Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-21, 01:49

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Doctors create rival to ‘failing’ Public Health England to boost nation’s health

Not low carb per se, but with Dr Aseem Malhotra's credentials, it will more than likely be on the agenda.

Quote:
Doctors create rival to ‘failing’ Public Health England in bid to boost nation’s health

Public Health Collaboration chair Dr Aseem Malhotra, a cardiologist who co-founded Action on Sugar, said the problem has become so acute that the NHS is no longer able to cope with the demand placed on it due to chronic ill-health

A group of over 200 doctors and other health professionals is launching a rival body to Public Health England, claiming not enough is being done to combat obesity, poor diet, and medical misinformation.

Public Health Collaboration (PHC) said that its “grassroots army” of public, patients and can clean up the current “health and medical misinformation mess” which has contributed to the UK’s obesity epidemic among other long-term issues. The charity’s chair Dr Aseem Malhotra, a London-based cardiologist who co-founded Action on Sugar, said the problem has become so acute that the NHS is no longer able to cope with the demand placed on it due to millions of people suffering long-term chronic ill health.

He told i: “What distinguishes us from other health charities is that we do not take any corporate sponsorship – it is funded by the public, for the public. We are here to clean up and take action against the health and medical misinformation mess that is destroying people’s lives.

“The fact that you have two main industries – food and pharma – that mislead for profit and are the major root of our healthcare crisis putting demand on the NHS to the point where the NHS is broken in my view.

“We want to inform people to make healthy decisions for themselves, but the bigger picture is also understanding the wider determinants of health and taking action to make structural changes to have an impact on population health.”

Last July, the Government unveiled a new package of measures as part of its ‘Better Health’ campaign to help people lose weight, such as a ban on TV and online adverts for food high in fat, sugar and salt before 9pm, and an end of ‘buy one get one free” deals on unhealthy food. However, health campaigners believe it is not enough to reverse Britain’s long-term reputation as “the fat man of Europe”. Almost two-thirds (63 per cent) of adults in England are overweight or living with obesity – and one in three children leave primary school overweight or obese, with obesity-related illnesses costing the NHS £6bn a year.

Last year, the Government announced a new body called the National Institute for Health Protection would replace the work of PHE and other agencies but it has yet to come into being. Officials have said it will not be “fully staffed and up and running” until October.

Dr Malhotra said PHE had failed in its responsibilities to the public, which include making people healthier by promoting healthier lifestyles, and identifying and preparing for future public health challenges. He said PHC members – who include nurses, nutritionists, dieticians and pharmacists – will be lobbying MPs to make changes that move the country towards “a healthier and happier society”.

The group will campaign on issues such as undergraduate and postgraduate medical education on the impact lifestyle changes has to health, regulation and taxation of ultra-processed food, and a ban on the sale of junk food in hospitals.

Dr Malhotra said: “Why is that still going on? Why is 75 per cent of food given in hospitals deemed unhealthy? It’s extraordinary.

“Ultimately our goal is to reverse the obesity epidemic, improve population health, greater transparency when it comes to drug prescriptions and also removing the influence on the pharmaceutical industry over medical guidelines.

“The pharma industry is here to stay, of course, but it has too much influence on medical practice and there isn’t enough independent analysis of data in drug trials. Enough is enough. It’s time for change.”

PHC campaign director Sam Feltham said: “With such an esteemed public health campaigner at the helm, I know we’re in good hands for a healthier future and promoting ethical evidence based medical practice.”

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/doc...-health-1162314
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-21, 03:19

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
“The fact that you have two main industries – food and pharma – that mislead for profit and are the major root of our healthcare crisis putting demand on the NHS to the point where the NHS is broken in my view.

This IS good news.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-21, 09:26

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
The group will campaign on issues such as undergraduate and postgraduate medical education on the impact lifestyle changes has to health, regulation and taxation of ultra-processed food, and a ban on the sale of junk food in hospitals.

Dr Malhotra said: “Why is that still going on? Why is 75 per cent of food given in hospitals deemed unhealthy? It’s extraordinary.

This is a major gap in medical education. A positive first step that should be mirrored in all countries. Waiting . . .

ETA: I wonder how many subsidies are provided to hospitals in the United States and other countries from the offending parties that have a say in food available in hospitals and the education medical professionals receive. In this case, those providing subsidies would likely be the food manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies. It's an acute problem that requires credible supporting research and increased population awareness similar to when tobacco transitioned from a health aid to a killer.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Mon, Aug-23-21 at 09:40.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-21, 11:01

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have mixed feelings because it sounds like this new body wants to use the heavy hand of government to impose what it deems to be "healthy" and I'm very leery of that, regardless of whether I happen to agree with their stance or not.

