Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-22, 05:28

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

You don't like frozen spinach in smoothies? I buy the triple washed organic stuff so I don't have to wash it and it's dry and just put it in a bag to take up less room in the freezer. (I was putting it on a cookie sheet but found that wasn't necessary) and then grab a big handful for my protein smoothie.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-22, 14:14

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%

Yeah-the frozen spinach is blanched and that changes the flavor to grassy. At least, Trader Joe's is that way. The fresh doesn't have that grassy flavor.
  #93   ^
Old Fri, May-27-22, 08:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Results from DDF Challenge April 2022:

https://optimisingnutrition.com/dat...l-2022-results/
  #94   ^
Old Fri, May-27-22, 09:11

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Nice work everyone! I think next DDF round is June 10th-ish - I'm in
  #95   ^
Old Fri, May-27-22, 10:20

Yup, the next DDF starts Saturday June 11 and a Macro Masterclass starts tomorrow, May 28. I'm going to attempt both again , while my exercise also ramps up June 1st.
  #96   ^
Old Fri, May-27-22, 10:40

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Yup, the next DDF starts Saturday June 11 and a Macro Masterclass starts tomorrow, May 28. I'm going to attempt both again , while my exercise also ramps up June 1st.

Brave Soul! I keep threatening myself to do a Master Class - one day - maybe next one. See you out there J!
  #97   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-22, 15:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm doing my own DDF right now and it is going well. I have lost about 5 more pounds since my first (and only) round. What I'm doing now is trying to manage the blood sugar as much as possible and trim back on the eating. I don't really try to fast or push my hunger too far. Still, even being hungry is an accomplishment.

And this time around, I'm exercising a good amount. Like 30 minutes of aerobic exercise daily, at a minimum. That helps the blood sugar, and if my blood sugar is low, my hunger is low. I also try to eat only a light dinner at night.
  #98   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-22, 16:17

Good news. Did you see this new post that gave timing options for long-term DDF? https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...973#post9429973.

This morning I did a shallow water aerobics class (less intense than deep) and when I got home around 10am,I was hungry. Yup, already 90, below my trigger. Normally I don’t test often, but simply eat within noon to 6pm.
  #99   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-22, 09:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Thanks for highlighting that. I will read it. I do notice that my body gets very resistant to weight loss if I continue on for too long. There is always a point where I will be stuck and even weeks of persevering won't budge it.
Perhaps now that I am exercising quite a lot that won't happen, but I'm not holding my breath.
  #100   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-22, 03:00

When I restarted my weight loss program two years ago, I pulled "all the levers" higher protein, lower fat, follow simple Dr Ted Naiman guidelines….but the first program I did was DDF, and I think the simple DDF as explained above, is what makes maintenance so easy. I haven’t lost more pounds this summer even though I’m doing more cardio, but I don’t gain either! EDIT: Today is last day of the Macro challenge…I actually lost 6/10 of a pound over this month …about an extra glass of water with electrolytes yesterday.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/succeede...-higher-satiety

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jul-31-22 at 04:31.
  #101   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-22, 05:48

Until recently, if you wanted to trial the DDF program you were given an excel spreadsheet. Much as I spreadsheets (not) Marty is now offering a free two week trial of the DDF app. So you can try out the protocol without joining a challenge. You still get the free DDF101 manual, which is now almost 200 pages, and a guide to everything about blood glucose you'll ever want to know.

Today, one of the first to use the 2 week trial wrote about his amazing results! Seriously!
Quote:
Initial trigger 88 mg/dL (4.9 mmol/L)
Weight loss – 9.8 lbs (4.5 kg)
Body fat change – 2.0% Waist – 2.25 inches (5.7 cm)
Water – 1.4%
Glucose – 9 mg/dL (0.5 mmol/L)
These remarkable results are not from starving myself, radically changing what I ate, or exercising like a mad fiend. You can’t out-exercise a bad diet!

A short summary today on the blog:
https://optimisingnutrition.com/tom...ial-experience/
  #102   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-22, 05:26

The July challenge results are posted, and also two impressive success stories. Christine concludes "I am 55, post-menopausal, and hypothyroid… there is hope!"

"Christine’s charts from her journey through our Data-Driven Fasting challenge and our Macros Masterclass and Micros Masterclass tell quite a story! "

https://optimisingnutrition.com/con...one/#more-35646

16th DDF Challenge results. https://optimisingnutrition.com/dat...y-2022-results/

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Sep-08-22 at 05:33.
  #103   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-23, 08:13

Every few months, Marty Kendall updates the data driven fasting manual with answers to more frequently asked questions about BG, or deeper explanations ofusing a simple glucometer as a fuel gauge. Another new one posted today to start off New Year’s 2023, and in advance of this year’s first data driven fasting challenge, which starts on Saturday, January 7.

This now 210 page! Free Book has more than the basics of DDF, but explanations of hunger, satiety, oxidative priority, the impact of various nutrients like protein, vitamins and minerals on satiety and the whys and reactions of BG to food, exercise, etc.

