Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 19:33
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Jandy, Bonbon made some extremely excellent points.

I know I've struggled and still struggle with carb addiction (not so much now). But I've been morbidly obese my whole life, I've dieted my WHOLE adult life, I've literally lost 100s of pounds on A '72... I think my last count was close to 400 lbs lost since 1978... I'm a pro loser and a pro re-gainer. Cause that's the worse part about an LC WOE, once you stop doing it, you put back the weight rather quickly plus some.

Like Bonbon said, most of us have hit rock bottom and made our way back up, I've hit rock bottom many many times...

We're all here to help and support you in any way we can... hang in there!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 21:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandy01
I am feeling so lost right now. I have been on this emotional roller coaster for a while now due to life circumstances and I can't get off. My eating is definitely affected by it. I just can't seem to find the inner strength to stop eating the foods I know are harming me. I am reading and reading and reading...and I just feel like doing what I know I need to do is too hard to commit to right now, yet I know that if I get my eating habits under control that will help with the stress and negative emotions that I am dealing with. For me, weight loss (while absolutely a desire) is not the number one objective. I just need to stop binge eating and stressing and worrying. I want to feel good. I want to be energetic and optimistic. I want to be in control of my eating habits and emotions. After reading many sites and testimonials etc I know that a low-carb diet can help me yet I just don't know how to commit to it.

Has anyone been here before? What did you do?

Been there. Hope I'm never there again. I haven't read the other responses, so excuse me if I repeat.
For me, I finally had the click moment where I realized that the only thing I can control is my actions, and that includes what I eat.
I always have grab and go foods handy (boiled eggs, nuts, pork rinds) and I always have at least one meal in the frig ready to heat and multiple meals ready in the freezer to heat and eat.
By having what I need available for when I'm tired or feeling weak, I've been able to eat 100% on plan for 573 days.
I did that one day at a time. Sometimes one meal or one choice at a time.

I also realized that I didn't have to control my emotions. They could and have/do come at their own will. But they leave again, regardless of what I eat. But they leave faster and with no extra negative emotions from my poor food choices.

And life's circumstances will come and go too. I can deal with them better when I'm taking care of myself the way I should. It's hard to take care of anyone else when you aren't properly taking care of yourself.

You start by waking up each day (or at every meal if need be) and telling yourself you're staying on plan. And you do again and again until you have nice string of successes behind you. For me, I don't want to start counting with day 1 again, so I keep making that choice.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-14, 12:45

Plan: Unsure
Stats: 165/165/000 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41
We are totally pulling for Jandy. So many of us have struggled and still struggle with food addiction - you are really not alone. And so many of us hit rock bottom and made our way back up. You will too.

Sending a big cyber hug your way...

Thank you Bonbon!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-14, 09:18

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
I am feeling so lost right now. I have been on this emotional roller coaster for a while now due to life circumstances and I can't get off. My eating is definitely affected by it. I just can't seem to find the inner strength to stop eating the foods I know are harming me. I am reading and reading and reading...and I just feel like doing what I know I need to do is too hard to commit to right now, yet I know that if I get my eating habits under control that will help with the stress and negative emotions that I am dealing with. For me, weight loss (while absolutely a desire) is not the number one objective. I just need to stop binge eating and stressing and worrying. I want to feel good. I want to be energetic and optimistic. I want to be in control of my eating habits and emotions. After reading many sites and testimonials etc I know that a low-carb diet can help me yet I just don't know how to commit to it.

Has anyone been here before? What did you do?

Jandy, I do so know exactly what you feel…I've been there so many times. What I'll tell you worked for me….bit by bit….was working a LOT at the mental/emotional side of this weight loss thing. You just need to really know and believe that while a lot in life will cause stress, maybe pain, emotional upset, some of those things you cannot control because the situations come at you full force. However, your eating is absolutely something you have the power to control completely….you CAN keep your eating in line…even if that's the only thing you can control at any given time, just know you can control it and it's precisely that control that may make you feel better about the other stuff. At some point I realized I was throwing everything in my life to the "out of control" gods, and I didn't like that. It feels good to know there's one tiny bit of order in my life. I now know that adversity keeps coming my way, but my food and eating can remain an island of consistency in spite of it.

Meanwhile, a lot of bad eating is habit driven. And you can change habits…you can change bad ones to good ones. I came to realize I had two negative things going on: portion control with foods I liked, and eating junk when I wasn't in the least bit hungry. I have to be mindful at all times, but these two habits were easier to change than I'd originally thought. However, I did come to realize that I will always have to be aware and mindful of what I eat. That's just the way it is, but at least I now understand how to deal with it. Knowledge and understanding about yourself give you power.

I guess I'd suggest a lot of thought and planning….plan what to eat, don't free-wheel it. Know how much you will eat and then know what you just ate at all times. Journal your eating so you can look at it on paper. Weigh yourself daily to keep yourself accountable. A lot of people hate weighing themselves, but I find it useful because it's constant daily feedback about what I've been doing. That scale weight every morning helps me eat as I should the rest of the day. Remember that saying "out of sight, out of mind". That's somewhat true for weight. Knowing your weight each day can be a motivating AND moderating factor in what you eat that day. It's feedback about how food affects your body, too, and helps you know which foods agree with your body and which ones don't so much.

