Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 15:07
Registered Member

Plan: SBD
Stats: 182/177/135 Female 64"
BF:a ton
Progress: 11%
Cool Add me to your list

Hi everybody, please add me to your list of "members."

I don't really care what you call the Lounge, we all know who we are, but Elders does sound a little geriatric... FWIW, I like the sound of Boomers or 50+ How about The Boomer Brigade or Boomers Neighborhood?

I have just started on this path. I have a lot of reading to catch up with posts from the many fine people in this forum. I am looking forward to getting to know you all better.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 20:09

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 194/184/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Welcome Rian! We don't actually have a 'membership list' yet, but things are really picking up here in the past few days!! I think most people just couldn't find this Lounge. We'll have to get your name suggestions added to the loooong list we are accumulating!! I can understand why they settled for calling this 'Elders Lounge'!! It's tough to find a name everybody likes.

We're a caring, sharing group so holler if you need help!
Nance
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 09:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/229/130 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Wink

hi all,

i guess 50 in November qualifies me as an "elder". LOL Although inside i don't feel much different than a 20 year old. A few years have come and gone since THOSE days. i remember weighing 120 then (5'2") and felt absolutely HUGE!

i'll try to add a picture of me in my "hippie" days but not sure if it will attach correctly.

Take care and Have Fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HIPPIE.JPG (26.5 KB, 16 views)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 08:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/146/140 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

Greetings All
This is the best sub forum and thats due to all us fifty and over and thriving on LC... so who rewally cares what we call our selves. Though I must confess, I didn't drop in here for ages as I thought "elders lounge' was for elders, you 70 -80 or something, I forget that I at 56 am concidered elderly... boo! hiss!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 07:50

Stats: 238/185/150 Female 5 ft.5in.
BF:
Progress: 60%
Talking

HI EVERYONE:
Just a note to say hi to all the new faces! Great to see so many finding their way here.
We are having one hell of a heat wave here...over 100 today and the comming week. I am from the Pacific Northwest and this heat is killing me. Dh found an industrial A.C. at work and his boss is letting him have it...but the catch is no one knows for sure if it works..keep your fingers crossed.
The computer has shut down twice now that it is so hot. Had to get a fan for it...
We have a 2 story Apt. rght under the roof of the building we live in..soooo we can actually fry eggs outside the windows. One good thing I am not hungry and I have no trouble getting the water in.
MADE SOME CHEESE CAKE TO TAKE WITH ME TO DH mothers this weekend...The German love their cake and coffee...will tell them I can not eat sugar or flour ..hope that is enough to keep them at bay.
Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend
tschuss (bye bye in German)
Pattie
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:52

BF:

Oh pattie! Killer weather! Hope you manage to stay cool over there. We haven't forgotten you here, but have wondered if you're okay. Glad to see you're just HOT!

Where from the Pacific Northwest are you from? How does Germany compare to here? My BIL was stationed over there in the 40's and it reminded him of Washington.

Keep in touch Love!
Nance
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 14:07

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

One of my sons is stationed in Spangdahlen AFB, Germany -- and he was complaining about the heat last night -- said that air conditioners were rare (he lives on base!) and windows weren't screened. Mind you, he's from Dallas, TX and should be used to the heat, but he said that this was really getting to him....

Guess I am so used to everything being air-conditioned! Even though we just had a few days at 110F, you were rarely actualy IN the heat -- you went from your car into an air-conditioned building....
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 17:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/172/163 Female 69.5
BF:28.5%/25.3%/23%
Progress: 74%
Question

Where do I sign up????? This is better than AARP, I'm not really sure I want to be art of a huge political group.
But, this might be fun. Much better than some of the menopause forums I've been to. (Altho, minniepauz.com if pretty great, just not a lot of activity on the forum)

LCers seem to be a good bunch of folks.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 18:22

BF:

Hi there mariejoe! Welcome to our rapidly growing group! We are just in the process of getting this sub-forum running to it's fullest capacity. Having the new name is going to help a bunch I think. None of us felt like 'Elders' yet so shied away from coming here! LOL! Hope you enjoy yourself and get the support you came here looking for. It is the nicest bunch of people I have ever come in contact with!! Love 'em all!
Nance
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 10:39
Registered Member

Stats: 218/176/165 Female 5ft 10 in
BF:?
Progress: 79%

Hi all, feel I have a little in common with some of you folk. I am mature and my twins were born in Germany over 40 years ago, so that's two strikes for me. I am just looking for a support group with similar interests. I am past 50 but am a young mid 60.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 18:11

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

Hi, I just got the courage to come here, but it looks like noone has been here for a while. I qualify. I was 63 in Sept. I have been Lo carbing for about 15 mo. on Atkins. I am a veggie lo carber (eat dairy but no eggs or flesh) and I really miss my huge salads and fruits, but I guess you can't have it all. The cheese, cream, and butter is delicious.

I am an RN, for almost 40 yrs. and look forward to retirement so I can do more gardening, meditating, reading, writing, traveling, and having fun.

Hope to meet you all soon. Come visit me in my journal.

Last edited by mem2 : Fri, Oct-17-03 at 18:13.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 16:08
Contributing Member

Stats: 164/148.5/130 Female 5 '
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi there,

I am also a newbie and truly love this site. I started Atkins about 3 1/2 weeks ago ... and needed some support as well as information. Found this site last week and WOW !!! Exactly what I needed . Just learning to navigate around. Meeting wonderful new friends.

I guess I am one of many, over 50, who have started on the wonderful adventure of shaping ourselves, literally! hahahaha