Quote:
The detail in this manual will unpack all the hows and whys around using your glucose to guide what and when to eat. But if you want to get started now, you can:
• access the Data-Driven Fasting app here to find your personalised glucose trigger today and start the hunger training process. The app is totally free now, go to: App.DataDrivenFasting.com or find link on website.
• download the complete Data-Driven Fasting Manual to read offline,
https://www.datadrivenfasting.com/book and
• join our Data-Driven Fasting 30-Day Challenge, where we will guide you through the process in a structured manner in a supportive community environment and answer any questions you might have.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/dat...ting-challenge/

Why We Created Data-Driven Fasting

Intermittent fasting has helped many people lose weight, lower their blood glucose, and reverse type 2 diabetes without the hassle of tracking their food.
But, sadly, for many others, fasting does not provide the results they had hoped for.
When we get ravenously hungry, we usually reach for energy-dense, nutrient-poor foods that quickly undo all the benefits of our sacrifice and deprivation.
To ensure long-term success, you need to find the minimum effective dose of fasting without breaking. You need to learn to stretch your body just a little, but not so much that it rebels, and you find yourself trapped in an endless restrict-binge-restrict cycle, as many sadly do.
As with most things, more isn't always better when it comes to fasting. You only need just enough

You can also join the Optimising Nutrition Community for free, for Data Driven Fasting, and two Nutritional Programs to determine the Macro and Micro nutrients best for you. https://members.optimisingnutrition...m_source=manual

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-05-23 at 09:10.
  #104   ^
Old Mon, May-15-23, 17:42

In another step to make Data Driven Fasting easy to use, Marty has written a new short guide with pictures.
A good simple introduction, shorter than the 210 page DDF book.
A new DDF Challenge starts Saturday.

Especially helpful, the graphs why eating a very low carb and higher fat diet does not lower the total BG "area under the curve".

Quote:
While your blood sugars during the day are mostly related to what you eat, your waking blood sugars result from your body fat levels and when you ate last. In other words, it’s an indicator of how much excess energy is stored in your system

Quote:
Although stable and lower blood glucose levels are a positive marker of metabolic health, merely treating the symptom (i.e. elevated blood sugar) rather than addressing the cause (i.e. insulin resistance, energy toxicity and excess body fat) doesn’t help.

Quote:
Fat Keeps Your Glucose Elevated for Longer
Many people find it tempting to simply swap carbs for fat to stabilise their glucose, but that’s not necessarily optimal. While fat doesn’t raise glucose or insulin much in the short term, dietary fat will keep your glucose elevated longer. Unfortunately, you’ll have to wait longer to reach your trigger and eat again.

How to Use Your Glucose as a Fuel Gauge (A Pictorial Guide)

https://optimisingnutrition.com/how...ide/#more-41077

Quote:
Contents
How to Use the Insights from Your Glucose
Your Personalised Glucose Trigger
Find Your Carbohydrate Tolerance
Fat Keeps Your Glucose Elevated for Longer
Carbs + Fat Together
Protein Forward Nutrient Dense Meals
Protein at Breakfast
Light Exercise
Intense Exercise
Rescue Carbohydrates
Intra-Day Carb Cycling
Optimal Eating Patterns for Weight Loss
Next Steps

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, May-16-23 at 03:20.
  #105   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-23, 02:32

How to Use Your Blood Glucose as a Fuel Gauge

Marty Kendall has thoroughly revised the DDF Manual incorporating the new BG graphs introduced from the Pictorial Guide explained in the previous post. In typical Marty style, to make the explanation easier to understand, the guide is now 231 pages!
Mostly due to slipping in these new charts! but this book is the best explanation of how to use your own BG as a Fuel Gauge to lose Weight. The next DDF Challenge starts October 7 but the app and membership in a support group is free if you want to try it on your own.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/dat...ing/#more-36149

Quote:

Say goodbye to generic fasting routines and hello to a personalized, cutting-edge approach. Traditional fasting methods might dictate fixed eating windows like 18:6, 20:4, or alternate-day fasting, but they lack the essential ingredient—YOU! Without tailoring your fasting regimen to your unique metabolism and daily schedule, it’s easy to dismiss your body’s healthy hunger cues. This often results in less-than-optimal food choices and uncontrollable overeating once the fasting period ends. Data-Driven Fasting, on the other hand, flips the script. We harness the power of your blood glucose levels to provide invaluable insights that ensure you’re nourishing your body precisely when it needs it, not a minute sooner or later.

Instead of suppressing your natural appetite signals, Data-Driven Fasting educates you on how to decode and trust these signals. As you embark on this journey, you’ll find that your appetite naturally aligns with your body’s needs, creating a harmonious relationship where you give your body exactly what it craves at the perfect moment. Get ready to transform the way you eat, nurture your body, and unlock your full potential with Data-Driven Fasting! that taps into your body’s real-time fuel gauge!

Quote:
Quote: While your blood sugars during the day are mostly related to what you eat, your waking blood sugars result from your body fat levels and when you ate last. In other words, it’s an indicator of how much excess energy is stored in your system

Quote: Although stable and lower blood glucose levels are a positive marker of metabolic health, merely treating the symptom (i.e. elevated blood sugar) rather than addressing the cause (i.e. insulin resistance, energy toxicity and excess body fat) doesn’t help.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Sep-10-23 at 02:38.