Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-19, 08:56

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Personally, I believe a lot of the anti-keto press secretly comes from the giant grain producing/distribution corporations and is disguised as scientific literature.

I know Archer Daniels Midland Company has been caught doing this quite a few times. In addition, they even lobbied for high sugar price supports so they could sell corn syrup to the soft drink companies at a lesser price.

I don't care if I'm in ketosis or not, I've never used the dip stick and don't plan on it, I've lost 50 pounds and that's good enough for me.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-19, 09:11

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

RightNow -- Sorry to cut so much of your quote - it's pure gold, BTW, but I wanted to reply to just a couple things in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
~snip~

It has less variety than 'eat anything in the grocery store' that is true. However 80% of the crap in the grocery store is not food, it's ingestible entertainment.

So true. I see so many people buying carts full of sodas, sports drinks, energy drinks, multiple gallons of sweetened tea and/or punch, several types of chips, cookies, cakes, and donuts. Even the ones who are eating "healthy" are still buying all those drinks, lots of bread, a ridiculous amount of fruit, a few Smart Ones, or Lean Cuisines... and a couple of donuts ("Moderation in all things", right? ). It's never been more obvious that the whole idea of what passes for food these days is nothing more than ingestible entertainment.

Quote:

~snip~

"News flash: eating high-sugar foods on a low-sugar diet means you can barely eat any of them without maxing out your sugar metric." Also recently discovered, if you sleep during daylight hours, you have fewer daylight hours remaining to enjoy while awake. Scientists are confounded.

Sadly, I'm sure they'd see no relationship between the first statement about eating sugar on a low sugar diet and sleeping during the day cutting into your awake daylight hours.
Quote:

~snip~

I used to say that nutritionist was what the pretty but stupid people from high school became. Then I met a few people who did that who actually were properly informed about it and quite intelligent. This is one of those careers, like law and politics, where 95% of them are giving the other 5% a bad name.
We've had an on-staff, in-house nutritionist at work for... maybe 2 years now? She's very young, pretty, sweet, and energetic... and I know better than to even begin to discuss nutrition with her, because she's all about low fat, high fiber, with lots of fruit, and honey as the ultimate healthy sweetener. From what I've seen, she gives every single customer she works with the exact same diet to follow.

So far her high carb diet is working out adequately for her, although I don't think how much her face breaks out (far more than when she first started working there, even though the break-outs should be lessening, since she's a couple years older now) says a whole lot for how great her low fat, high carb, and (based on what he buys, apparently vegetarian, possibly even vegan) diet really works for her. I think at her age, and with her high energy level, she is still able to run off a lot of the carbs, but I don't think she's even hit her 30's yet, so just based on her body type, I think it's going to be a very different story in 20 years.

However, I would never bother to talk to her about nutrition, since I know better than to think she'd consider butter, eggs, full fat meat, and full fat cheese to be good nutritional choices, and probably hates the fact that the "guiding stars" system the store uses to rate how healthy a food is has eased their limits on cholesterol content, allowing things like chicken livers and whole eggs to be given stars.

To give you an idea of how twisted that rating system is though, they have a little over 23 pages of potato chips and 7-1/2 pages of tortilla chips that are considered to be healthy, probably because they're cooked in canola or soy oil, and due to the thickness of the chips, are proportionately slightly lower in sodium than some other brands.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-19, 10:41

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

As in the case of your young nutritionist: when our reality feedback isn't what we were told it would be, we would rather believe we are "doing it rong" than that this giant system is essentially messed up.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-19, 10:48

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
As in the case of your young nutritionist: when our reality feedback isn't what we were told it would be, we would rather believe we are "doing it rong" than that this giant system is essentially messed up.

Tho there is such a thing as doing it wrong - I did low carb wrong for the first few years. It took a while - & a lot of reading - to figure out that yes, there is such a thing as too much protein (at least for diabetics - don't know about the rest of you) & simply too much food, no matter how low carb it is.

