, it has become more like a religious cult than a forum for educating yourself on nutrition and weight-loss issues.

amanda
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 06:54

BF:

Hi Jamie207,

If you are interested in reading up on the thyroid and leptin, have a look here:

http://nahypothyroidism.org/deiodin...on%20deficiency

amanda
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 08:24

BF:

Amanda....I just think you're putting too much emphasis on glands/ hormones, when Jamie has only been doing this for 2/3 months, and has hit a stall
And I really can't believe that people only get fat because of their glands. I put on weight because I eat too much. simple as.

Sorry Jamie....
Anyway don't lose heart...You have lost some and more will come off. 17 lbs in 2 months is fantastic!!! Just keep on keeping on