Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-10, 15:41

Plan: nothign specific
Stats: 107/107/107 Female 166
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy any satisfying substitutes for 'real' snacks?

Yes, I do realize I'm asking for the (near) impossible. I mean, on a low carb, sugar-free,-yeast-free, etc etc-free diet, the only thing that seems left is the occasional handful of nuts or seeds (and in strict moderation!)
I wasn't a junk food/chips/candybar fan before I went on the diet, but I LOVE to bake and make desserts from scratch (while staying health-conscious). My snacks were usually a good bowl of fruits, but I regularly enjoyed pieces of high quality +70% chocolate (none of that fake hershey stuff or snickers bars, etc), along with homemade oatmeal cookies, maybe even a slice of bread sparingly topped with nutella.

Now that I'm fighting candida, not only is all of that out of the question, but it seems that I can't even eat the healthy stuff! I feel guilty when I have a pear or a cup of strawberries for breakfast (alone!), and even more when I have a cup of oats (=fiber) for snack time! It's like I'm continuously sabotaging myself just by eating healthy and I'm completely miserable.
I read somewhere that some people find it easier to treat 'snacks' as smaller versions of regular meals, but let's be honest: crunchy/salty/sweet cravings set aside, you need something FILLING.
How do you deal with it??

What I've tried so far:
-drinking lots of water at a time to fill up the stomach
-(finally quit chewing gum, so that's out)
-popcorn's out (corn)
-eating plantain chips (but too salty and carb-laden)
-raw veggies or left overs (rarely satisfies)
-a handful of nuts (which I don't even enjoy unless they're a dessert topping or something )
-not eating at all. Which sorta works but not really.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-11, 23:18

Plan: Atkins, Anti-Candida diet
Stats: 128/121.2/118 Female 5'5"
BF:hip/waist ratio
Progress: 68%

I use coconut flour and almond flour, erythritol, butter, and stevia to make my own cakes and cookies.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-11, 14:38

Plan: Bees healing diet
Stats: 110/111/125 Male 67"
BF:
Progress:

Try vitamin C powder mixed in water, has a good hit of sourness. I like to put it on my tongue and eat it like sherbet, I just love the sour shiver. It really helps get rid of cravings for sweet things. There are lots of nice recipes using coconut oil and other coconut products
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-11, 15:13

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Eat properly balanced meals 3 times per day and you wont feel the need to snack.