And actually doing it right - not just thinking about it - has taken even longer! I guess I'm a slow learner.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-19, 11:18

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Tho there is such a thing as doing it wrong - I did low carb wrong for the first few years. It took a while - & a lot of reading - to figure out that yes, there is such a thing as too much protein (at least for diabetics - don't know about the rest of you) & simply too much food, no matter how low carb it is.
Dr. Donald Layman has done some great presentations on what is truly the right amount of protein and what's too much. "Too much" is way higher than what most of us think (strictly from the standpoint of when will it negatively affect you). But there's enough variety among us that we all have somewhat different personal set points for the "right" amount, which is a lot lower than the "too much." I'm sure that all depends on our actual lean body mass vs. total weight, age, how much we exercise, personal quirk, and maybe even things like how long we've been fat-adapted and therefore how well our metabolism is running.

I think a lot of people on popular keto (following those macros) are under eating protein. But I also think it's pretty easy to find your own personal set point. If you ever have one of those days where you ate a ton of protein and then just felt kind-of gross the next day, well, there it is.

Anyway, I don't think you were doing low carb wrong, when what you were doing might have been exactly right for someone else--you just needed to find your own personal tweaks to make it work for you.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-19, 15:38

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Personally, I believe a lot of the anti-keto press secretly comes from the giant grain producing/distribution corporations and is disguised as scientific literature.

Given the keto firestorms in the media lately, I would say it's very likely some anti-keto funding is behind some of this. Hey, it's gotten to Jillian Michaels, and it's obviously made her nervous.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-19, 17:13

BF:

If there was one diet that was best for everyone, there would only need to be one diet book.

Some people burn off carbs. Some burn off carbs when young and then gain in middle age. Some like me inflate with carbs. It's in my family, I'm the only one under 300 pounds (parents and siblings).

There are companies who are paid to present the viewpoint of a media campaign purchaser that come up with scientific sounding studies that do nothing but promote a product.

An example from the past was the guys who told us that doctors prescribe smoking to calm nervousness and that there was no proof that cigarettes are anything but healthy.

They conduct biased pseudo-scientific studies to be published in newspapers and magazines. Print media loves free copy. They take out ads. And if they can't prove otherwise, they sow the seeds of doubt to their competition.

Those companies and their clones are still around. They still are out here to influence public opinion. It's sometimes difficult to tell if we are reading real news, or an ad disguised as news. (I don't call it fake news, that minimizes is, it's out and out fraud).

Bob
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-19, 02:20

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

i guess there's ketones now and then. never checked.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-19, 10:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

I hope that long before the time she starts to show true problems assimilating all the carbs, there will be big changes in nutrition knowledge. I mean - did anyone really think a decade ago that they'd EVER reverse their thinking on the cholesterol in egg yolks, and stop recommending only eating the egg whites? I sure didn't - and yet, they've suddenly decided that the cholesterol in eggs don't raise your cholesterol, so go ahead and enjoy eggs.

I saw an article the other day that said there's been more research on red meat vs white meat - it seems they both affect cholesterol levels the same, that white meat raises cholesterol levels as much as red meat. So they were recommending eating the lowest fat meat possible , whether red or white, but at least they aren't differentiating between the two any more. That's doesn't seem significant, and could easily be used to promote a vegetarian/vegan agenda, but if they've suddenly realized there's no difference between the cholesterol effects of the two, I figure even though it's only a sideways step, it's still a tiny baby step in the right direction, assuming that most people ignore the vegetarian angle, decide they've had more than enough bonelesss skinless chicken breasts to last a lifetime, and instead go for the beef they've been craving for decades. It'll take more "shocking" results similar to the research that finally declared egg yolks to be healthy to finally get to the point that they realize cholesterol is good for you, and recommend eating fatty cuts instead of the lowest fat meat possible.

