Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 04:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%
Default How does this work??

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/h...-type-2-6472646

Lifestyle Health Smoking
Passive smoking increases type 2 diabetes risk, says worrying new research

Scientists, who say living with a smoker means you’re 22% more like to develop the condition, blame tobacco for 28 million cases worldwide

Second-hand cigarette smoke: You could make your loved ones ill if you light up

Living with a smoker may cause type 2 diabetes, even if you don’t light up yourself, according to new research.

The disease has been linked to breathing tobacco fumes and passive smoking after data was pooled from 88 previous studies involving almost six million people.

While the evidence pointing to smoking as a risk factor for cancer, along with respiratory and heart disease, is overwhelming, the case for type 2 diabetes has been slower to build.

But the new study says 28 million cases of diabetes worldwide could be down to smoking.

The risk decreases over time for smokers who quit.

Professor Frank Hu, of Huazhong University, Wuhan, China, said: “Cigarette smoking should be considered as a key modifiable risk factor for diabetes.

“Public health efforts to reduce smoking will have a substantial impact on the global burden of type 2 diabetes.”

PAA nurse giving a patient a diabetes testEpidemic: The research sheds new light on the increase in diabetes
The study published in The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology found smoking increased the risk of diabetes by 37%, compared with those who have never lit up.

For those who quit, it’s still 14% and for passive smokers a worrying 22%.

Among current smokers the increased risk of developing the condition was 21% for light, 34% for modern and 57% for heavy smokers.

Prof An Pan added: “Despite the global efforts to combat the tobacco epidemic, cigarette use remains the leading cause of mortality and morbidity worldwide.

“This study underscores the importance of implementing and enforcing the provisions of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control.

“The smoke free policies can provide protections for non-smokers and may lead to increased successful cessation in smokers.”

Jo xxx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 08:53

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Totally flummoxed on this one. Wonder what else is involved to result in an increase in T2 from "second hand" smoke? Does anyone who smokes and has taken their BG notice a spike after smoking? Immediately, one wonders whether lifestyle and eating habits have a role. Are smokers less likely to watch their diets and eat more carbs in general, and can that extend to non-smoking family members? Sounds like another study requiring further analysis.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 09:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Don't know, but I think some of the issue might be related to having a spouse/parent/whatever who has unhealthy habits might mean you do too. It is a link, not causation.

Breathing the effects of combustion causes problems, that isn't surprising, but I'd be willing to bet it is the health-user bias one-off this time.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 11:44

Plan: IF, LCHF
Stats: 175/110/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 130%

Smoker here. Who can afford test strips and is not afraid to use them.

I ran several series of tests. For me, smoking does not have an immediate impact on BG level (what it is doing in the long run is a whole other story).
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 11:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

My thoughts are that in the 50s, 60s, 70s etc people were allowed to smoke inside and in public places - in which case t2d must have been epidemic in those days. There must have been a sharp drop in t2d when the smoking ban came into play?????

The report doesnt really mention smokers as such, just passive smokers???

I cant believe that they can report such unverified rubbish

Jo xxx
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 18:53

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

We are part of the problem when we consume the product, that is, click the links, from irresponsible researchers and journalists who imply causation from epidemiological studies that measure risk.

Personally if the headline includes the word "risk" and some dire link, I ignore it.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 19:05

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I wonder if driving down the freeway and breathing lots of Carbon Monoxide also has the same effect?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 20:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I wonder if driving down the freeway and breathing lots of Carbon Monoxide also has the same effect?

It does, if you're eating the box of fries cradled in your lap as you drive.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 13:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Nicotine but not smoking per se, is known to up regulate lipolysis. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Then again, maybe it's harder to live with smokers so people self medicate with sugar.

Then again, maybe the researchers didn't get all their controls in place.