Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 17:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/175/130
BF:
Progress: 8%
Unhappy Atkins not working

Ok, since two weeks ago I was all gung ho about the Atkins diet...now, I don't know what is happening. I am a diabetic who lowered my insulin shots, then discontinued completely. I had been up to 50 units a day. I dropped it when I got to 20 units, and started the Atkins diet. I will admit that I tried the Atkins diet one other time about two years ago. At that time, it worked like a charm, and my sugar came tumbling down, I was able to get off insulin that time. However, this time it has been totally different. Inspite of having no more then 20 carbs a day, and measuring moderate ketosis...my sugar has gotten higher and higher, further into the diet. Really crazy. I changed doctors and he prescribed Amaryl 4mg to add to Glucophage 2000mg. My sugar came down a bit, and we shall see where we are regarding glucose, since I have only taken the new med for two days. Still, it is really weird that my sugar would stay high and go higher inspite of the Atkins diet. Any one have any ideas about this. Any help will be appreciated. Forgive me for being so long winded. Thanks. Oh and a ps...how do I check answers to my post without going through all the threads?? Bye Elaine25
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 20:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello Elaine. that's too bad that you are getting different results this time. Have you posted this question in the Diabetes forum? There will be people there who might be able to help you.

If you want to be able to go right to your thread, post another message in this thread. (Just a word like "test" is enough.) Before you click on Submit, make sure you click on the box beside "E-mail notification" You'll get an e-mail when someone answers the thread, which will have a URL to take you directly to the thread. You can do that each time you post a message (but you may not want to have so many e-mails coming in. )

I hope you get some help & information.

#3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 13:27
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/243/174
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default have you tried...

there is a lil book called the Bible cure for diabetes it is by Don Colbert and he lists some vitamins in there and in large amounts and I bought them and I took them and after a while (maybe a week or two..can't remember) it brought my blood sugars under control just like he said it would. I was stupid and allowed my doc to put me on metformin and I stopped the vitamins. Don't know why I didn't think to restart them when metformin didn't work well enough. I am going to faithfully take them though..... oh and if you do take them be sure and find ones without added flours and glycerine.

I will send up a prayer for you!

be blessed!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 17:48
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I moved your thread to the Diabetes sub-forum... you'll have a better chance of getting your question answered here!

Best of luck to you!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 21:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/180/145
BF:
Progress: 39%

Have you read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution? It's an excellent lowcarb plan for insulin and non-insulin dependant diabetics. Good luck to you!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 04:16

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Oh here's a great suggestion, but getting your doctor to do it will be another matter entirely: Find out what your fasting insulin level is. It is *possible* that your pancreas may be giving up (very low insulin level). If not, if your reading is in the normal to high range you have something else going on altogether. We may be able to give you some idea of what's going on. Give us some particulars on what you are eating and how much exercise you are getting and how often. I post to other diabetes forums and I've seen where some folks in an effort to get this weight thing under control NOW will actually exercise too much. A diabetic does not handle stress well at all and too much exercise can elicit a glucose response from the liver, which will raise the BG's. (Or you may not be exercising enough....)