Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 09:01

Plan: Keto/ Atkins/Paleo
Stats: 255/255/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Why does my BG go up after exercise??

I have just re- started my LCHF diet seriously 3 days ago, at the same tie I bought a meter so I could test BS.
My BS is always high in the morning but drops by lunch

today I did not test after breakfast
1st reading 152
Then I ate breakfast and played 1 hour of platform tennis
came home and tested 148!

Same thing happened the other day after an exercise class BG went up when I thought it should go down.

I do not want to go on medication, I am really trying to do this with diet, but I don't understand these readings.

Thank You
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 10:17

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

Others more experienced will probably chime in soon but here goes. Mine did that also in the beginning. The reason I believe is that I was overexcerting to some degree. When we overexcert it puts a stress on the body and raises or at least doesn't lower BG. I was walking twice daily as hard as I could and maybe pushing it too soon. Of course that excercise was beneficial in the long run but I was so out of shape that it didn't take much to stress my body. Even now excercise doesn't always lower my BG like some people say but it's doing better as I'm in better shape and much lighter.

Example -- last night after eating a dinner that raised my BG to 114 2 hours after eating (kind of freaked me out as its not usually that high anymore) it dropped to 104 after 3 hours on its own then I went walking and it dropped to 84. So I was pleased. However the other day excercie only dropped my BG by 1 or 2 points.

So I think moderate excercie is the key in the beginning -- daily excercie but not pushing it too hard -- building up steadily as we get healthy.

As I said other more experienced members probably can spell it out better for you and maybe provide other answers.

Dennis

Last edited by Whited : Thu, Jun-11-15 at 12:37.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 10:44

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

My highest blood glucose for the day is generally when I'm working out. The more keto I am vs. higher protein low carbohydrate, the less of a rise I get.

In the short term, intense exercise can cause a blood glucose spike, but in the long term, it can improve glucose tolerance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjTmdvFH3gQ

I don't know if you've seen this video with Dr. Jay Wortman. One diabetic patient was controlling his blood glucose with a low carb diet. When he ate off plan at a single-day event, it took a week or so for his blood glucose to go back down to non-diabetic numbers. Sometimes these things just take longer than we want them to. A little exercise, to help you run through those glycogen stores a bit sooner, might be a good thing, even if it does cause an increase in blood glucose.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 14:42

Plan: Keto/ Atkins/Paleo
Stats: 255/255/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Thanx Guys I was a bit freaked out