Whether this will happen before cute and energetic nutritionist starts packing on the pounds is the question. But then it only took about 10 years from the time that the lipid hypothesis was introduced to the general population until low fat high carb became accepted as the "healthy" way to eat (after thousands of years of eating butter, cream, full fat cheese, and lard), so it's entirely possible for change to happen within the next decade or three.

One can only hope.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-19, 10:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
But then it only took about 10 years from the time that the lipid hypothesis was introduced to the general population until low fat high carb became accepted as the "healthy" way to eat (after thousands of years of eating butter, cream, full fat cheese, and lard), so it's entirely possible for change to happen within the next decade or three.

One can only hope.

Switching to more carbs was easy because bread tastes GOOD! Especially with butter. Being a baker that was something I didn't want to give up, but I had to if I didn't want to die from diabetes-related health problems.

Many low-carb foods taste great, but they aren't addictive like wheat & sugar.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-19, 11:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Switching to more carbs was easy because bread tastes GOOD! Especially with butter. <...snip...>

Bread with butter -- potatoes with oil, bacon grease, sour cream or butter -- grits with cheese or butter -- popcorn with butter -- crackers with cheese -- I could go on. In many cases, the starch is essentially a vehicle for the fat

Bob
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-19, 18:02

BF:

Quote:
Bread with butter -- potatoes with oil, bacon grease, sour cream or butter -- grits with cheese or butter -- popcorn with butter -- crackers with cheese -- I could go on. In many cases, the starch is essentially a vehicle for the fat

Bob

In almost EVERY case, the starch is nothing but a vehicle for the fat! But people are so used to eating them together that they're convinced that starchy component is as tasty as the fatty component.

Except now, they don't want you to eat the fat, so in keeping with a low fat diet, many people are eating dry bagels, crackers and popcorn with nothing on them, and plain baked potatoes.

If you go LC long enough, you get used to eating the fatty foods without the starch. Every time I accidentally get a bit of starch mixed in with my real food, I want to spit it out because it tastes awful. Makes me wonder how I ever ate it before, but I'm pretty sure it was really only because of the fatty stuff served on it making it palatable.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-19, 07:52

BF:

I've been LC since the 70s, and do well eating fat without the starch. However, I occasionally miss popcorn with butter or potatoes fried in bacon grease. Not enough to break the diet, but mostly if I smell those foods it reminds me of a former joy.

And I can't imagine eating bread or popcorn without the fat. In the grocery store aisle I saw something called an "Air Fryer". What? An "Air Fryer". It says "Fry without the fat!"

The definition of fry: cook (food) in hot fat or oil, typically in a shallow pan.

I looked it up, it's merely a convection oven. You bake the food in there, you don't fry it.

But you can fool most of the people most of the time.

People are suckers for that salesperson in their living room (The TV). And it helps to remember, that's the reason it's there.

Bob

Bob
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-19, 08:25

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I actually have an air "fryer," and so far it's really great. Maybe it is really a very small convection oven, but my "real" convection oven was never able to get a great char on my pork tenderloin as the air fryer does, and keep it moist in the center. A friend of mine does a whole roaster chicken in it, and she says it comes out juicy and delicious.

I went to a vegan doc for a while (he was an integrative doc, so he helped you to wellness rather than focusing on curing diseases). Anyway, I saw a family picture with 2 kids. They looked emaciated and had dark circles under their eyes. It was so obvious to me, why wasn't it obvious to the doctor?
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-19, 08:38

BF:

Quote:
IHowever, I occasionally miss popcorn with butter or potatoes fried in bacon grease. Not enough to break the diet, but mostly if I smell those foods it reminds me of a former joy.
Bob

Me too, but I always fried the potatoes in butter. When I first went LC my husband didn't get any potatoes because I was afraid I'd fall face first into them when the wonderful smell got to me. I'm finally to the point where I can cook potatoes for him once in a while, but popcorn & potato chips are still way out of bounds for me.