Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 19:19

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Question CAD/CALP & TKD

Has anyone ever "combined" these two? The 25-50gr carb before your workout, follow CAD/CALP the rest of the day? The workout supposedly "uses up" the carbs, and gives you energy for a better, stronger workout.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 21:03
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

No, I haven't. The beauty of CAD to me is not having to bother with counting carbs in the first place. Foods from acceptable list during the day, balanced meal for supper...
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 07:32

Talking Hi there!

Thanks for replying. That's one thing that's attracting me to CAD! I'm only "counting" the carbs before my workout so I don't go over. I want them used up! I've been having trouble keeping my carbs down. It doesn't help that I crave stuff, even if it's S/F, it still has SOME carbs. I try to "justify" it to myself that it's s/f, but the count at the end of the day is still too high.

I don't know if this will work or not. That's why I was wondering if anyone else had tried it.

My workout went better than I expected this morning. I raised the weight from 5 lbs to 8 lbs. I know, doesn't sound like much, but when you do a lot of them, it starts to get tiring. I walk around a dirt track my H and kids made for the 4-wheeler. It's close to the house, and no one can really see me, or stop me to talk.. Plus, I probably look pretty silly, here's what I do.

Round two/four/six/eight/ten on track (takes 30 min)
1 set of 10 reps tricep extensions
1 set of 10 reps bicep curls
1 set of 10 reps shoulder press
1 set of 10 reps hammer curls
A 2nd set of 10 reps tircep extensions (need another tricep exercise I can do while walking.
1 set of 10 reps forearm curls.

Round one/three/five/seven/nine
I just carry them. I'll adjust again to carrying them at half mast for my biceps, but not just yet. Arms did get tired this morning..

I'm hoping the TKD part of this will keep me from feeling like a nap after my workouts. So far I feel okay. But, it could be because it's new..
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 22:11

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

Don't really think your plan is going to work with CAD. The whole science behind it is based on minimal carb complimentary meals w/ a 60 min. reward meal. No where in that does it seem "fueling up" for a workout will be remotely on plan. I really think you will be sabotaging the success of the program before you're out of the gate.

Sorry to sound negative, but CAD followed properly should really so wonderful, but played around with...it doesn't seem to work.

Deb
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 05:50

Smile Hi!

No, I realize I'm not following it perfectly. And if I don't see positive results, I will cut out the before work out snack. So, far though, so good. My weight was down .2 this am. No, it's not much, but I find it amazing considering what I ate yesterday!! I didn't have too bad a day, until the afternoon. Then I had a piece of cheese, was feeling a bit hungry. I realized later that night that I shouldn't have done that as it put me at five meals. Two cms and two css. And on the days I don't work out, I will not be having that high carb "snack" first thing. That is strictly for the workout. I'm waiting for my new book as my old one is on the loan circuit! This one will not go out on loan!! They already have one.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 06:13

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

When I was experimenting with another eating plan over the summer, I was eating a lot of fruit followed by whole-grain cereal and FF milk. I ate LC the rest of the day. I was hungry all the time as a result of this WOE. When I went back to proper CAD, I was not hungry all the time. As far as the CM's and CS's go, the CALP book doesn't restrict meals, exept to keep them to plan. You can eat as much as you need to, just combine the allowed LC veggies with some protein.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 07:30

Smile Hi!

Well, if I ate several pieces of fruit, a bowl of cereal with fat free milk, I'd probably do the exact same thing. My carb snack is planned to be 25-50gr. I've had a half of an english muffin with a tablespoon of fruit jelly on it. I eat low carb until RM. I'm not sure if I did the 1/3 rule right with my RM last night, but I guess it was close enough as I didn't wake up hungry. I'm planning to put all my meals in FitDay to help me keep an eye on whether or not my cs and cm are within range/reason. I know I need to keep an eye on myself, and not start slipping and having a whole english muffin with a tablespoon on each. That would be over 50g of CHO. Eating the CHO has a purpose with TKD, to create an insulin spike for building muscle. Here's a site where they discuss INJECTING themselves with insulin for this purpose... http://www.anabolicstore.com/anabol...ids/Insulin.htm Here's one that talks about muscle building. http://www.ast-ss.com/research/crib...cle_8-20-01.asp
I think I'd rather eat a little CHO than give myself a shot! I am also working out IMMEDIATELY after eating this high CHO snack. It's a documented fact that exercise lowers insulin. http://www.mercola.com/2000/jul/30/exercise_insulin.htm I can't really combine TKD with Atkins or CKD as they both are based largely on ketosis. TKD you eat low carb the rest of the time. It seems to be rather new, I didn't see any carb counts. CAD/CALP isn't. (Did I remember correctly?). What I'm trying to do, is eat enough CHO to assist my muscle building/exercise, yet not enough to last beyond the work out. Today, I still feel pretty good. When I try to follow Atkins and exercise, I end up very tired. I know they say that passes, but my H has problems with the breath, and I have problems with the taste in my mouth. Yech! And again, I'll be following CAD/CALP guidelines on the weekend when I'm not working out.