Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 12:11
There and Back Again

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Low-Carb Could Spell Next Fast-Food Fight

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...bs_dc&printer=1

Low-Carb Could Spell Next Fast-Food Fight

By Deborah Cohen

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Jeff Endervelt's interest in low-carbohydrate foods began as a personal quest when he experimented with the Atkins diet and spin-offs that helped him shed 20 pounds.

As chief executive of Atlanta-based Blimpie International Inc., Endervelt saw a market worth pursuing when his customers started asking for submarine sandwiches on something other than white bread.

A sandwich shop called Blimpie's might seem an unlikely destination for dieters. It is now also the only national restaurant operator testing a separate menu targeted at the low-carb, high-protein eating craze.

The Blimpie Carb Counter Menu, launched this month in parts of New York's Long Island, offers 6-inch subs with fillings like roast beef and cheddar with wasabi dressing on seven-grain bread. The sandwiches, each with only 7 to 8.5 net carb grams and lacking the white flour eschewed by low-carb adherents, can be paired with a SoBe drink and Crunchers chips from Atkins Nutritionals Inc.

While only a small minority of Americans are following low-carb, high-protein style diets, experts say interest is growing exponentially. Dedicated fare is cropping up in corner delis and unlikely spots like mass retailer Wal-Mart Stores Inc. . Last week H.J. Heinz Co. even introduced a low-carb ketchup made with less sugar.

"I didn't do a formal study, but I think I've known enough about the Atkins diet and the South Beach diet to know this is a wave that's coming," Endervelt told Reuters. "This is a diet that's been around for a long time. But it has caught on."

Endervelt expects to take his low-carb menu items into some 1,650 Blimpie stores nationally.

Similar experiments are turning up in California, a leader in eating trends. The private Irvine-based In-N-Out Burger caters to low-carb dieters with a bunless burger wrapped in lettuce.

Italian eatery Pasta Pomodoro Inc., another closely held West Coast chain, is selling a variety of dishes made with whole wheat or low-gluten, high-protein pastas. Wendy's International Inc., the No. 3 U.S. hamburger chain, owns 25 percent of the company.

"Every significant restaurant chain is deeply aware of the low-carb demand of its customers," said Dean Rotbart, executive editor of LowCarbiz, an Internet newsletter. But the trend is still in its infancy, he said, and bigger chains have been reluctant to join in.

Instead, in the face of rising U.S. obesity rates and threats of litigation blaming the food industry, big restaurant companies have focused on returning to more traditional health-oriented offerings such as the meal-size salads that have helped reverse McDonald's Corp.'s sagging U.S. sales in recent months.

And Blimpie's larger privately held rival Subway Restaurants has seen great success with the ad campaign featuring Jared Fogle, who said he lost 225 pounds on a steady diet of low-fat sandwiches.

UNTESTED WATERS

McDonald's, the largest restaurant company, this week tested the low-carb waters. It said it will help customers customize burgers and other foods on its fast-food menu within three dieting styles -- low fat, low calorie, and yes, low carb. The plan, dubbed "Real Life Choices," is being introduced in parts of the greater New York area in January.

The hesitation to roll out dedicated low-carb menu offerings may stem from concern about the safety of those diets. Many nutritionists still conform to the standard dietary guidelines outlined in the U.S. Department of Agriculture (news - web sites)'s food pyramid, whose base is carbohydrates. They question the stricter phases of diets like Atkins, which recommend ample quantities of protein in the form of red meat, butter and other fatty foods, in lieu of breads and starches.

"There are bits and pieces of truth in these high-protein, low-carb diets," said Samantha Heller, a nutritionist with New York University Medical Center. "It's very difficult for people to distill the difference between the truth and twist."

To date, only about 1 percent of the total U.S. population is following a low-carb diet, according to The NPD Group, a market research firm that tracks food trends.

Little research exists on the size of the market for low-carb foods. Matthew Wiant, chief marketing officer of Atkins Nutritionals Inc., estimates the amount of such products sold at retail, excluding restaurants, is roughly $2 billion, a tiny slice of America's food budget.

Wendy's, while a stakeholder in Pasta Pomodoro, said it has no immediate plans to introduce low-carb items into the menu at its mainstay stores.

"It's certainly a trend that we're well aware of," said company spokesman Bob Bertini.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 14:29

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Fast food is in large part responsible for the obesity epidemic, I certainly don't count on them to make things better. They are only trying to hang on to their market share.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 16:32

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

That's true Angeline....but as long as they do it right, who cares!

I'd like to be able to have some decent choices on going out for lunch. Right now I pretty much have to bring my own food....or get a ceasar salad somewhere....and even that can be a challenge!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 16:42
Registered Member

Stats: 213/194/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 58%

The way I look at it, McDonalds double cheese burgers- hold the catsup, toss the bun is the ultimate fast-food LC way to go. Regionally, in the south where I live, Micky-D's is offering a double cheese burger for 99 cents. I'll pick up three or four of them and away I go.