Anyhow, just keep telling yourself that you CAN control this one aspect of your life…because after all, it is you feeding you, no one is making you do anything and it's hogwash that you can't control yourself…if you you can't control what you eat, then you are putting yourself in a helpless position that gives you mental permission to eat the wrong things…..after all, you don't have control. Don't do that! You control every bite that comes in!

Last edited by CMCM : Tue, Sep-16-14 at 09:25.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-21, 17:15

BF:

Quote:
Wow...I am so appreciative to everyone who responded to my cry. It is very hard to be in such a low place and not feel that anyone else understands. When I typed that post I was thinking of just giving up trying. I was almost....almost ready to accept that I was going to binge eat my way to 200 pounds or more.

You have all given me some very practical advice. I am seriously going to think about what everyone has said and find some starting point for getting on the right path. I just keep telling myself that I can't start another year like this. I mean 2015 is almost here and I am stuck in the same place as when 2014 started...and 2013, 2012..... I don't want to do this again. Thank you all so much for sharing! I really mean that. I really do!

WOW!
I came back here to read through my old posts. I did exactly what I said I wouldn't do. I ate my way up to 200 pounds. 7 years later. What I wouldn't give to be 165 pounds now.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-21, 07:51

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
What I wouldn't give to be 165 pounds now.

I am sorry to hear that, Jandy01. Though you are hardly alone.

I know I had to use different low carb plans, get sick, find out how I affects being sick, and endlessly revamp and adjust.

But it is worth it. I think that's where the three minutes of fun always gets repeated, and leads to regrets.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-21, 08:04

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Well, Jandy01, you've come (back) to the right place. Since you were last here, low-carb science and plans have come a ways, and you can find what you need if you keep asking.

Quote:
What I wouldn't give to be 165 pounds now.
Now the thing you must decide is not "what I wouldn't give" but what I wouldn't GIVE UP.

That's a very difficult decision to sustain.

But lots of people are here for you when you want to make it for good.

Best wishes.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-21, 10:04

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

The number of YouTubering MDs supporting low carb methods is staggering.....

Diet Doctors
Dr Berg, CO
Dr. Gundry
Dr. Ken Berry and his nurse wife Nisha, with her own channel

And more doctors.....

The number of low carb recipes on YouTube and blogs is stunning. A few channels:

Cooking keto with Kristie
Keto Twins
HighFalutin'

Again, endless low carb recipes on line......

Maybe the "90day change your habit challenge" is a place to get new habits instilled. You write your own challenge, and do build in a few ooopps days. The latter is very important, Cause it will keep you rolling along a new path rather than quitting after one goof. Get to 90 days and see how well it works.

Helped me stopped pigging out on pizza. 🍕 And becoming happy with just two slices. Years later, two slices is the new norm and full pig out is the rare.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-21, 04:00

BF:

Thank you for the encouragement.

It is amazing how much info is available now about low carb diets!!! My head is spinning after doing some reading. Even though I started this thread many years ago, the title is absolutely fitting today.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-21, 04:00

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

For me, perhaps the most astonishing effect of low carb eating is how it solved my Perpetual Hunger Problem. No more bingeing, furtive food runs, and waking up with a carb hangover that is only a worse version of what I live with every day.

That went away. I realized what it was like to eat food, stop, and then not think about food for hours and hours.

No wonder other people get other stuff done!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-21, 07:10

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I tried several of the low carb programs after discovering Dr Atkins and DANDR. And went back to DANDR.

Low carb count is key. Drops the fat and reduces hunger.

Dr Westmanns program is a stricter version of DANDR. Other programs allow too many carbs too soon to achieve weight loss IMHO. And carnivore is too strict with potential biome changes that require carnivore for life, so better to go with Atkins Introduction as a starting plan.

What ever u decide....you can do this.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-21, 19:14

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hi Jandy -

Not only are you not alone, I could have written what you did! When our emotions take over it is VERY hard to get back to what we want - which is good health.

I've had a very difficult 18 months. Besides the pandemic, I had unexpected surgery with both good & not-so-good results, prescribed a statin which I took for a year with not-so-good results, the loss of my favorite donkey, marriage difficulties, & a return to binging. I hadn't eaten bread for years but was suddenly craving it. Wheat is NOT my friend! My bg was (is) out of control & I gained 10 pounds. I don't dare gain any more - I gave away all my obese clothes a few years ago.

Like in AA, this is one day at a time. Fall down - get up. Every morning start over. Be honest with yourself and others. I've found myself telling people I have an eating disorder, something I was too ashamed of to admit in the past.

As for the food, we're all different. While we're all low-carb, it looks different for each of us. Experiment with types of food, amounts, timing, IF, whatever you want to try. Keep a record - I've kept a food diary for years that also includes my exercise, bg, weight, & side effects. It's a big help to look back at what worked in the past - and at what didn't.

Wishing you the best!
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-21, 15:08

Plan: Atkins, Dr. Westman
Stats: 267/167/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 82%

One day at a time.

Plan one day.... fully plan that one day with breakfast, lunch, dinner and a couple of snacks with foods you really like. Go to the grocery and make sure you have all the ingredients. After that day, plan another, and another.....one day at a time. eventually it will become second nature.