I'm all for improving education, at all levels, regarding healthy lifestyle and nutrition. I'm definitely all for making drug trials more open and independent from the manufacturers (past a certain stage of development). I don't mind any organization deciding what it will or won't serve -- so if the government doesn't want to sell "junk food" in government-run hospitals, fine. But I do object to them telling non-government hospitals (or others) that they can't. Let them decide.

I object to restrictions and taxes on what they deem to be "unhealthy" food. Just look at the track record of what governments declare to be healthy and unhealthy to see why this is not a good idea.

Promote good, science-tested information in education and promote that education strongly up and down the chain. But let people make their own decisions based on that information.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-21, 08:31

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbahn
I have mixed feelings because it sounds like this new body wants to use the heavy hand of government to impose what it deems to be "healthy" and I'm very leery of that, regardless of whether I happen to agree with their stance or not.

Government already controls businesses that deal with food.
If they do not comply with FDA regulations, they lose their licenses.
Whether it is Weight Watchers or Nutrisystem, "obey or die!"
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-21, 08:11

BF:

Quote:
Promote good, science-tested information in education and promote that education strongly up and down the chain. But let people make their own decisions based on that information.

What would change today? All one needs to do is to examine the history of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans to see how something originally portrayed to represent helpful health information has become coveted by opposing factions who have vested interests in establishing and maintaining the message of food guidelines. It represents the "conch" to those informing others how to eat healthy, but has become so distorted, that it's resulted in wide skepticism. Nutritional education is a great plan. How do we reach the point where valid information is agreed on and made widely available? It's frustrating, particularly for those of us interacting on this forum, as it's safe to say many here are skeptical of standard recommendations and have taken on the burden to find out for ourselves. This is the method I've chosen to avoid the politics of self interest and distortion.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-21, 08:48

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I think one thing we can all agree upon is how "healthy eating" can vary so much among individuals.

Everyone participating on the board, since 2003! to mark when I showed up proves that theorem.

THAT is what everyone needs to know. Guidelines that are not hard and fast rules for everyone to follow. That's going to be tough.

Everyone wants YES/NO and a big label on the cans.

I think an emphasis on "whole foods" and a LOT of help letting people know how they can eat cheap and fast without killing themselves down the line: that's what is going to be really helpful.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-21, 09:30

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I agree that government already controls too much -- and I don't see that changing (unfortunately). In fact, it's going to go the other way. It's a pretty safe bet that once government controls something, they don't give up that control (it has happened, but is very rare). So I'm just not going to support them exerting yet more control even if I should happen to agree that "this time" they are doing the "right thing". First and foremost, if I don't want the heavy hand of government making it harder for me to eat the way that I believe is healthy, then I don't have the right to support using the heavy hand of government to make it harder for others to eat they way they want to (healthy or not). Second, though, there's no guarantee that what I believe is "healthy" is actually correct and we might learn more down the road that might cause significant revision. As we have seen time and time again, there is a very strong inertia to what that heavy hand imposes -- it will continue to impose it long after it has become well established that it is wrong.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-21, 11:40

BF:

Quote:
I agree that government already controls too much -- and I don't see that changing (unfortunately). In fact, it's going to go the other way. It's a pretty safe bet that once government controls something, they don't give up that control (it has happened, but is very rare). So I'm just not going to support them exerting yet more control even if I should happen to agree that "this time" they are doing the "right thing". First and foremost, if I don't want the heavy hand of government making it harder for me to eat the way that I believe is healthy, then I don't have the right to support using the heavy hand of government to make it harder for others to eat they way they want to (healthy or not). Second, though, there's no guarantee that what I believe is "healthy" is actually correct and we might learn more down the road that might cause significant revision. As we have seen time and time again, there is a very strong inertia to what that heavy hand imposes -- it will continue to impose it long after it has become well established that it is wrong.

Good summary of what is already happening today. But it's a mess. Going forward, how does accurate information on healthy eating emerge? Who becomes the primary source people can trust? I don't believe it's the government, and it's certainly not the food and beverage manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies who are the most significant sources for funding food and medical research today. The difficult part is developing information people can trust to achieve good health and to understand the fact that there is no perfect human diet. We are in the midst of the most damaging metabolic health crises in history with astounding costs for medical care; yet, we hear daily from those who claim to have the answer and many are nothing more than opportunists who would like to benefit from this catastrophe or claim ethical issues having nothing to do with human health. Seems to me, it's time to own our responsibilities to craft healthy ways of eating for ourselves and be strident and outspoken when we witness policies that are misinformed and damaging to others' health outcomes.

Demi, good post of a topic that has "touched a nerve" and started an interesting dialog.