According to their site, the burger, sans condiments, are zero carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 20:13
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Getting a bunless burger at Mickey Ds? Dreck! One thing the Atkins diet has taught me is that hamburger is not made from the tasty parts of the cow.

If I had to go with a bunless burger, I'd rather try Whataburger (Texas chain that will add sliced jalapenos) or at least Burger King for that flame-broiled goodness.

My personal preference for fast LC food would be Mexican. One of our local chains has rotisserie chicken meals that are pretty good -- hold the refried beans and rice. I'd even prefer a Taco Bell Supreme Gordita (eat the good stuff, leave the flatbread) to a nekkid burger patty.

Last edited by Dean4Prez : Sun, Oct-12-03 at 20:14.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 21:02

Plan: CALP/Schwarzbien
Stats: 212.5/192/172.5 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 51%

I disagree that fast food is in anyway responsible for the current epidemic of obesity! I just read an article in the Sunday paper that detailed some of the latest lawsuits against fast food places. I think it is a bad idea to blame the food suppliers for an individuals obesity. People have so many choices, they can eat anywhere and nobody is forcing anyone to eat these high fat, high carb, high calorie mega meals.

I did not gain weight by eating fast food, in fact I hardly ever ate it. But I gained weight! I gained over time by eating a well balanced diet! A person can gain 10 pounds a year by only eating about 100 calories a day over what they need. Keep it up for 10 years and you have 100 extra pounds. Combine this with the prevalence of sedentary lifestyles and you end up with a lot of obese people who do not really eat that much more than they need to.

What scares me is that people want to blame the restaurants for their problems. That is just wrong. The article I read had a plaintiff who was suing because of the high fat content in the meals. So what if somebody else sues for a high carb content? Next should we sue the bakery for providing high fat/high carb birthday cakes? The restaurants should provide choices, but the bottom line is that they are going to offer the items that people want. It is simple supply and demand. It is up to the consumer to balance their diets, not the food providers.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 21:34

BF:

Many people will disagree with you regarding where culpability lies. Whereas I disagree about lawsuits I still place part of the responsibility on the fast food industry. The fast food industry cannot in any way be compared to the corner bakery who is passively offering their wares to consumers. They have been much more insidious than that. Anyway I encourage you to read this article that I first saw here on this board. Here follows a small excerpt: It also makes reference to two interesting books: Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation and Greg Critser's In Fat Land: How Americans Became the Fattest People in the World,

Quote:
Nestle attacked the institutional causes of obesity in the recently published Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health.

The misrepresentation of serving sizes on food labels, she claims, permits the American prepared-food industry to fill stores with portions equivalent to 3,800 calories per person per day when most people only need about 1,800.

More insidiously, the industry's reliance on cheap ingredients -- empty starches, high-calorie sugars and hydrogenated fats beloved for their ability to extend the shelf life of baked goods for months, even years -- in processed, packaged "convenience foods" tends to encourage greater consumption. Unlike a turkey sandwich on multigrain bread, which can provide hours of energy, Nestle explains, foods loaded with processed starches and sugars provide few nutrients and trigger a quick burst of insulin and energy that subsides within an hour or so, leaving us hungry even after ingesting thousands of calories

here here

Last edited by Angeline : Sun, Oct-12-03 at 21:35.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 19:15

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:

A restraunt that serves French Fries, Eggs, Hamburgers, and Salads...with nothing hidden in them...should not be blamed. McDonald's OTOH puts Dextrose (Pixie Stick Sugar -- Powdered Glucose) on their French Fries; Cooks their Eggs in Hydrogenated Oils; Rubs Grill Seasoning which Contains Hydrogenated Oils on their Burgers; and Shoots their Grilled Chicken (same chicken that's in their salad) up with a dozen various sugars, flavor enhancers, and hydrogenated oils...as well as a shitload of chemical preservatives.

Think of it like a Pharmacy...If a pharmacist gives you Aspirin (Salad) that's fine and not bad for you. OTOH, If he laces it with Crack (Sugar), Heroine (Hydrogenated Oils) and LSD (Flavor Enhancing Chemicals)...and doesn't tell you...For the French Fries example, lets look at a Drug Dealer. Your dealer sells you pure marijuana, you know what your getting into (fried brain cells and munchies.) But, if he laces it with Crack (Dextrose)...you have no clue what you are really consuming. Who'd even for a second think that French Fries would contain Sugar; that their "healthy" salad in fact contains dozens of sugars, hydrogenated oils, flavor enhancers (MSG), preservatives, and other deleterious substances; and that their Burger is coated with Hydrogenated Oils, which BTW some fast food joints claim is a "flavor enhancer." Sorry if I don't care for the flavor of clogged arteries !!!

