Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > My P.L.A.N. Tool Support Forum
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 15:43

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Mayonnaise?

I tried to find real mayonnaise in the data base, but there appear to be only a tofu based one, a low calorie and low sodium one, a no cholesterol one and a reduced-calorie no cholesterol one. There are also lots of mayonnaise like salad dressing listed, but no real mayonnaise.

I realize this is a USDA data base, not yours, but mayonnaise is such a popular item for low-carbers that I feel it should be added to the data base.

I have to admit I am shocked that the UDSA would test 17 items that are all forms of fake mayonnaise, but not real mayonnaise.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 16:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I tried to find real mayonnaise in the data base, but there appear to be only a tofu based one, a low calorie and low sodium one, a no cholesterol one and a reduced-calorie no cholesterol one. There are also lots of mayonnaise like salad dressing listed, but no real mayonnaise.

I realize this is a USDA data base, not yours, but mayonnaise is such a popular item for low-carbers that I feel it should be added to the data base.

I have to admit I am shocked that the UDSA would test 17 items that are all forms of fake mayonnaise, but not real mayonnaise.

You can add it as a custom entry.

In the next phase of this project, we will provide sharing tools for custom items and recipes, where we can make many of the custom items and recipes available to all, provided they have sufficient nutritionaldata.

Wa'il
  #168   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 14:31

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

How about on the Health Stats page we have the option of entering Triglycerides as well.
  #169   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 14:33
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC-Laur
How about on the Health Stats page we have the option of entering Triglycerides as well.

Yes, it should have been there.

Wa'il
  #170   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 17:19

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Wa'il, from the main Summary page, if you click on add/edit note, it brings up the notes summary page, which shows from Feb 27th through today. Would it be better if you just showed today's date and then we could use the jump to command if we wanted to enter a different date? Or, alternatively, go ahead and jump right to entering a note for today's date.

Should it still be showing February on the notes summary page? It also has two "jump to" drop downs shown, the one for February and the one for March.
  #171   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 17:31
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by diemde
Wa'il, from the main Summary page, if you click on add/edit note, it brings up the notes summary page, which shows from Feb 27th through today. Would it be better if you just showed today's date and then we could use the jump to command if we wanted to enter a different date? Or, alternatively, go ahead and jump right to entering a note for today's date.

Should it still be showing February on the notes summary page? It also has two "jump to" drop downs shown, the one for February and the one for March.

The notes page shows a full week. This is because most notes are a sentence or two, and it's easier to read a week's worth, rather than navigate for each day's comment.

The jump dates, are to select the week to jump to.

This week happens to be in February and March, so you get to jump to a week in either month, or alternatively, click on the next/previous week.

It was intended to have the look and feel of vBulletin's weekly calendar mode.

What we can do though, it let it scroll by default to today's date within the week, if this make it easier...

Wa'il
  #172   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 19:49

Oh, this makes sense then. I hadn't worked with it before, so was thinking it was monthly. Duh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian
What we can do though, it let it scroll by default to today's date within the week, if this make it easier...

I like this idea.
  #173   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 20:03

One more request, a tricky one...

Can you come up with a way to show calorie deficit? This would be calories in minus calories burned. I know the calories burned would be the hard part, but if you can calculate it from the combination of BMR and exercises entered that would be ideal.

I know a problem I have on entering the resistance training is that I don't enter duration. I don't really know how to enter that so it's accurate. What I'd really love is a way to show calories burned simply based on sets, reps and weights. That's probably too hard, though.

Thanks.
  #174   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 21:13
Forum Founder

Quote:
One more request, a tricky one...

Can you come up with a way to show calorie deficit? This would be calories in minus calories burned. I know the calories burned would be the hard part, but if you can calculate it from the combination of BMR and exercises entered that would be ideal.

I know a problem I have on entering the resistance training is that I don't enter duration. I don't really know how to enter that so it's accurate. What I'd really love is a way to show calories burned simply based on sets, reps and weights. That's probably too hard, though.

Thanks.

I'll add caloric deficit to my to-do list. The development work for it isn't that hard, it's finding a formula that makes sense that's tricky, and may require a lot of feedback to fine tune.

As to reps and set expenditure, I think the easiest way to guestimate it is by entering it as cardio weight-lifting, or cistomizing a cardio entry for a specific level of intensity.

Wa'il
  #175   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 15:41

Wa'il, the order in which you do resistance exercise can make a difference. Especially if you are decreasing weights or reps. Is there any way to let us depict the order when we enter the exercise for the day? It appears to be storing it in a predefined order.
  #176   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 16:05
Forum Founder

Quote:
Wa'il, the order in which you do resistance exercise can make a difference. Especially if you are decreasing weights or reps. Is there any way to let us depict the order when we enter the exercise for the day? It appears to be storing it in a predefined order.

The way it currently orders the wrokouts within a day is as follows:

1. Order by body part (back, upper arms, etc), then
2. order the workout of each body part by the each specific exercise.

We can change it to:

2. order the workout of each body part by the each specific exercise (like bench press), then
3. order by entry sequence (i.e. maintain the order of entry, set 1, set 2 etc.)

That would be an easy change, and sounds like what you're talking about?

Wa'il
  #177   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian
We can change it to:

2. order the workout of each body part by the each specific exercise (like bench press), then
3. order by entry sequence (i.e. maintain the order of entry, set 1, set 2 etc.)

This would be a step in the right direction, but I'd really like to see it ordered by entry sequence, regardless of body part, reps, etc. In an ideal world, I would do all of one body part together, but sometimes the equipment is in use and I'm jumping around. The couple of times I worked with a personal trainer in a group setting, he had us do one set on one machine, then do one set on a different machine, then come back to the first machine for the next set. To get the best workout, you don't want to wait more than 30 seconds or so betwen sets, so I'd like be able to look back and see if the order I do things is hindering my progress. If you don't think this is worthwhile, or if others want to keep it this way, then I can just log the order in my gym log and use that as my reference.

Thanks.
  #178   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 09:57
Forum Founder

Quote:
This would be a step in the right direction, but I'd really like to see it ordered by entry sequence, regardless of body part, reps, etc.

Beware what you whish for Making it in the sequence of entry is very easy to implement. But it may have undesirable effects. Say you entered 3 sets for a bench press, 3 sets of curls, and then you forgot a 4th set of bench-press that you didn't enter. If we do it by sequence of entry, you will need to delete the 3 sets of curls, add the 4th set of bench press, and then re-enter the 3 sets of curls, so that the order would be correct. Sorting by body part, then exercise, then by order of entry, eliminates this problem.

I'm not saying it's not worthwhile, I'm just anticipating the complainst we'll get if it's done by sequence of entry

We can add a box where members can explicitly state the sequence they want to record each set, but it would clutter things a bit, and if there are 4 exercises, 3 sets each, you will need to update 12 boxes to change the sequence. So I'm not sure if this is desirable

Wa'il
  #179   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 09:46
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC-Laur

Now available

Wa'il
  #180   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-05, 16:09
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

One thing I wish we had is for when you don't know exactly how the food you are eating is prepared or what cut of meat it is, for example:

Quote:
Steak, NS as to type of meat, cooked, NS as to fat eaten 12 oz, boneless, cooked 862 51 0 95

Beth