Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 23:33

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jael
My, I wish this were true for me, but it just isn't. After 7 years of lowcarbing and observation, Ketosis = more frequent and heavier periods for me...every 21 days and very heavy. I guess every body reacts differently.

How much fat are you consuming?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 23:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazLaJauna
I think your assumption is correct. It is the release of estrogen when fat is burned that causes all the changes in our cycles. That being said, Ketosis is related. You burn more fat right before your TOM and less during. So the fluctuation can be seen on the ketostix

Something that we must consider is the way Low Carb affects menses, isn't so much with ketosis, as it is with stabilized insulin. Insulin is a hormone and it affects other hormones as it becomes stable. This is where the benefit comes for those women who are treating their PCOS with low carb.

I think that the body will burn more fat if it is fed more fat. I also believe that fat burning is higher if meal frequency is reduced. Why I have come to this resolve? Ketosis is a survival response to prevent starvation.Therefore, consuming more fats ( which is ketogenic ) and eating no more than 2 meals a day...ideally one meal/day ( also ketogenic ) is the way to keep ketosis high during menses. About 3 years ago,my weight would go up 4 days or so before my period, then it would remain high until about 2 weeks following the end of my period. It then would go down but would go back up 4 days before my period. My weightgain was being controlled by my periods. Also, I was becoming peri-menopausal and my body was trying to keep the weight on to keep my periods going. Each period influenced my weight to inch its way up. Then I wised up. I took a gamble and increased my fats. Now my weight is going down. I lost about 36 lbs and I am so close to goal ( of course it bounces up and down ) but it will get there.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-10, 11:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/130/150 Female 5' 1"
BF:Not anymore!
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
How much fat are you consuming?

Plenty! Eggs fried in butter and bacon for breakfast...full fat salad dressing and fatty meat on a salad for lunch...fatty meat and veggies sauteed in oil or butter for dinner...I don't stint on fat.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-10, 11:52

Plan: Atkins with Paleo/Primal
Stats: 194/162/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Also take note, that I do intermittent fasting. Fasting is ketogenic and I consider this a contributing factor.

That's cool, unfortunately I can't skip even one meal or I get low blood sugar. I want to try IF, but it just doesn't work for me.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-10, 14:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinguChick
That's cool, unfortunately I can't skip even one meal or I get low blood sugar. I want to try IF, but it just doesn't work for me.

I am pre-diabetic and IF is what I do on a daily basis to help regulate my blood sugar. My blood sugar stays pretty much normal throughout the day but is at it's highest in the morning. However, I never skip a meal. I just don't eat before 3:00 PM or after 7:00 PM. I had to work my self up to IF...it didn't all of a sudden decide to do IF without allowing my body to adapt. It took several months but it did indeed adjust.

I add a lot of fats to my food as well. But I also include coconut oil or MCT oil in my coffee with cream. I consume extra oil or fat even if I am not having a meal. I also include vitamin D3 supplements which also helpe with regulating blood sugar.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-10, 15:25

Plan: Atkins with Paleo/Primal
Stats: 194/162/159 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
I am pre-diabetic and IF is what I do on a daily basis to help regulate my blood sugar. My blood sugar stays pretty much normal throughout the day but is at it's highest in the morning. However, I never skip a meal. I just don't eat before 3:00 PM or after 7:00 PM. I had to work my self up to IF...it didn't all of a sudden decide to do IF without allowing my body to adapt. It took several months but it did indeed adjust.

I add a lot of fats to my food as well. But I also include coconut oil or MCT oil in my coffee with cream. I consume extra oil or fat even if I am not having a meal. I also include vitamin D3 supplements which also helpe with regulating blood sugar.

Interesting, thanks! Well I did used to have to eat snacks in between meals and before bed, but now I am able to eat just the 3 meals a day. Maybe I will work up to it.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-10, 17:17

BF:

The way I worked up to it was I just began eating breakfast progessively later each day. Roughly, I would eat breakfast at 6:00 A.M. for a couple of days, then I would not eat until after 7:00 A.M., then 10:00 A.M. then 11:00. I was stunned when I went until 12:00 without even thinking of food. Now, I do not eat until after 3:00 P.M.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-10, 17:37

BF:

Dr. Eades blog has given me a better understanding about ketosis and how it affects the body.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...sm-and-ketosis/
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-10, 17:47

BF:

PinguChick, check out this post on hwo this gentleman cured his T2 diabetes with intermittent fasting.

http://shurie.com/lee/writing_defeat_diabetes.htm
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-10, 21:15
Registered Member

Plan: low carb, high fat
Stats: 245/000/147 Female 165cm
BF:yes I have some
Progress: 250%

Quote:
Also take note, that I do intermittent fasting. Fasting is ketogenic and I consider this a contributing factor.

Can you please tell more about the intermittent fasting?
I haven't heard of this before, and would be interested to know if/what you eat/drink during these times and how often it's done?
Also, is there a specific reason for it?

Thanks, and sorry for all the Q!
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 09:56

BF:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...11&page=1&pp=10

This will link you to the IF thread. There are quite a few of us here. I like to think of intermittent fasting just as a way to extend our normal fasts. We all fast, when you think about it. So, instead of ending your fast when you get out of bed, wait. You will see that you can go longer without a meal and there is a good reason why...ketosis. Ketosis is the body's defense mechanism that maintains health of organs, muscle etc. This is why it works so well as a diet aid.

When I first began IF, I dreaded the idea of going all day without eating. At the same time, I didn't want to spend the non-fasting day as an "eating" day. After reading Dr. Eades experiemnt with it, I decided to go for at least 20 hours without eating, then allowing for a 4 hour eating window. This eventually came to be such an easy thing to do. My meals are very low carb, yet hearty and extremely nutritious.

I began IF after gaining back the weight that I originally lost on LC. I kept strict guidelines but the weight returned anyway. I have no intention of quitting my LC lifestyle because it has healed my body of so many things. Plus, the food is great. So then I stumbled onto intermittent fasting. It made so much sense once I cleared my head of the "eat 3 meals a day with in-between snacks" mantra. Modern society, as we know it, has food at it's fingertips.My problem was overfeeding. I ate to often. My gut needed to complete the digestive process which really takes a long time. Our food don't just fly through our gut in 2 hours to make room for another meal.If we eat before digestion nears completion, digestion halts to process new food entering the system. You can think of yourself as allowing the gut to rest in order to work the digestive process. Eating too soon, stresses the digestive system and that is what slows metabolism. Fasting enhances ketosis and works well with a low carb/ketogenic diet.

There is so much to write about this subject but I will end my statement hear so that you can get to reading the thread that I linked here.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 11:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/188/130 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazin77
I make my own chicken strips dipped in mayonaise and roll in my ground almonds or flour when my sister brings to me.

Amazin77

Just as a side note, those chicken strips sound REALLY good! Can you post the recipe?
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 13:22

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 129/129/112 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for all the info on IF and monthly cycles. It helps to explain the change in lower ketone levels.

Last edited by JoAnn.Fit : Sun, Mar-14-10 at 13:27.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-10, 14:18

Plan: Avoid PUFA, sugar & bread
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hello,

48 years old here.
I started Atkins 8 weeks ago (in phase 2 since approximately 4 weeks) and have noticed that twice now my period has started a day earlier than expected, and once now (this time) that the bleeding is a tiny bit heavier than it used to be before.

I suppose it's a beneficial effect from the Atkins diet.
Although I am gradually getting "ripe" for menopause, I suppose I should be happy that my body tells me I am not as far from infertility yet as I had assumed