Quote:
McDonalds' Grilled Chicken [and any salad that contains it] Contains a 12% of a solution of --

water, salt, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, spices, whey, maltodextrin, natural flavors (vegetable source), dextrose, monosodium glutamate, partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils, Romano cheese, parmesan cheese powder, xanthan gum, dehydrated cheddar cheese, autolyzed yeast extract, extractives of paprika (color), potassium sorbate (preservative), citric acid, silicon dioxide [added to prevent caking], partially hydrogenated soybean oil, partially hydrogenated corn oil, citric acid (preservative), and sodium phosphates

McDonalds' Bacon is cured with --

water, salt, smoke flavoring, sodium phosphate, gum acacia, maltodextrin, hydrolyzed corn protein, natural flavor (vegetable source), autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed corn, wheat, and soy protein, modified cornstarch, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate, natural flavor (vegetable oil), salt, succinic acid, xanthan gum, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 10:19

BF:

Not only that cc48510, but the Fast Food industry also uses all sort of marketing tricks to increase their marketing share with the end result of making you eat more. Just look at supersizing. That practice, in itself, is responsible for portion sizes increasing to monstreous porportions across the board, from the small corner restaurant to a glass of softdrink (big gulp), to how much the average homemaker puts on the plate she serves to her family. And don't even get me started on the marketing aimed at children. It's almost as bad as the Joe Cool line of commercials aimed at getting children to start smoking.

I'm willing to give the industry benefit of the doubt in that they weren't purposely trying to make people fat. That it was just the unintended result from trying to increase their sales. But unintended or not, that's what they did.

Last edited by Angeline : Tue, Oct-14-03 at 10:20.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 11:18

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3

Quote:
It's almost as bad as the Joe Cool line of commercials aimed at getting children to start smoking.

To me it's worse! Regardless of what the hidden agenda behind Joe Camel....at least the ads weren't openly marketing to the kids. The fast food industry, on the other hand is.

Take a look at the KFC Kid's LapTop lunch. It contains chicken! But it's fried. It also contains applesauce, a side (mac & cheese is prob the most popular?) fruit roll-ups and a small drink. Now....isn't that nutritious?

Yumm...think of all that sugar! All those transfats!

The chicken tenders at Burger King have 13 g of carbs.....without dipping sauce!

How about marketing salads to the kids? HOw about "real" fruit?

Yes, the fast food industry is marketing "healthy" food that aren't. There should be regulations on what they can say is "healthy".
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 13:31

Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%

CindySue48, what's even worse is the garbage our schools are feeding our kids. What ever happened to the real food we used to be served?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 13:43

Plan: general low carbing
Stats: 225/200/150 Female 5 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

mle_ii - I am a "lunch lady" at an elementary and you would love the food bar I prepare daily for the kids. Two fresh fruits, or one that is in light syrup, carrots and celery, wheat bread, peanut butter (and jelly), lettuce blend, cheddar cheese, grated, croutons and a vegetable (green beans, cooked carrots, sometimes corn). This is all in addition to the main entree - which are not deep fried, always baked. For a sub. for the main entree we offer yogurt as a protein. We only have low=fat milk - no pop or any sugared fruit juices. The only juice we have is for breakfast and that is apple, orange, or grape.
We have an exceptional variety of foods for the kids. But you should see what they bring from home!!! Cans of soda, packages of donuts, cookies, chips, candy - oh, and sometimes a nice sandwich. I think most of these kids pack their own lunches.
Let's face it - proper choices begin at home when a child is very small. Offer them choices of good veggies and fruit, not cookies and chips for snacks. I am so thankful that both of my daughters are teaching their kids better eating habits than I taught them - hopefully they will continue those habits through adulthood, and not end up like their Grannie and fighting obesity in their 50's!!!!!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 13:44

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

DD highschool cafeteria:

BIG plate of french fries $3
Chicken Wrap $4
Burger $6

Guess what the kids eat the most?

The fries of course!

I remember in my highschool we had the standard weekly menu, meatloaf monday, macaroni tuesday etc...
We had no junk food well not much anyway.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 14:03

Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%

shari kay, I wish you were in charge at my daughter's elementry school. This isn't even close to what is served there.

Here's the menu for this week.

Monday - Turkey fries
Tuesday - Corn Dog
Wednesday - Spaghetti
Thursday - Quesadilla and a Cookie treat
Friday - Teriyaki Dippers

While I agree that some parents send junk food with them to school in that case the parent had the choice as to what they eat. But if my child wanted hot lunch or we didn't have time that morning to make it for her she would get garbage (as far as I am concerned).

Not getting on you or your schools case, but I would say that you are in the minority rather than the majority as far as school lunch is concerned.

My daughters favorite there is some dish of frito's with chili on top. Yikes!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 14:12

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Yup! Chilitoes -- may favorite in highschool -- and that was 30 years ago! It's been bad for a long time. We had soda machines and fast food. There was a hot plate but it was usually something like macaroni and cheese or a super-carb-filled meatloaf with mashed potatoes and corn or other carb poison. We have a long long time of bad food choices to undo in our schools and other institutions -- including hospitals, they're no better than schools.