Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 13:12

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Aleka's No Sweat Log--Right!!!

Aug.5, 2004

After watching many of you make such drastic changes and with encouragement by several friends--I am finally here and aiming to lose a few pounds, tone up and in general get healthier. I had my first weight session with my trainer-Angie-this past Tuesday. Presently I am lifting 2 days a week and doing some other type of exercise 3 days per week. I have osteoporosis with several fractures in my spine and arthritis so we are starting slower than probably most of you are doing--but better slow than sorry!

Tuesday-Aug 3:-- Lifting--All done with 12 Reps x2
Verticle Press-30 lbs.
Pectoral Fly-20 lbs.
Shoulder Press-15 lbs.
Lat. pull down-30 lbs.
Abdominal Crunch-40 lbs.
Bicep Curls-20 lbs.
Tricep Dip-60 lbs.
Thighsolator 30 lbs.
Leg Extension-30 lbs.
Leg Curl-30 lbs.

Wednesday-Aug. 4:
Swimming-30 laps-64 feet per lap = 1,920 feet total.

Thursday-Aug.5: --Lifting--All done with 12 reps.x2
Verticle Press-35 lbs.
Pectoral Fly-20 lbs.
Shoulder Press- 10 lbs.
Lat Pull Down-30lbs.
Abdominal Crunch-40 lbs.
Bicep Curls-20 lbs.
Tricep Dip- 60 lbs.
Thighsolator- 60 lbs.
Leg Extension-40 lbs.
leg curl-40 pounds.

Weight:231 fully dressed
Bicep:17
Chest:48
Waist: 43
Abdomen: 49 1/2
Thigh: R) 24 1/2------L) 24 3/4

I came home today a bit shakey--I will be going to Walmart later on to pick up some glutamine powder recommended to me by friends. I did swollow 10- 500mg. tablets I had on hand here to equal the 5 grams recommended to take.

Before going this morning I drank an EAS french vanilla shake for my breakfast. It contains 15 G. protein. After I came home I was hungry and made myself a large salad with 2 ounces of blue cheese and 1 1/2 slices of salami and 2 T. blue cheese dressing. Getting protein into me as recommended. YUM!!

Believe it or not--think I am going to really like this. I did this 10 years ago and forgot how much I did like it back then.

Right now--the sorest part of my body is the muscles between my shoulder blades. Running in second place is my Lats. Have a Great Day everyone.

Bless each and everyone of you that encouraged me to start this---You Are the BEST!!!!

Last edited by ALEKA : Thu, Aug-05-04 at 16:08.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 13:19
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

Hi Alice! I hadn't dropped by in such a long time I thought I had better. (Having niceness withdrawals) heh heh heh!
And look at what you're up to. Great job Alice! I think your workout schedule looks awesome. Good for you.
Congrats and big hugs.
Pam.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 13:19

BF:

I forgot to say that prior to lifting I warmed up on the bike for 7 minutes--After lifting we did about 60-90 seconds of stretching. While there I also downed 20 ounces of water too!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 15:27

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 305/221/180 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 67%

Alice,
your work out really looks great. I bet once you really get into the weight you'll love it as much as I do The first thing I did when I got home after lifting was drink some l-glutimine

Hugs,
joan
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 16:11

BF:

Went to Walmart to get the L-glutamine--didn't have it so had to go to the health food store. The pound size ran $38.95. Whew wasn't expecting that. But if it really helps-it will be worth it.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 16:12
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%

wohoooo Alice super workout. Now we all will get buff soon
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 22:34

BF:

Family was here after Drews Bible School Program and we all had coffee. I put my glutamine in my coffee but it did give my coffee a slightly sour taste. Tomorrow will try it in just plain water. Maybe it reacted with the cream in my coffee a bit??
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 06:11

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Hi Alice! Great job on your workouts. I just mix the L-glut in a little bit of warm water and chug it. Some folks take it before bed, too. I do when I remember. Does your pre-lifting shake have carbs in it? You want some before hand.

Keep up the great work!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 07:29

BF:

Hey Alice,
The last L-glutimeine I got was about that price, but it was a big container, over a pound size. I just mix mine with plan water, and mine doesn't have any taste at all.

Are you doing Cardio today???

Hugs,
joan
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 11:32

BF:

Alice,
I asked Brian just the other day about how many calories I was burning while lifting weights, and his reply was....since our bodies continue to burn calories long after the weight lifting it is hard to say.......so the good news is even after we are done lifting weights, we are still burning those calories.

Hugs,
Joan
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 12:01

BF:

Mischa, Dianne, Joan and Pam--

Thanks for stopping by and giving me the thumbs up! Dianne--the EAS shakes only have 1 impact carb--guess I was concentrating more on the protein than the carbs. How many carbs do you recommend?

Mischa--I have a ways to go to think BUFF!!

Joan--Thanks for the info from Brian--I just wondered if there was a guesstament --or approximate for the time. Guess that would be hard to say wouldn't it? On the glutamine--so far only found a $3.00 difference in price for ordering the stuff after you add on the shipping cost. If I find it cheaper any place else--will let you know.

Hope you all have a great weekend. I am getting ready to go to the pool--and get my belly cold.---BRRRRRrrrrrrr!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 13:59

BF:

Ok 8/6-4th day.

Swimming- 35 laps--64 fee per lap = 2,240 feet.

Mischa--I talked to Angie about the swimming and she said she though that would be fine since I am assisted by the water. I am afraid the dreadmill is going to be out for me from now on because it seems to be the walking/jarring that causes my spine to compress on the nerves in my back. So guss it will be swimming-biking-maybe trying out the elliptical like joan is using as it isn't supoosed to give any jarring but we aren't there yet.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 15:27

BF:

Hey Alice,
your doing great with the swimming. I like the ellipitical machine cause there is no stress on my knees. The bike does (if I do it more than 15 minutes) give my knees fits.

Your doing great, and I'm so proud of you...BTW, how is Bill doing with his workouts???

Hugs,
joan
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 17:24

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEKA
It only has 1 g. carb and 15 g. protein. How much do you recommend before weight lifting??

This is a bit like the blind leading the blind. I'm not really sure, but you could start with 5-10 and see how that works for you. You will burn them off during your strength training (you don't need carbs before cardio work). So I think it also depends on how hard you are pushing yourself. I think the recommended form is dextrose, but I haven't worried about what kind of carbs to have yet. A lot of bodybuilders eat Smarties (the candy) before their workouts. I've tried a few things, mixing in half a banana in my strawberry Atkins shake (that's wonderful!). I also just ate a banana one day and that worked well for me. It's more like 15 carbs, though. I've mixed in cranberry juice a couple of times too.

Oh, one other note, a lot of folks think you need carbs immediately after the WO in addition to the protein. Men do, but some women gain fat when they do that. So if you do have carbs afterwards, just keep it low.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-04, 10:02

BF:

Day 5--8/7

Was thinking of taking today off from exercise--but my aim is to get 5 days a week in--so that means--today I swim again.

Yesterday--food was off as well as water. Just had a bad day all around the food and water area. I did not eat the wrong things--just too much at the restaurant last night. It will not happen today!!

Be back later to post my laps.