Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-22, 05:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

And yesterday…. Dr Adele Hite.

Quote:
Friends, yet again, I come to you with a heavy heart, and right on the heels of our other recent devastating loss. Adele Hite, PhD, is probably less well-known to you than Dr. Sarah Hallberg was, but we've lost another low-carb advocate and pioneer. Adele passed away this morning, after battling cancer. 💛

If I recall correctly, Adele worked with Eric Westman in his clinic for a while, learning the nuts & bolts of low carb. (They were also neighbors for a while here in NC -- I think their kids went to the same school!)

Adele worked for Diet Doctor, a site/organization many of you are well familiar with. She did a lot of writing, editing, and research for them, and she completed her PhD in rhetoric just a few years ago. Her thesis was on the US Dietary Guidelines, and how garbage they were! She was also a registered dietitian (RD), so yes, RDs CAN and DO embrace low-carb when they understand the science. (It's almost impossible not to, I think -- once you see it, you can't unsee it.)

Adele was a powerful and reliable voice for low-carb -- she helped promote the power of this way of eating while avoiding sensationalism and over-promising -- something that, sadly, is increasingly rare in our community. Even before studying rhetoric, she knew that words matter. Her blog (https://eathropology.com/) is/was one of my favorites, thanks to her razor-sharp wit and precision sarcasm. Few people did it better -- and she was good at calling us out (the low-carb community) on our nonsense just as much as she called out snake oil and chicanery in other groups. She also shed light on issues of socioeconomic and racial disparity with regard to food security, access to healthcare, etc. Something we don't talk about enough -- but there's a reason we (here at Adapt, and based on Dr. Westman's many years of experience treating patients from every walk of life) try to make keto accessible at any budget and any cooking skill level. You don't need to be a millionaire or shop at the hoity-toity health food store to reverse T2D. Elitism has no place here.

You can learn more about Adele - "DR. HITE!" (I know that meant a lot to her) - here:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/authors/adele-hite

Quote from Amy Berger.

Adele was the Patient Educator in Dr Westman's clinic 2006-2009. I started low carb in 2010 at the clinic, but benefitted from the wisdom that she has shared since. https://www.adelehite.com is her professional page where you can find her complete CV and see the full impact she had low carb education and advocating for socio-economic awareness in dietary guidelines. Her 20 year success story https://www.dietdoctor.com/adele-56...20-years-eating...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-22, 06:58

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Sorry to hear about Adele's passing. She was a clear voice in issues of nutritional health and worked closely with Nina Teicholz in confronting and tackling the issues with the many shortcomings of the Dietary Guidelines. I enjoyed reading whatever she wrote, as it was always well written, well thought out, and to the point. She didn't camp in any particular dietary dogma, and supported the consumption of healthy whole foods. I learned a lot from reading her articles and other publications.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-22, 08:08

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

How very sad. I loved both her intellect and her wit. She did not mince words. I always looked forward to reading anything she wrote. What a sad loss.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-22, 09:31

A tribute page for Dr Adele Hite.
https://www.dreamerandthedreamt.com/
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-22, 07:06

Adding Diet Doctor's tribute to Adele Hite:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/remember...hite-phd-mph-rd
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-22, 13:40

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I first became familiar with Adele through her episode on the Diet Doctor podcast, during which she offered a lot of subtle, thought-provoking ideas on the state of the dietary guidelines, which was the subject of her PhD. I was so impressed that it's one of the very few podcast episodes I've since gone back and listened to again.

Might be time for another listen again one of these days...
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-22, 06:57

A new Video tribute to Adele from all the DietDoctor team.

https://youtu.be/ADeBiKTlYYA
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-22, 06:58

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
How very sad. I loved both her intellect and her wit. She did not mince words. I always looked forward to reading anything she wrote. What a sad loss.

I can't say it any better. Agree whole-heartedly. She will be missed.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-22, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: WFKD
Stats: 291/291/191 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress:
Default So tragic and too soon!

I am heartbroken. I have written a lot on low carb on a mostly forgotten blog and I only WISHED that I could match her razor-sharp wit and the brillance of her writing. She was the Dorothy Parker of nutrition. Her Eathropology blog is still relevant and her unique perspective resonates throughout.

She also had a hand in creating a unique cookbook where the pages were split in thirds and each third was a specifc element for your plate. So you could take the first element from page 14, the second from page 95, and the third from page 46 and have a delightful and healthy meal combo that would be a good meal for anyone doing a lower carb lifestyle. Check it out on Amazon.

She was a unique voice and the world is a little less passionate, witty, and smart because she is no longer with us.

Condolences to her family.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-22, 07:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
I first became familiar with Adele through her episode on the Diet Doctor podcast, during which she offered a lot of subtle, thought-provoking ideas on the state of the dietary guidelines, which was the subject of her PhD. I was so impressed that it's one of the very few podcast episodes I've since gone back and listened to again.

Might be time for another listen again one of these days...

I'm listening right now!